Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Lab with Bloat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fishyswas
CVASMember

PostSubject: Lab with Bloat    Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:47 am

any one know where to find seachem "Metronidazole" locally (Nova) i think i gotta a lab with bloat

20 gallon community , 1 fruit tetra , a cory cat and a blue lobster (crawfish)

46  gallon BF  Mbuna 4 electric yellow  Labs, Pictus Catfish,leopard pleco

40 gallon breeder ...Empty atm( dry)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:47 am

I wonder if John at KGTropicals would know?

View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:02 am

Can't help with the meds, but if you think your fish may have bloat, it wouldn't hurt to not feed for at least two days (the whole tank). Then see if it clears.

What are you feeding and how often?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:35 am

Have you tried epsom salt?

View user profile
Fishyswas
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:16 pm

has been moved to a 10 gal hospital tank with epson salt (not sure of the correct ratio for the 10 gallon) dont want to overwhelm

was feeding omega one cichlid 2 times a day

other 2 labs so far not showing any signs

i am treating hospital with "API general cure " cuz it at least listed Metronidazole as an ingrediant

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Looks like your doing everything right, I would just keep an eye on him/her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Good luck. I've had that happen in the past also and sadly lost some really nice fish. It can take quite a toll sometimes. Hopefully you caught it early and he/she will snap out of it. Really watch your other fish. I've seen what I thought was only one and then learn in a couple days more had it. I agree with mpowers to not feed the others as well for a couple days. You mentioned you feed twice a day. You may think about once per day or at the least cut back the amount for each feeding. I was recently reading an article about feeding Africans and it suggested feeding every other day and only one time per day. I don't know if I totally agree with that but I had reduced my feedings about 9 months ago to one time per day and found I have had a lot less issues with illnesses.

Fishyswas
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 pm

hmm ok well i have them on automatic feeder (test running for an up coming vacation) i could cut that back to once a day.

I'm currently feeding them omega 1 cichlid flakes but i read on label that it was listed as 39 % protein should i go to a lower protein like my community tank food ? I've also read some articles stating they put actual produce like cucumbers and such (for a clown pleco) which is my bottom feeder I wasn't aware live produce of sorts was edible to fish in its raw form ?? Is this for real ?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:21 am

I believe the type of food your feeding is fine. Pretty good stuff. Normally bloat is a result of overfeeding. Cichlids act like they are starved, and are pretty good beggars if they think you will give them more but resist, they will overeat leading to illness or worse. As to your question on live produce, yes it can be very good for them. Especially Herbivores and Omnivores, however, even Carnivores will benefit from time to time also. Many of our members feed peas, cucumber, endive, romaine, carrots and such. Very good for them actually. Leafy veggies like endive and romaine you can float, attach to something to sink, or buy the veggie clips with a suction cup found in a lot of LFS's. Just don't let it stay in there and get soggy or rot. Pleco's love it also. Since they feed more actively at night you may not see them eat it, but I assure you they will munch away.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:43 am

I agree with the suggestion to reduce feeding to once a day.

The Omega should be fine overall, you could add a raw veggie or a veggie wafer or veggie stick once in awhile...

If you are coming to the meeting tomorrow I have some veggie wafers I will give you to try out, just post back on the thread.

I've experienced bloat as well, but my issues I believe were as a result of stress not diet. I added Ruby Green Victorian Cichlids twice to my all male Peacock and Hap set up and on each occasion the Vic's developed bloat and passed very quickly. Not sure if your fellow was being picked on or not (?), labs are known as pretty docile... But the disease is not always diet related and stress is the leading factor in my opinion to a lot of disease, along with water quality issues.

Hope your fish is recovering well.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:20 am

Your right Tracey, stress can surely be a factor also. I have kept Labs for a long time and I know they are supposed to be relatively docile compared to many Africans, but I have also found them quite aggressive with each other especially if a female present. I introduced 3 new Labs to my tank in December and a dominant male nearly killed all three until I was able to get them out and place in another tank. One of them also developed bloat and died a week later.

