Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

new 75, help me decide!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: new 75, help me decide!   Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Ok, so after months of enviously reading about everyone else's new tanks and fish, I finally get to start my new 75 gallon (had to wait for our new floors to be installed)! It will be fully planted and have a group of denison barbs. Beyond that, I cannot make up my mind on the stocking. I had thought to go with an Asian theme-more barbs, rasboras and loaches (cherry barbs, brilliant rasboras are a thought). I also thought of just going with a color scheme-red, yellow, black or silver fish to complement the denisons (diamond tetras and gold barbs for example). I also cannot decide whether or not to move my glass catfish from the 40 into this new tank and increase their numbers-I'm hesitant because finding them amongst the plants and netting them out will be very stressful for them and me (I'm horrible at catching fish).

So, if you were planning a 75 with denison barbs, how would you finish the stocking? I'm hoping hearing your ideas will help me narrow down this huge list of fish I would like to try. I cannot believe I'm this indecisive after several months of thinking about this tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:05 am

My only suggestion is diversity, that is one of the great aspects of a community tank. I would combine as many different species as one could comfortably squeeze into a 75g. In saying that; I'm not versed well enough in community tanks to make an quality suggestion.

Looking forward to seeing the build!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:31 am

Denison barbs and plants sounds like a great start. Will you be using a dark substrate?

Liz says her Denisons tend to stick to the bottom third of the tank. If you find that to be true also, you may want to consider at least one known top-dweller to go with the Denisons.

Fish that have at least one bold color, such as red or yellow, or fish with bold markings, such as many silver and black fish, would be great choices for looks. IMO, pale shimmery fish such as diamond tetras would not look as well with Denisons.

Also - and this is only my preference - I suggest you not add any tetras. Barbs, and cyprinids in general, have clearly demarcated scales. This is obvious on even the smallest of them, such as checkered barbs. OTOH tetras do not have this same look and in my opinion the two don't go well together.

One last suggestion. Look into some of the danios. They will appreciate the swimming room that a four foot tank offers and there are some great choices. Danio tinwini is a fairly recent import (although it might be too small for your set-up.) Danio nigrofasciatus is making a comeback. They are a boldly a striped and cheetah-spotted danio which tops out at less than an inch and a half.

In general, if you make your other fish choices from the sub-families of Cyprinidae you will not go wrong!

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:04 am

I hadn't thought of danios-will check those out. I think I will go with non-tetras to give myself a new experience. Even with small danios, in large enough numbers, they should feel secure since the denisons are peaceful, right? It will have a dark substrate-I have ordered the black eco-complete (I splurged, too!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:10 pm

@RylandVT wrote:
It will have a dark substrate-I have ordered the black eco-complete (I splurged, too!)
*lol* !!!

Let us know how you like it.
As to Denison barbs, even peaceful fish will eat a smaller fish if they can catch it so that's why I'm leery. A full size denison can certainly eat a tiny tinwini.
But not to worry. There are lots of danios which are not tiny.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:46 pm

IMO you are setting up one of the best sized tanks - 75 Gallon.

If it where me....

A pair of Apistogramma Cac's (Orange Flash or Triple Reds) or Panduro or Aggazzi or Borelli or?

Maybe a School of Green Lazer Cories ( although I don't know if cories would do well over Eco?)

I think a school of Rainbows would be nice (Turquoise or Boesemani).

And if you could find them a school of Coral Red Pencilfish

I also think Rasbora provide a nice contrast being in the upper half of the tank.

You'd have a lively tank with a lot of color.

The first time I saw Dennison Barbs I was floored, they were in a community with what seemed like a 100 other species and they absolutely stood out.

This is fun and it's not even my tank... I'm sure now I'll need to start a 75 geez thanks Ryland Wink

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 am

Hmmmm....

I am a big fan of having some clean up crews, so I would have 4-5 Cories of yoru choosing. I am partial to Sterbai and Leopard Cories, but choose which ones you like.

The denisons Barb (aka Roseline Shark) have some a little red on them, so you could choose to compliment that red with some Cherry Barbs.

They also have some yellow spots, and i have really been enjoying my Golden Gourami that swims at the top of the tank.

Since Denisons have the torpedo body shape and the horizontal lines, you could provide contrast by getting some angels, (altum or zebra var.)

Never hurts to have a pleco in a 75.

