Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Starting a new 65 Gallon :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Silver
CVASMember

PostSubject: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

So I'm working on my new 65 gallon aquarium. I just resealed and had it painted to match my other furniture. I'm waiting for the sealant to dry before I do anything else.

Right now I'm planning on flourite with a layer of gravel on top. I have a fluval 406 canister filter that was given to me. I'm somewhat worried the current might be too strong even on the low setting..the killifish like a very slow current. So we'll have to see how that works out when I get it set up, may have to buy a different one or trade down?

I have a bunch of plants growing in my other tanks so I'll have a good start on plants. I have LED lights in them so I'm shocked that my plants are doing as well as they are. Some grow so quick I'm trimming them about every week because they grow so tall they reach the top and come out of the water!

Right now I have 2 different species of killifish I plan on having in the tank but other than that I'm not sure what to get. I know I need something for snails and algea.

I have a horrible snail infestation in my tiny 8 gallon that I use to grow new plants and keep a couple shrimp. They're ALL over and idk how I'll get rid of them. I'm wondering if it might be possible to remove the shrimp and put them in a temp tank and add a smaller loach (maybe a small, not yet fully grown, skunk/zebra) to the tank for maybe a week or two just to eleminate the snail problem? Then move them to the 65 of course? And it's not because of overfeeding becasue I never really feed the shrimp, it's a very well established tank so they just feed off whats already in there and growing. Anyone have any thoughts on that idea? I hate having a snail infestation! If only killifish ate snails like they eat everything else. If it fits in they're mouth its gone...except for snails!

Anyway, here's a pic of the tank. Any ideas are welcome. I'm not sure what to put in it as far as decorative yet. I like the natural look so probably something woody...

EDIT:

Here's some pics of the Killifish Smile They're still babies and growing and gaining color everyday. They'll be bright and gorgeous in no time

Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 am

The only thing I would change is the ammonia remover. You need ammonia in the tank to get a cycle going, and once mature, if the tank and filter are maintained you should never have any ammonia to worry about.

Initially, however, the ammonia remover will work against you in establishing the biofilter.

View user profile
Silver
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Fri May 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Good call, I didn't even think of that but it makes sense. I've never had an ammonia problem in any of my tanks before so I guess it is sort of useless.

Filled and everything is up and running Smile So far so good. No fish yet but we'll see about maybe introducing something in the next couple weeks. I have plenty of plants in it already, all I had to do was prune my other tanks, they grow like weeds!

Right now I'm working on a DIY screen top for the tank. It would be simple if I didn't have the light and filter in/output to work around, so that makes it 10x harder It'll be a puzzle..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Fri May 10, 2013 3:42 pm

No need to wait -- with plenty of fast-growing plants you can add fish immediately with no ammonia spike.

Silver wrote:
No fish yet but we'll see about maybe introducing something in the next couple weeks. I have plenty of plants in it already, all I had to do was prune my other tanks, they grow like weeds!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Sat May 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Those are some nice looking Killies. That's a species i've never kept but one that interests me...

Looking forward to seeing more images of your planted 65...

Silver
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Sat May 11, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks! I went ahead and added 4 Adolfoi Corys, they're just the cutest things! I saw them and just couldn't resist! I got some pictures but they're SO shy. Seems like if I even look at the tank they run and hide...but other than that they're doing wonderful!

They like huddling together under the indian almond leaves, it's so cute!

I'm not going to add the killi's until I can get the mesh top finished, I had to order the netting online since none of the stores around here had it..should be here monday. I went into lowes and I'm sure the guy thought I was crazy doing all this for some fish haha. I cut the screen frame pieces to fit. I have it going all the way around but gaps where the filter in/outtake are and the light, but I should be able to make the netting taunt enough that there's no gaps, the metals flush so there might be a gap in the metal pieces but if I continue the netting it should work out...we'll see. Sounds complicated when I try and explain it but I'm gonna make it work one way or another. Last think I need are my precious killi's dead on the floor...

Some of the females are laying eggs in the tank on the plants now, I'll see a few occasionally but I just leave them. At least I know when I'm ready to breed them there shouldn't be a problem lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Sun May 12, 2013 10:24 pm

I use corrugated plastic sign material to cover gaps - easy to cut and it doenst warp like acrylic does. Lots of it FREE after elections, or you can buy blank sheets it at HD or Lowes in the same rack with the acrylic and glass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Mon May 13, 2013 7:52 pm

Adolfoi - they are very cool!

There are a lot of folks on the site keepin Cories, but I don't recall anyone keepin that species.

