Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Banjo Cat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Banjo Cat   Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Could'nt stand Deb making such a good find. Went to Richmond Aquarium two weeks ago and found 3 which they had just got in. Here's some pics of one. Rare to see them as they love to bury in the sand during the day.

Cichlidsickness
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Banjo Cat   Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Wow!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Banjo Cat   Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15 pm

very nice
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Banjo Cat   Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:05 am

Nice! ThumbsUp I checked them out on Planet Catfish and most likely you have a different species than I do. Yours are most likely Bunocephalus coracoideus. (If you recall, mine were B. colombianus.) Very closely related at any rate. I think mine are only found in Colombia.

Now that you have these catfish, you will have to be careful about grooming your sand. Do it carefully, just a heads-up. Smoothing the surface will be okay, but if you need to go deeper use only your fingers and go slowly! Yesterday, while going after a particularly fast trumpet snail, I reached into the sand only to come up with one of my banjos! He laid there stock still, petrified. They do that. Not to worry! Just set them back down gently and they will immediately bury again. Great fish, even if you hardly see them. *lol*

If you can post a pic with a straight down (dorsal) view, that would be great. Very Happy

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Banjo Cat   Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Deb wrote:
Nice! ThumbsUp I checked them out on Planet Catfish and most likely you have a different species than I do. Yours are most likely Bunocephalus coracoideus. (If you recall, mine were B. colombianus.) Very closely related at any rate. I think mine are only found in Colombia.

Now that you have these catfish, you will have to be careful about grooming your sand. Do it carefully, just a heads-up. Smoothing the surface will be okay, but if you need to go deeper use only your fingers and go slowly! Yesterday, while going after a particularly fast trumpet snail, I reached into the sand only to come up with one of my banjos! He laid there stock still, petrified. They do that. Not to worry! Just set them back down gently and they will immediately bury again. Great fish, even if you hardly see them. *lol*

If you can post a pic with a straight down (dorsal) view, that would be great. Very Happy

Thanks for the info. They are really weird about letting you pick up. The girl that helped me at Richmond AQ was trying to net then just sifted carefully in the sand and scooped up in her palm. I am careful using vac as afraid to injur one. I'll try to get a photo of dorsal if I can. They are not easy to find let alone photgraph.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Banjo Cat   Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:08 pm

An old thread but IMO worth resurrecting as the Catfish Convention just ended and these are really cool little fish when you can see them. Usually about once every 2 or 3 months as they stay buried in the sand or under driftwood. Very rare to see in the day time.
BUNOCEPHALUS CORACOIDEUS naturally are found in the Peru Amazon Basin. They can tolerate water PH from 5.8 to 7.8 and Hardness between 2 and 20°dGH so they adapt well to our local water supplies. Temp. range can be 68-80.6°F and they make great Community dwellers and can be kept singly or in groups. They do prefer sand although if your décor has flat rocks raised about 1/2" for them to get under they will do quite well. In Nature they are found several inches below sand or under leaf litter found in streams. Mine have survived well in both Black Beauty Blasting sand as well as Pool Filter Sand.
Feeding quite simple as they find most prepared food that finds its way to the substrate, however bloodworm and sinking catfish pellets are best.

What looks like a little stick or debris ( in foreground) is usually the only way to spot these guys. Normally they are completely under the sand and you have to carefully sift for them.

I think I still have 2 of the original 3 I purchased (1 sadly succumbed to Bloat). Last I saw them was about a month ago

Last edited by Ron on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Banjo Cat   Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:27 pm

PAW had a few of these yesterday for sale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Banjo Cat   Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Great photos, Ron! ThumbsUp
This thread is now linked to our article, here:
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t1206-banjo-catfishes#14968

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Banjo Cat   Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:34 am

Cool thread. I once own several Banjo Catfish. I enjoyed keeping them even though they do hide a lot. Trying to find them in the tank was part of the fun... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Banjo Cat   

Back to top Go down

Banjo Cat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Catfish of the World :: South and Central American Catfish-