You could also enjoy having a school of Pacific Blue Eye Rainbow Fish.

And I have personally loved my Farlowella Catfish.

Does anyone have experience with Pictus Cats? I think they would be awesome but I would be nervous about consuming of smaller fish.

Hope this helps!

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:51 pm

thanks for the ideas!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:43 pm

I forgot to mention the plants...

My favorite plant by far is Anubias 'Nana'. Slow growing, low light, very hearty and fish dont seem to nibble much.

#2 - Cryptocoryn Wendtii

#3 - Java Fern

I have had bad experiences with dwarf hair grass and micro sword.

Also, if you wanted some different top level swimmers other than Gouramis, the live bearers, Mollies and Platys have a lot of varieties. Also some golden wonder killifish are nice.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:49 pm

I had looked at golden wonder killies but got nervous with their big mouths. Do you think cherry barbs and brilliant rasboras would be safe? Anyone with experience with these guys? And on a side note, I got the tank and stand today-I am loving Richmond Aquarium, very helpful and friendly. I plan on setting up my new canister filter tomorrow-fluval 406.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
direwolf82
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:34 pm

My Killi is around 4 inches or so and he is little bit of a terror. He doesn't bother my little otto cat's even when they were small small but he tried to eat a stink bug that landed in the tank. The bug was wider than his mouth! He would attack it, carry it around then release it. Repeatedly, until I got the bug out of the tank. I don't trust him with anything less than an inch long at least. Even medium/large ghost shrimp are fair game for him.
You could always end up with a calm fish but if it end's up like mine I would be worried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Wed May 01, 2013 10:13 am

I think I have decided on denison barbs, redtailed rasboras, pearl gourami and botia kubotai (sp?) +/- cherry barbs and a small pleco. Does anything stand out as a big no in compatability? I'll be stocking soon as my fishless cycle is almost done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Wed May 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Where will you get the redtailed rasbora? Fin & Feather on Lakeside has some fish in that look just like the redtailed but they are calling it a "brilliant rasbora." I think what they are calling "brilliant" is in fact the redtailed rasbora. I almost got the few they had left but didn't want to take a chance of ending up with a "big" fish. Seriously Fish says the brilliant grow to about 3.6" and the redtailed grow to 2", so that's a big difference.

The redtailed rasbora are beautiful!

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Wed May 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Richmond Aquarium has a large group of what they call brilliant rasboras but comparing them with seriously fish and one of my books, they are actually redtailed rasboras. Looking at pictures of the true brilliant rasboras, I think the redtails should usurp that name since they truly are more brilliant!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Mon May 13, 2013 10:33 am

Where have you gotten with your set-up so far?
I set up a 75 in 2009 after about four years of planning (and negotiating!) My 55 sat empty for a year after purchase before I had a chance to really tackle it. Just wondering what stage YOU'RE at.

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Mon May 13, 2013 12:38 pm

I am currently fishless cycling and the tank is processing ammonia well-just waiting for nitrites to process completely. I did plant it yesterday and am trying out those bulbs from Petsmart also. After being in the tank for only 3 hours, the Crinum thaianum bulbs sprouted! I did go with led lighting (finnex) and my husband said he likes the look of that much better than the regular lights in the 40 gallon-he was actually getting excited about the look of the tank. I'll try to post pictures soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Wed May 22, 2013 5:11 pm

ok, here's a picture of the set-up so far.... No fish yet, but soon. I'm impressed that the Bacopa have doubled in height since I planted them about 2 weeks ago.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 am

It's looking good! ThumbsUp Is the branchy piece wood? What kind? Is it the same as what's in your crypt melt tank?

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Thu May 23, 2013 11:20 am

It's manzanita, same as in the 40 gallon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:44 pm

I heard through the grapevine that you've added denison's barbs and kubotai loaches.  If your kubotai are juveniles, this article from Loaches Online might interest you: 
http://www.loaches.com/articles/botia-kubotai-development-of-markings-during-growth

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks for the info-my guys are definitely young-more solid stripes and only 1 is starting to get a hint of spots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Nice tank! Dig the Manzanita- very cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krislewis3
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Have you considered a discus tank?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:27 pm

no discus for me! (at least not yet)-the water changes alone would drive me nuts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krislewis3
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:34 am

Awe, come on now....I need someone to chat with about discus!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   

Back to top Go down

new 75, help me decide!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-