Fishyswas
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:40 pm

Ohh thats very nice of you Tracey . Im not certain if Ill be able to make it though but i do appreciate your kind gesture ....

yes at this point i am not even sure it is bloat (mainly because its not really showing any actual bloat) i got the diagnosis from .... clamped fins ,hanging on the bottom , numerous flashing bouts against the sand and ornaments , way lack of appetite and now a very very abnormal emaciated (almost sunk in like body structure esp mid abdomen to tail) and these grey/black blotches lower belly to back of fin slight bout on forehead wife was constantly feeding him frozen blood worm cubes..

current treatment of hospital (or at this point perhaps hospice) 10 gal tank:

carbon less bio bag in in tank filter
air stone
tank temp 83-84
api general cure 2nd dose tonight
epson salt 1/4 cup on first night
3 tablespoons of sea salt last night
1 table spoon of melafix
20 drops of Acurel body guard rx vitiamin boost appetitite stimulant
5 drops of ultra cure Rx (gel food drops in attempt to allow it to ingest the rx) because i couldnt find metrotradazone (sp)to try to mix with his pellets
dark enclosed half coconut shell hide
and now the waiting game pretty much...

I look at it this way it will either medicate him back to health or send him on in a spa like setting with the tea tree oiled melafix the bubbles from the airated stone , the gourmet gel food meds and at leat also its giving me expeiriance to be a better doctor the next time around

sick fish

hopefully i got link to post this time

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishyswas
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:20 am

[img][/img

perhaps someone will re diagnose now that ive managed to get decent pictures and video ...

dark spots were darker b4 hospital

body seems awkwardly shaped to me

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Okay Mark, this does not look like bloat. I had posted awhile back about some of my Mbunas developing the concave belly also. I went to Azalea where they felt it was more of a matter of stress along with not getting sufficient food. They suggested which I reluctantly tried purchasing a plastic betta display tank that suction cups on the inside glass of the aquarium. Place the fish in the betta tank and feed him or her seperatley to keep the competition from out competing for food. The reason they suggested the betta tank was if you removed the fish to place in a hospital tank to strengthen and nurse back to health, then place back in the original tank, often times the other fish will again attack and possibly kill. Remember I said reluctantly, but I have to admit it worked. In the past I have taken Mbunas out to put in a hospital tank to only have them attacked and injured ny the existing dwellers after reintroducing.
YourLab is looking pretty bad so I would try something soon so you don't lose him/her.

mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Eek, poor thing. I'm with Ron, looks awful thin and stressed. Never had one that bad, even mothers who have gone a month with out eating. Have you posted on cichlid-forum? If not I would just in case, it's something I have no experience with. Wish I could offer better advice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:55 am

It might be some type of infection in the organs. My advice is do NOT let him die in the tank with other fish where the dead body can release whatever bacteria, protozoa, etc may be inside. Keep him separate if it looks like he's not gonna make it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishyswas
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:02 pm

he/she has begun to eat pellets that i leave to soak and sink i have it still in the hospital tank and inside a floating breeding box so that i can monitor its eating its slow but pellets are being consumed and the blotches are returning to yellow albeit slowly but none the less are returning and body prior to anus is filling back going to try some live ruffage such as lettuce or peas and maybe add some more epson salt to the hospital tank anyone know a correct ratio of epson salt for a 10 gallon tank ?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Here is some information I have found useful: Hospital Tanks

Good sign the fish is eating, we'll keep our fingers x

Thanks for posting and supplying images, illness posts are very important to the forum - we can all learn from these experiences.

Keep us updated.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:26 am

If your tap water is soft, are you adding a rift lake salt mix? The reason I ask is because if you add Epsom salt in soft water with low Calcium, then the high level of added Magnesium might interfere with his Calcium uptake. Dunno if that's a problem here; I'm just speculating. A Hardness test kit measures the total of both Mg + Ca, but it doesn't tell you if the ratio of Mg to Ca is out of whack. Your hardness could look OK via the test kit, but fish could be suffering from lack of Ca. Mg:Ca ratio in Lake Malawi is roughly 1:2 and in Lake Tanganyika it's around 3:1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishyswas
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:08 pm

eating really well almost at will... One more day/dose of Melafix and then into the "shark cage" to be re-aquainted with tank mates without the fear of bullying and sent into relapse from stress hopefully this process wont pose him as a foreign newcomer also a super small cichlid stone to give him a safe haven to be introduced to tank when hes allowed free reign ....

body still a lil disporportionate but lots of color has returned to the dark blemished area of his belly and hes been very very active out of the hide in his hospital tank so hopefully spry and spunky enough to fend for food on his own while we are on vacation ...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Hurray -- always love to hear recovery tales ... they are not common with bloated cichlids.
Good job!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lab with Bloat    Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:07 pm

@gerald wrote:
Hurray --
Good job!

+1 great job fishy

Ron
SupportTeam