I noticed your Alder Cones, are you using those for a specific purpose? I've read they can be beneficial.... But regardless I like the look iof the alders in an aquarium...

Love the use of Indian Almond Leaves too!

Silver
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Mon May 13, 2013 10:31 pm

Thanks! I always used the alder cones in breeding tanks and egg containers, one woman I use to talk to back when I first started always swore by them. Supposedly they help with fungus on eggs and lower the ph, I never had a problem with fungus. Idk how beneficial they are in this large of a tank, I can imagine they're more decorative at the moment lol

I've also always used the indian almond leaves with my killies and since I don't have driftwood in there yet it gives everyone something nice to hide under, while also lowering the ph. My ph started out awefully high at about 8.5 and it's just now come down. I'm very particular with my set up so I'll wait till I find just the right piece of driftwood...

These killies seem to be doing well at 6.5-7, They were breeding at 6.0 but I prefer not to let it get lower than that and for the sake of everyone else in the 65 gallon I'm going to try and maintain the ph around 6.5-7 even though both the cories and and the killies will do fine in a ph of 5.5-7 idk what else I might add that might prefer a more neutral ph so better to keep my options more open. Most fish don't do well in a ph of 5.5 and I can't say I blame them...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Wed May 15, 2013 9:33 am

Do you collect the alder cones yourself?

Silver
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Wed May 15, 2013 11:25 am

No, I don't know of any place around where I could find them to collect myself. I live in an apartment..if I could I'd plant some. I always keep my eye out though, there has to be some around here somewhere. I got mine from a health store in NC when I was visiting family.

I have pictures! The killies have awesome color now.

And here's some pics of how I Killie proofed the top so they can't jump out Smile It probably took me a good 6 hours total to cut all the pieces and get them to fit just right, and then to figure out the netting...it was craziness. I had to leave it loose in some places and make it tighter in others so it's a little wavy but it fits and covers all the gaps which is perfect. Only downfall is that you have to take the whole thing off to feed or mess with anything in the tank, but I think it's worth the extra couple seconds.

Idk I think it's pretty awesome how it turned out Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Fri May 17, 2013 10:56 am

It is VERY awesome! I don't see any way for them to get out, lol - very thorough job. ThumbsUp

View user profile
Silver
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Fri May 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks! They're my babies, I don't want them flopping on the floor. I got three clown loaches and one has a spot! They're only about 1.5" right now and so far doing great! They get along wonderfully with the killifish, they pretty much ignore each other. Sometimes the killies will swim up and down the side of the tank with the clowns, the clows will swim up and down and swim circles around each other, kinda like dancing Smile It's adorable.

I got 2 more of tne of the adolfoi cories (6 total now), and I've noticed one of them doesn't follow along with everyone else. When they aren't scavenging around the gravel they all huddle around the roots/base of the amazon sword, and when the rest go out there's always this one little guy that stays behind. I only see him swimming with the rest maybe once a day, if that. The others are very active and this one isn't. They're also all very shy and run as soon as they see me move from ACROSS the room, except for this one. I can get all the way over to the tank and right up to the glass and get a good look at him and he won't move...I know he's alive and he doesn't appear to be sickly. He does eventually move but he's not as scared as the rest but not nearly as active either....can fish be depressed? Idk what could be bothering the little guy...maybe I'm just looking into it too much lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Fri May 17, 2013 4:12 pm

How long have the new cories been there? I have found that many times catfish and loaches in particular take a week or more to settle into the routine of things. I had my B. striata for nearly a month before they'd come out of hiding at feeding time. I've had some new additions to that group for a week as of today, and the new ones are just now hanging out with the existing ones.

That said, I'd definitely keep an eye on the loner because there could be something wrong with it that isn't visible to you. I wouldn't take it out or anything, but just keep an eye, like I know you already are doing! I have had groups of fish for years and years and I STILL find myself counting them every time I look at the tank. Smile

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Sun May 19, 2013 11:58 am

I wondered about the alder cones because I read that they are pretty widespread over the world.

The killifish have awesome color and your top looks like it will do the job. Do you think you would have time to post the build step-by-step with photos in the DIY section? It would be a great addition to the site.

So, on to the corys ...
One little cory that doesn't follow along with the others and doesn't seem to have his own thing going, either, is a red flag. If he were active and just going his own way, that would be fine. New corys do not immediately join in with the others, even if they are the same species. Like Liz says, it can take a while for them all to get together. However, in your case, it seems as if this particular one cory doesn't feel good. That can mean a few things. I would take particular care with the water quality for a while and keep it on the fresh side. Be sparing with food while at the same time making sure that the corys are getting some.

