Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

my 5 year old asked for a tank of his own.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ciscosdad
CVASMember

PostSubject: my 5 year old asked for a tank of his own.   Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:59 pm

The other day Collin My 5 year old asked me for a real tank of his own. He has had betas before but loves to watch my tanks. I wasn't sure if it was a flash in the pan kind of idea that 5 year olds are apt to have so I did nothing. After three days of asking I figured I better jump and get this kid a tank. I had an old 5 gallon plastic flat back hex in the shed that is now his. Rushed to get heater, filter and a light bulb because none of the original equipment for that tank was any good. Lord knows the last time that thing has seen water. I built a stand (more of a foot stool) for it which is beside his kid bed. He wanted to be able to roll over and watch his new fish. With such excitement I couldn't just take him to Petco. I want to start him off with lfs, we got to keep these guys in business. Thanks to Rama at Skoolz of fish he has 6 green neons, 4 cherry shrimp and 2 corys. I hope we will have a new member in training soon. I think I was 5 when I got my first tank and I don't remember a time when I haven't had one. I am not the best with the camera but I will try to get a few pictures up soon. Just had to share.

jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my 5 year old asked for a tank of his own.   Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Awes that's so cute! Fish enthusiast in training:)

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my 5 year old asked for a tank of his own.   Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:16 am

That's a great post and maybe something you can both enjoy together as he continues to grow.

I wish my kids were into fish but they aren't - my 15 year old told me a couple of weeks ago he wanted a tank..... his mother just sighed, hung her head in her hands and then smiled as she said oh no.....

He wanted to go to the PVAS auction with me on Sunday so he could see what goes on (he referenced storage wars) but then when I woke him at 6:00 he told me he changed his mind and wanted to sleep... Smile

Looking forward to the image of your proud little guy next to his tank.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: my 5 year old asked for a tank of his own.   Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:44 am

That's great Chris. I (even as old as I am) remember my first tank. It was a ten gallon with an in the tank corner filter and airpump. I think I was around 8 or 9. The lfs had started in an old home that was converted to a fish store. They had a fish of the moth club where you paid something like $5 for the year and you got a buy 1 get one featured fish every month. Sometimes they even featured plants. It was so exciting to go there every month to claim my reward so to speak. It served the aquarium well as it kind of prevented from putting too many fish in at one time. The lfs was very pleasant and knowledgeable as well as very patient and pleasant with kids.
That store later grew to become one of the largest pet stores in Ohio and Indianna. They had purchased an old WWII cargo plane which they flew to Fl and other areas to pick up fish from various fish farms, and later purchased their own fish farm in Fl to just stock their stores.
By the way, many of you may have purchased items from them on line. They own Petsolutions.com Their starter store was in Dayton Ohio called Jack's Aquarium. A fire broke out and they nearly lost everything. I think a huge Black Piranah which was in the basement was it's only survivor. They then purchased an old post office building and grew into some of the local malls as a full fledged pet shop. They later grew into Indianna and various points in Ohio.
Just about anyone in Mid Ohio and Indianna got their start with Jacks.
I really support Chris's decision to start his son in a LFS. That's where his best experience will get started, as well as hopefully keep a much needed resource for us alive.
Wishing him good luck and hope he continues to expand his interests in a great hobby.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: my 5 year old asked for a tank of his own.   Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:48 am

Chris, that's great news cheers and also great that you were able to set his tank up so quickly. Kids don't like to wait for the things they want! *lol* Nor do some adults. Wink
Rama was a good choice to get started - Azalea would have been fine, too, but for this instance Rama was the better idea. Sounds like you picked out a nice community. You CANNOT go wrong with the red shrimp - they are as interesting as many fish, and not afraid of movement in front of the tank. What corys did you get?

cichlidshane
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my 5 year old asked for a tank of his own.   Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:25 am

Very cool. Rama has some nice used tanks to when he upgrades to Discus Smile I hope to be picking up a deep water hap and some Salusoi from Rama very soon! He has some nice fish there. Now that I am off the crutches I can get in the store a lot easier.

Shane

PostSubject: Re: my 5 year old asked for a tank of his own.   

Back to top Go down

my 5 year old asked for a tank of his own.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-