Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Show us your corys!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Show us your corys!   Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 am

First topic message reminder :

Corydoras habrosus

Here are a couple of Corydoras habrosus, or "habbies," snuggling under the plants. These corys are one of the pygmy types and grow to just over one inch, with the females being a little stouter overall.

What corys do you have?

AuthorMessage
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Being wild-caught might explain why I quickly lost 4 of 5 of my new sterbai cories. My lone sterbai never seems to hang out with the peppereds. I'm going to keep trying-maybe not from Petsmart though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Johnny wrote:
Mine were captured at PetsMart. I hope they were tank or farm raised...

Is there any special reason you hope this?  The capture of wild corys is mostly the job of small-time, local collectors, and provides a living for entire families.  Cory populations in the wild are not threatened, AFAIK; in fact, they are quite abundant.  

@Gerald wrote:
Of course shops that buy or trade fish from local breeders (most big chains dont) might have other species captive-bred on occasion.

Azalea Aquariums in Mechanicsville is a good example of an LFS that provides this service to their customers.  There are at least two local "breeders" who supply C. habrosus when they can, and one such breeder has supplied a black form of C. aeneus in the past.  So far so good.  

But here is where it goes wrong, IMO.  One of these so-called breeders has developed a long-finned cory from one of the common species.  This dreadful apparition was pointed out to me by the owner.  One look was enough and I asked him to please never show me a long-finned cory again.  How can anyone think this is an improvement?

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Yeah I know what you mean.  Some people even think pale turquoise long-finned Betta splendens are an "improvement".  What is WRONG with those people ???  |;>)

@Deb wrote:
 One of these so-called breeders has developed a long-finned cory from one of the common species.  This dreadful apparition was pointed out to me by the owner.  One look was enough and I asked him to please never show me a long-finned cory again.  How can anyone think this is an improvement?

Anybody remember an old Richmond catfish breeder who ran sort of a shop in his house in the late 80's?  Tanks were stacked EVERYWHERE. He bred corys, whiptails, plecos, driftwood cats - all sorts of unusual stuff.  You had to prove to him you knew what you were doing before he'd let you buy his fish. I think his name was Ed ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:02 pm

This is a sensitive subject and the object of much passionate debate. Personally and this is just my opinion, I reserve the right not to judge. I do feel that every hobbyist has a responsibility to employ ecologic friendly practices and not release ornamental fish into the wild.

There are plenty of ornamental fish from which to choose. I don’t have any desire to keep wild caught fish. However, I realize that we would not have a hobby if wild caught fish were never introduced. Some fish are only available as wild caught specimens. I don’t condemn those who keep them and actually applaud those who are able to breed wild caught fish. They expand the number of fish available to guys like me. I have kept wild caught fish in the past but now days I prefer to avoid them.

I admit that I am somewhat liberal when it comes to hybridization. Some people consider Parrot fish to be an abomination. I think they are just another ornamental fish. Long finned Corries, I don’t have a problem with those either. Nor do I have a problem with Long fin Bristled Nose Plecos or Veil tailed Angelfish. I also don’t have a problem with Day-Glow or Neon Zebras and Tetras. Soon we may see Day-Glow Angelfish. If you don't like them, then don't buy them.

All selective breeding is manipulating genes, regardless of where it happens. That applies to our fish tanks, fish farms or test tubes. What may offend one hobbyist may excite another. What I do feel is most important is responsible fish keeping and protecting our environment...Smile 

BTW: This subject would make one heck of a thread...  Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:19 am

The long-finned corys I saw at the LFS were totally dragged down by yards and yards of curly, shreddy fin material.  Corys are expert at dashing off quickly - you hardly see them do it, just a cloud of sand remains - but with those long fins, the movement was very unnatural and difficult to watch.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 am

Really, I dont have a problem with ornamental strains and hybrids as long as they dont compromise the health and quality of life of the animals. "Parrotfish" cichlids, marble angels, glofish danios, long-fin splendens, even long-fin catfish and oscars ... they all seem to be reasonably happy healthy fish, even if they ain't normal. But selecting for deformed bodies that are prone to health problems, whether we're talking bubble-eye goldfish, big-breast turkeys, bulldogs, etc - that gets into cruelty issues IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:07 am

@Deb wrote:

The long-finned corys I saw at the LFS were totally dragged down by yards and yards of curly, shreddy fin material.  Corys are expert at dashing off quickly - you hardly see them do it, just a cloud of sand remains - but with those long fins, the movement was very unnatural and difficult to watch.

Those Long-finned Corys would definitely be at a disadvantage in the wild. I too have seen some varieties of fish that I wouldn't keep because the fish appear to struggle to survive because of the expression of some man derived trait. Yet these fish survive and even thrive because of the pampering we give them in our tanks. Some Goldfish come to mind, when I think of fish that have what I consider to have gross mutations but I realize that some other people consider them works of art.

There are a lot of different ways that hobbyist participate in Aquaria. What may be one person's cup of tea may be another person's poison...  shrug

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:19 am

@gerald wrote:
Really, I dont have a problem with ornamental strains and hybrids as long as they dont compromise the health and quality of life of the animals.  "Parrotfish" cichlids, marble angels, glofish danios, long-fin splendens, even long-fin catfish and oscars ... they all seem to be reasonably happy healthy fish, even if they ain't normal.  But selecting for deformed bodies that are prone to health problems, whether we're talking bubble-eye goldfish, big-breast turkeys, bulldogs, etc - that gets into cruelty issues IMO.

