Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Brown and albino Bristlenose Plecostomus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ciscosdad
CVASMember

PostSubject: Brown and albino Bristlenose Plecostomus   Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:42 pm

My BN trio consists of a brown male and two albino females. These are my first catfish spawns I'm hoping I didn't mess up. Is it a bad thing to cross color morphs? The spawns have both color types in them which I think says the male is a cross also. Is this a bad thing to do? Should I split up the trio? If it a bad thin does anyone want to trade two albino females for one brown Laughing ? Not sure what to do. I don't want to offer up an undesirable fish for sale or trade.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Brown and albino Bristlenose Plecostomus   Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:09 pm

As long as you tell folks they are Hybrids, I see no issue with this. This issue has been covered many times in previous posts, and can certainly start big and heated conversations. As long as what you are raising makes you happy, as well as not passing on the little ones to someone that does not know they are Hybrids, go for it. Many breeders want to know the fish they are breeding have not been crossed as it is their belief the strain has been comprimised.

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Brown and albino Bristlenose Plecostomus   Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:32 am

They aren't really a hybrid. Albinism is a mutation(a lack of pigment). It is a recessive trait, so a fish can carry it, but not express it if it has the normal color gene also.

It looks like you have a male that carries the albino gene. The offspring are getting the albino gene from their mother. 1/2 of them get the dad's normal gene and 1/2 will get the albino gene. Those getting albino genes from both parents will be albinos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Brown and albino Bristlenose Plecostomus   Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:55 pm

@ciscosdad wrote:
My BN trio consists of a brown male and two albino females.  These are my first catfish spawns I'm hoping I didn't mess up.  Is it a bad thing to cross color morphs?  The spawns have both color types in them which I think says the male is a cross also.  Is this a bad thing to do?  Should I split up the trio?  If it a bad thin does anyone want to trade two albino females for one brown Laughing ?  Not sure what to do.  I don't want to offer up an undesirable fish for sale or trade.

I know it's been a while, but do you have any of the offspring from this cross? Did you determine that the Blond offspring were true Albino? What percentage were Albino?study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brown and albino Bristlenose Plecostomus   

Back to top Go down

Brown and albino Bristlenose Plecostomus

View previous topic View next topic Back to top