Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Cichlidsickness Discus tank

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cichlidsickness
CVASMember

PostSubject: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:22 pm

180 Gallons- Manzanita driftwood, 3d background, all live plants, real rocks, all discus are from Discus Hans. They are still scared from the 100 Gallon water change but at the end you can see one go back to eating. They are all 3.5 - 4 inches so the coloring is just starting to show. Its hard to get the tank in a decent shot because my Reef tank sits right next to it and the lights on that are BRIGHT Cool
  I am open to any and all criticism and suggestions on decor as its always a work in progress.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Great looking tank and discus!! Just too cool, thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Great pic and vid. Very nice tank and fish. Looking forward to hearing about yur experience with Discus.

Cichlidsickness
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:26 pm

Discus are not as hard as you might think. Everybody seems to think you need a 6.5 PH and soft water plus 8 million water changes a month. That's all just a myth. My PH is 8.2 with 107ppm GH and 107 ppm KH. They have always done fine in that water. The main thing is just make sure it's consistent. I do change 60 gallons every other day but if only takes 15-20 minutes with my water change setup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:58 pm

Love the tank, what a show stopper. I think it would look very nice with some moss attached the dw in the tank. Either way
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:00 am

I told myself I wouldn't bombard you with questions, but since you mention water quality... I had recently read in amazona rag that the ph wasn't such an issue as I previously thought. Then what is the need for such frequent water changes?

The water changes and ph are my number one deterent from having a discus tank.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cichlidsickness
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:54 am

As far as PH goes it has to be stable. My well water comes out at 6.9 but after aging it for 24 hours with a powerhead it goes to 8.1 because I have CO2 saturation in my well.
This is a quote from my boy Discuspaul and sums up water changes and Discus.
"Large, frequent wcs (preferably daily) are essential for growing out young discus to good potential, and to avoid stressed fish, stunted growth, mis-shapen fish, and possible health issues. To do otherwise is asking for problems and disappointment.

However, if you're prepared to get adult, or near adult, healthy stock (4" to 5", or larger) - assuming your wallet permits, and from a well- known, experienced high quality supplier, then you can get by nicely with 2 WCs a week, perhaps even one, in a well-cared for planted tank, if you commit yourself to unfaltering good tank cleansing practices, w/substrate vacs, glass wipe-downs, no overfeeding, and very good filtration."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks for the info! It's a time issue, in the mean time I will enjoy yours and others tanks. Not worth risking the fishes quality of life to fit my time schedule.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 am

The water changes have more to do with dissolved solids (TDS) than with pH, so CLEAN water is key.

I just love the setup! The background is sweet. I really like manzanita - where did you get it? I'd like to get some myself. It is a peaceful and serene tank and I'm looking forward to seeing the discus grow. Do you have cardinals in with them?

The only comment I have is that they will likely feel more secure with floating plants that will filter some of the light, but you mention that they had just had a large PWC so that may be all it is, and it may be that it is just the reef tank lighting things up. We need pics of that, too!! Very Happy

Also, can you tell us about your lighting and filtration? It looks like you might be running a Fluval FX5 and an Emperor HOB - it is not common to find a large tank that isn't drilled. I prefer canisters on my large tanks but I had to silicone glass over the drilled holes to do it.

Sorry for all of the questions but I love tanks like this and want to know more! Laughing

View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 am

Absolutely beautiful tank! The textured background really completes the look. I'm curious like Liz-where did you get the driftwood?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cichlidsickness
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 pm

I ordered it from Manzanita-driftwood.com it's PH neutral and didnt add any tannis to the water what so ever. The shipping is a little high coming from California but he is the best Manzanita guy out there.

Yes just one FX5 with 2 sectiosn filled with seachem matrix and one filled with Chemi pure. The emp 400 is loaded with Matrix as well and I use the grey media baskets and wrap quilt batting around them to collect the solids. This tank has always been fine that way and all I change is one grande Chemi pure every six months for a total of $20. The Mattix never has to be replaced. So a 180 for $20 every six months for media is AWSOME!! I have had up to 100 community fish is this tank with that setup and always had no illness or water problems. Water changes are key to any aquarium not just discus. Like I said I have an sweet WC setup that ages my water and changes 60 gallons in about 20 mins and no carrying buckets lol.

I do have cardinals and 2 bristle nose in there and they all do just fine. As far as the lights go its a 6 foot quad T-5 with 20 moonlights. 2 actinic bulbs and 2 12k bulbs. They don't mind the light and even come to the top to receive hand outs of bloodworms.

I will add some pics of my reef tank as soon as I get home around 9 pm. Actually I have to give my wife most of the credit on that tank because that's her baby.

Just tested nitrates earlier and it was 2.8ppm, I love having an $8000 nitrate machine at work because it makes the long hours at the water plant worth it. Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cichlidsickness
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:28 pm

And yes I forgot to mention TDS that is a great point about the WC needed for discus. I add 10 gallons of RODI to 50 gallons of well water and it makes my TDS numbers perfect. Then age it for 24 hours and the PH settles at around 8.1 and stays right there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:00 pm

I'm a little skeptical of your 2.8ppm nitrate reading. If you'd like to borrow my API test kit to verify, just make sure you forget to shake the one set of drops vigorously beforehand, make sure to not wait 60 seconds before adding the second set of drops, and most importantly, make sure not to wait at least a few minutes before comparing the vague color of the liquid to a faded color chart in mediocre indoor lighting.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:02 pm

@Cichlidsickness wrote:
However, if you're prepared to get adult, or near adult, healthy stock (4" to 5", or larger) - assuming your wallet permits, and from a well- known, experienced high quality supplier

This seems to be a recurring suggestion amongst most experienced Discus keepers, purchase top quality fish from reputable breeder/sellers. Discus Hans is recognized as one of the best..

Beautiful tank....

Cichlidsickness
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:02 am

If my supervisor saw me using an API test kit he would fire me, even if it was for my own personal water lol. All jokes aside they are not that far off. My reef tank tested 40ppm on the API kit and at work it registered in at 32.4 ppm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:53 am

Wow- great tank! Thanks for posting up...nice to see another "Bumpussian" here! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:03 am

Quote :
BUMPUSSIAN

That's not how it's pronounced...... Very Happy

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:50 pm

HA!! Laughing

Oops...typo! "Bumpassian".....or sumpin' like dat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cichlidsickness Discus tank   

Back to top Go down

Cichlidsickness Discus tank

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-