Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

new 75, help me decide!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: new 75, help me decide!   Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok, so after months of enviously reading about everyone else's new tanks and fish, I finally get to start my new 75 gallon (had to wait for our new floors to be installed)! It will be fully planted and have a group of denison barbs. Beyond that, I cannot make up my mind on the stocking. I had thought to go with an Asian theme-more barbs, rasboras and loaches (cherry barbs, brilliant rasboras are a thought). I also thought of just going with a color scheme-red, yellow, black or silver fish to complement the denisons (diamond tetras and gold barbs for example). I also cannot decide whether or not to move my glass catfish from the 40 into this new tank and increase their numbers-I'm hesitant because finding them amongst the plants and netting them out will be very stressful for them and me (I'm horrible at catching fish).

So, if you were planning a 75 with denison barbs, how would you finish the stocking? I'm hoping hearing your ideas will help me narrow down this huge list of fish I would like to try. I cannot believe I'm this indecisive after several months of thinking about this tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:57 pm

Yeah, we were saying at the cookout that someone needs to jump in and try discus. I did get the 75 for my denison barbs though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:03 pm

RylandVT wrote:
Yeah, we were saying at the cookout that someone needs to jump in and try discus.  I did get the 75 for my denison barbs though.
I'm still leaning toward them. Just can't get myself to pay $45 plus for a fish and kill it.... Been reading all the posts from Krislewis3 and seems like a lot of work but after seeing her tank it appears to be worth it.
I've been doing a lot of research and getting the itch to try.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:12 pm

Go for the Discus.

I have read that the fish are not as difficult as they are made out to be.

Most of the fish you will purchase are aquarium strain and much more tolerable of aquarium conditions than they used to be...

Definitely, you need to spend the extra to purchase top quality fish and being that it is your first time might be a good idea to look for adult versus juvenile sized fish.

Probably a good idea to really understand your water conditions/parameters.

Kris can certainly supply some input and there was a member a few months ago that had some BEAUTIFUL Discus tanks (can't remember the name) - he/she was from Bumpass, maybe you can track down the member and pm them as well.

But Ron, you are an experienced keeper you can successfully keep these fish.

krislewis3
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:59 am

Ron wrote:
RylandVT wrote:
Yeah, we were saying at the cookout that someone needs to jump in and try discus.  I did get the 75 for my denison barbs though.
I'm still leaning toward them. Just can't get myself to pay $45 plus for a fish and kill it.... Been reading all the posts from Krislewis3 and seems like a lot of work but after seeing her tank it appears to be worth it.
I've been doing a lot of research and getting the itch to try.
If you do decide to try discus...there is a forum called "simply discus" that is a gold mine of information. They will hold your hand through any problems you have, and will guide you step by step, day by day, through the process of raising these beautiful fish!! And remember, that although price is high,they live 10 years
I jumped in cold, but was able to raise 5 discu
s from two and a half inches, to adulthood(with the help of S.D. ) and all are still doing well 2 years later.
Some folks like to learn on lessor quality discus, but since they are long lived, you may want to start with quality fish. (Discus Hans) is a good place to get quality fish, that he will stand behind.
Good luck...hope you give it a go.........Kris
Also.....Ron, remember, only 2 of the discus in my tank are QUALITY discus, the other 3 are run of the mill, from a local fish store! I regret that I didn't start with all quality fish!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new 75, help me decide!   

Back to top Go down

new 75, help me decide!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-