I must agree that some of our tampering with nature does border on cruelty and that's my poison...  I agree!

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Corydoras sodalis.   Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:26 am

C. sodalis is just about my favorite cory.  Here's one trying to hide.

Corydoras sodalis

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:02 pm

@Deb wrote:

He's an awesome looking Cory. Great job. Thanks for sharing. I have noticed that you like to keep Cories in most of your tanks... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:27 pm

@gerald wrote:
Anybody remember an old Richmond catfish breeder who ran sort of a shop in his house in the late 80's?  Tanks were stacked EVERYWHERE. He bred corys, whiptails, plecos, driftwood cats - all sorts of unusual stuff.  You had to prove to him you knew what you were doing before he'd let you buy his fish.  I think his name was Ed ?

Yes, I know exactly who you are referencing although I think you may have his name wrong. He has successfully breed, or at least attempted to breed, every darn catfish species ever created by God... A very successful breeder...

I do believe he is still around and still passionately keeping fish.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:31 pm

@Deb wrote:

Nice pic. I can see why they are your favorite.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:45 pm

@JohnnyAMH wrote:
I have noticed that you like to keep Cories in most of your tanks... Cool

It is pretty cool... If you hang around the forum long enough you begin to see the preferences of fish that each contributor passionately keeps.

Deb does indeed seem to love her Cories and all other catfishes(!) and I always enjoy learning from reading her posts.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:21 pm

@thegundog wrote:
@JohnnyAMH wrote:
I have noticed that you like to keep Cories in most of your tanks... Cool

It is pretty cool... If you hang around the forum long enough you begin to see the preferences of fish that each contributor passionately keeps.

Deb does indeed seem to love her Cories and all other catfishes(!) and I always enjoy learning from reading her posts.

Yes, I agree. I enjoy reading her post and many other posters here. My own tanks are looking better because I have been so inspired by the members of CVAS...  Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 am

@gerald wrote:
Anybody remember an old Richmond catfish breeder who ran sort of a shop in his house in the late 80's?  Tanks were stacked EVERYWHERE. He bred corys, whiptails, plecos, driftwood cats - all sorts of unusual stuff.  You had to prove to him you knew what you were doing before he'd let you buy his fish.  I think his name was Ed ?

Could this catfish breeder be named Dave Sombach?

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:48 pm

The guy I'm thinking of was probably in his 60s then - would be in his upper 80's now. There was a younger woman, maybe 30-ish who ran it with him. I was only there once, with somebody else driving, so I have no clue where in Richmond it was.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:49 pm

@Deb wrote:
Could this catfish breeder be named Dave Sombach?  

No Dave Sombach is not the person I am thinking about, and the guy I reference is not 80 so it's not the same person Gerald references.

I don't know Dave very well, but I know of him - he is a member of PVAS. He once played runner for me and delivered some fish from Pennsylvania. Real nice guy and very passionate about the hobby.

I think he lives in between Richmond and Fredericksburg and I believe he keeps and breeds a large variety of species.

finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:28 pm

Here's some of the Corydoras I have now and some I've had in the past. C. sterbai, C. similis, C. "green laser, gold laser and orange laser comparison, CW016 at 4 1/2 weeks, C. schultei "black" at 4 weeks. I'll try to add to the list with some images I have on CD and some fish in my tanks that I don't have any pictures of yet.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Some more Corydoras: C. undulates, C. virginae, C. surinamensis, C. seussi, C. robinae, and C. reynoldsi

Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:48 pm

My Albino cory

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:32 pm

They look great with a dark substrate, Steve. The Aquarium Center up in Baltimore had a display tank years ago with a black background, black gravel and low light. The only fish in the tank were albino Corydoras and albino kribs. It wasn't correct with nature, but made an outstanding display and really caught the eye.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Thanks Finzz, some of these Cory's spawned and I have about 40 baby albino corys. The babies are on white sand and they are much harder to see.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:38 pm

Here are a few more of the Corydoras that I have had. Some of the pictures are from the late 90s and early 2000s, but many of the fish are still in my fish room. C. osteocaras, C. nanus(M), C. panda, C. reticulatus, C.nanus (F), C. oiapoquensis, C. heiko, C09, C. concolor, C. leucomelas, Aspidoras  "black phantom C35, C. baianinho (I think they've changed in to a Scleromystax), C. duplicareus, C. axelrodi.  
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:00 am

Great pictures Don - thanks!

Back to top Go down
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:12 pm

@scruiz, your albinos look great, Steve!

@finzz, thanks for posting all those pix of your corys, past and present.  C. similis and C. concolor are among my favorites and are on my cory wish list.  It's nice to see these photos of them! 

I agree totally that the fish shown in the pic "C. baianinho" looks like it should be assigned to Scleromystax but I couldn't find it under S. baianinho, so the species name must have changed.  There are a few listed under Scleromystax in the Planet Catfish cat-elog with a similar white streak.  I love the long-nose corys.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Show us your corys!   

Back to top Go down

Show us your corys!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Catfish of the World :: South and Central American Catfish-