Also, do not discount the influence of the clown loaches. Even at a small size they may be too boisterous for the corys. Usually loaches and corys aren't a great mix.

Also, don't count on the adolfoi getting used to you, especially if they are wild caught. Some of my corys still flee after four years of me. A lot of that depends on how you are reflected in the glass. At certain times of the day, the light is in your favor and they won't be able to see you. If you want to really see them in a relaxed way, get a seat in front of the tank and wait. Don't move around much and eventually they will come out and act naturally. You have a lot of nice decor in that tank and your pH is right so I'm sure they will do fine.

Silver
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Sun May 19, 2013 10:13 pm

The cories have been in there more than a week now. I was out of town Fri-this morning. I fed them Friday morning and didn't have anyone feed while I was gone, I don't like to feed every day..I have been feeding everyday recently because of the one corie and I wanted to make sure everyone was able to find the food and that there wasn't any aggression between anyone. I feed frozen bloodworms and they all fall to the bottom and some of the killifish females tend to hang out at the top, one especially. So I got one of those feeding cones to put some worms in for her when it's feeding time.

No ones been aggressive during feeding time so far, the clowns and cories eat together and will sometimes swim together across the tank. I haven't done a head count of the cories yet but I haven't seen any dead fish either so that's a good sign...I thought about flushing them out cause I wanna know where they are, but I don't want to stress them out and I know they should start becoming active soon so I'm gonna wait and see if all 6 are schooling together. If there's only 5 then it's easier to pinpoint the sickly acting one (the only one not swimming). I'm not sure if they are wild caught or not, I'll have to ask the store.

I've been testing the water daily for the past week and nothing seems abnormal. I checked it again this morning and everything was still fine.

Deb, I'll see if I can put together some DIY info. I know it would be helpful to a lot of people cause I googled it before I decided to do it and could only find directions on how to build one square piece that either didn't leave room for anything or left like inches in the back open. I couldn't fine anything on how to build somethingaround the filter intake and lighting and stuff! Or at least nothing that was completely sealed like I wanted. The only thing I might improve on is maybe cutting it so it is bendable on the front half and I can open part of it without having to remove the whole piece. It's sort of a hassle when you have to take it off and have tubing. I ran my air tubing through the holes because it's a perfect fit, just one side though, but still I have to unhook it and run it through to take off the top.

Anyway! On another note, I haven't had anything in my 8 gallon tank for about a month now and was up in Ashburn over the weekend and found this woman who was selling CRS for $2 a piece! I got 13 for $20 and they're all great! She has hundreds of them, they're breeding like rabbits in her tanks! She also gave me a bunch of java moss too. Here are some pics

I used eco complete in this tank and have noticed that it clogs the pump up pretty frequently...it's all partical like but too fine for the net to get. I tried scooping it out of the filter compartment where the pump is but it just dissolves in the water. I might try putting some extra filter sponge in the back so that it (hopefully) gets caught in that before it goes to the pump. It's just what gets stirred up when I move plants around that gets sucked back that causes the problem...

EDIT: All the cories are fine and swimming together.

EXCEPT, I came home today to find one of the male killifish on the floor all dried up. It's beyond me how he could have possibly gotten out. I was in a hurry when I fed this morning so I figure he MAY have jumped out when I fed and I didn't see him Sad Cause I KNOW there's no way he got out otherwise...I'm sorta sad now. I'm gonna put the now trio in a breeder box tonight for a couple days to see if I can get some eggs out of them. He was so gorgeous....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Thu May 23, 2013 9:24 am

Silver wrote:
EDIT: All the cories are fine and swimming together.

EXCEPT, I came home today to find one of the male killifish on the floor all dried up. It's beyond me how he could have possibly gotten out. I was in a hurry when I fed this morning so I figure he MAY have jumped out when I fed and I didn't see him Sad Cause I KNOW there's no way he got out otherwise...I'm sorta sad now. I'm gonna put the now trio in a breeder box tonight for a couple days to see if I can get some eggs out of them. He was so gorgeous....

Shocked I almost missed your edit and I think others are missing it, too.
That is a real shame about your male killie. Very sad. Could he possibly have fit through the mesh?
Good news about all your corys, though! Very Happy And the shrimps will be perfect in the eight gallon.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 am

This is just amazing that ANY fish could get out of your tank. It seemed that you have done everything possible to prevent it so it goes to show you how determined these fish can be.

Why do killies do this? I have always heard that they are escape artists but I have never learned why.

