Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Xystichromis phytophagus - already trying to breed?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Xystichromis phytophagus - already trying to breed?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 am

I have 6 Xystichromis phytophagus and a few males are already coloring up. They are just under an inch. Today I noticed the biggest male aggressively courting an apparent female. I have to repeat - these fish are pretty small and are in a 15 gallon grow out tank with a bunch of Julies.

Here are a few mediocre pictures (the tank is only a few inches off the ground, and is horribly lit).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Xystichromis phytophagus - already trying to breed?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:22 pm

And there you have it. Roughly 30 minutes of cheesy 70s music, a luxurious "cave" made of a few small rocks siliconed together, and we have a spawn. I can't get over how juvenile these fish are. Oh, and the photos were pretty ridiculous - me on my stomach, almost no light, and forced to use manual focus (cue old school photographer eye roll).

And this should give an idea of how small these are (that's a heater for scale):
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Xystichromis phytophagus - already trying to breed?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Are you planning on stripping or just seeing if the fry make it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Xystichromis phytophagus - already trying to breed?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:15 pm

Kids these days ... they just won't wait. Barely out of diapers and doin' the nasty ... how shameful. (Lovely little male!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Xystichromis phytophagus - already trying to breed?   Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Way to go Lane - Christmas Fulu's!

I agree with Gerald good looking little male.

Nice job with the belly photography too!

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Xystichromis phytophagus - already trying to breed?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:36 pm

Speaking of cheesy 70's music, Lane - what year were you born? *lol*

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xystichromis phytophagus - already trying to breed?   

Back to top Go down

Xystichromis phytophagus - already trying to breed?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Cichlids of the World :: Lake Victoria (Victoria Nyanza) Cichlids-