Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
esspea
CVASMember

PostSubject: suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?   Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Ive got an already established tank and have recently purchased some yellow labs that are holding fry..one of the two spit the fry the day after I got them and the fry have been slowly showing up...about 4. Now, when the second female spits her brood im afraid there wont be places to hide for them...I know nature vs nurture however id like to give the little guys a fair shot! My space is very limited so does anyone have any suggestions on suitable tank decor that would provide the additional hiding spaces?

Oh shout out to the homie MPowers :-D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?   Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Careful, they will take over the tank! fish The arts and craft stores sell the mini clay pots, buy enough to make a pile.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
esspea
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?   Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:07 pm

I was also looking at large barnacles? But I only have a couple and dont know where to get more
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?   Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:27 pm

I've bred them in a cluster of base rock, stacked in such a way to create a network of caves. This same setup also worked for a colony of brichardi and a great colony of leleupi. Anything where they can tuck themselves away should work.

View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?   Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Congrats on the spawn esspea, that's awesome!

lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?   Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Despite what you might hear otherwise, I'd rule out the caves at Tora Bora.

If you have the room, a 10 gallon tank (or larger) is a good start for growing out fry. Of course you need to catch them first...

What sort of tankmates do they have?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
esspea
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:46 am

How do you feed them in a community tank
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:09 am

You have see all the fry swimming around in my tank....somehow they survive a little too well on on the left overs and avoid being eaten (although I'm sure a good bit are eaten).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:07 pm

@mpowers wrote:
You have see all the fry swimming around in my tank....somehow they survive a little too well on on the left overs and avoid being eaten (although I'm sure a good bit are eaten).

I also find that a couple always seem to survive. They eat the small pieces of food that the adults gobble and expel through gills and mouth after grinding up, as well as peck at algae and bacteria that adhere to rocks, plants and such. Sometimes as the fry get a little older I toss in with the regular feeding some fry food just to help the little guys out a bit. You can drive yourself crazy trying to get the hatches out and soon you''l find you don't have enough tanks to suppport all the fry that they keep cranking out. Unless you specifically set up breeder tanks. Let nature have it's way. Overtime your going to have to thin them out anyway.

cichlidshane
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?   Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:08 pm

I agree with a few posters here. If I see a cichlid not eating and the chin is bulging out chances are you got a female holding. I keep my water a little warmer than some at about 81 degrees since I typically grow out my fish and enjoy seeing the whole color change process happen. This I think may also allow the eggs to develop slightly faster in the mothers mouth. Once I notice the female not eating and she is holding I wait about 14-15 days assuming that they spawned 24-48hrs before I noticed. I check my tanks almost every day. Once you see some darkening area under the front of the chin your eggs maybe almost ready. I think this dark area is due to the eyes of the fry developing and that is somewhat near the time they may be free swimming. You should see this around 15 days. You will also notice the mother has thinned down since she is not eating much. a trick I have learned and its just my own experience here...is I have a 10g tank that I keep at about 78 degrees. I have two breeder female holding compartments. One is plastic and the other is a net like material. I have noticed that if I put the holding female in the water and its a bit colder it seems to make them spit the fry out. Not every time but saved me some time stripping them. I always fear I will stress the female out when stripping them and normally just get all I can and let her spit the last 1-2 fry in the tank. You can either add her to a hospital tank and feed her a bit before putting her back in your main tank or just put her in there. Up to you. She will be weak and may hide until she has eaten a few times. I have some old live rock from my saltwater days and it has tons of hiding places and some dead hard corals that give many places for the fry to live as well. You will be surprised how many fry will live in your main tank. You will just have to get them out later as the over crowd it. You can get lava rocks and stack them in a way that has lots of tiny caves and such. Sorta a Fry safe area of your tank. They are very fast and its not easy to catch a fry.

PostSubject: Re: suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?   

Back to top Go down

suitable structure to provide fry hiding spaces ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Breeding-