View user profile
Silver
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Thu May 23, 2013 1:03 pm

He couldn't fit through the mesh..not unless he shaved off a little fat and scales on the way out lol I don't understand why they would intentionally jump OUT of the water...sometimes at night I'll hear them trying to jump out splashing in the water..worries me every time but nothing I can do really. I'm still going to go with the fact that the top is 99.9% sealed and that it was my mistake when I left the tank unattended for a couple minutes while feeding and then rushed out the door. Sad

Good news is I have about 75 eggs and counting. They produced that many in 1 day and so I'm going to leave them in a while longer and see what I get. The male is younger than the females and I'm not sure he's fertilizing all of them...this will be they're first time so I may or may not get many fertile ones but I'm still excited.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Thu May 23, 2013 4:53 pm

It's mainly an escape response to predators. They jump out, stick to a nearby leaf, log or rock, and drop or flip back into the water after a minute or two. It works great in nature, where downhill = water; not so well in an aquarium. And for some of the puddle-dwelling African and S. Amer species, they can travel overland to find a new puddle if their current one dries up, gets too crowded, or runs out of food. I have a S.Amer Rivulus in a gallon jar who sometimes sticks to the jar lid when I open it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silver
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Fri May 24, 2013 9:10 pm

That makes sense. But still you'd think they'd be happy about getting fed, not stressed enough to want to flee...My female Innidere is SO FAT! She comes right up to the surface and tries to eat all the blood worms before they fall to the bottom, and then she'll go to the bottom and gorge on the food there, looks like she could pop any second. I know she's full of eggs too so that doesn't help. They're going in the breeding tank next but I worry she'll eat herself to death, it can't be healthy.

I did a water change today cause I noticed the Ph drop to 6.0 and I'm determined it's going to stay 6.5-6.8. My tap water has a Ph of 7.5.

Still getting more eggs. These guys must incubate very quickly cause I'm already seeing black dots on the fertile eggs. So far I haven't pulled and infertile ones and no fungus growth so that's a plus! I stocked up on some frozen baby brine. I use to do the whole brine hatching thing but it's so messy and they don't live very long and I've notived most fish will eat the frozen baby brine anyway. It's less work with the same results. And if they're anything like they're parents they'll eat whatever fits in they're mouth lol

On another note I've always wanted a black ghost knifefish but forgot about them until I saw some small ones the other day. I wonder if it'd be too aggressive for the other fish though. The killifish haven't been nippy towards anyone so far and everyones in perfect health. But I heard that the knifefish can either be really peaceful or aggressive towards smaller fish and kill/eat them. I suppose it's hit or miss but I don't know if I should try or not, plus I know they can get pretty large...although I do know someone with a larger tank that could take him in down the road. But still...what do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Wed May 29, 2013 4:01 pm

I wondered about the mesh because in the photo the holes look about ¼" square. Now I realize the mesh must be a lot smaller than that. Very Happy

How are your eggs doing? Any results to share?

Here is a great video of a black ghost knife fish. It will make you want one even more ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gimQjPkvsNI

Silver
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    Thu May 30, 2013 12:24 am

Most of the eggs turned white, they were infertile...there are some left that haven't clouded over so the remaining eggs are doing well so far. I sort of figured this would happen though..next time should be better.

I'm sitting here watching my male killifish try to 'guard' a clump of food. The other fish will swim right over and he'll flare up at them and turn and stare them down but I haven't seen him once attack anyone. As soon as they see through his sharade he turns and runs, or they'll swim right by him and he gets put off and swims away a bit. But he always comes back. Funny thing is he isn't really eating it. He'll take a mouthfull, spit some out, eat a little, take another mouthfull, spit it out, take another mouthfull, spit it out, repeat lol

Still debating on the knifefish. I really want one but idk..
(I'll prob end up getting one)

I'm also trying to decide what pleco to get...
L240 (12")
L97 (10")
L264 (8-10")
L102 (7)

L240 is Gorgeous, but larger...L97 seems like the same as L240 only not quite as stunning at first glance. L264 is nice and unique looking. L102 is like a smaller version of L240 only not as nice. I just love the contrast of black and white (My bathroom is zebra themed haha).

EDIT: I finally decided on the BGK and went ahead and got one. I tried to get the smallest one they had, he's only about 3-3.5" long, not much bigger than anything else in the tank. I'm hoping since he's so small and some of the other fish are even bigger than him that he won't develop any/much agression so long as he's well fed. So far so good. I'm trying to figure out what to name him but I don't have any ideas...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting a new 65 Gallon :)    

Back to top Go down

Starting a new 65 Gallon :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-