Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

River Tanks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
direwolf82
CVASMember

PostSubject: River Tanks   Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:54 pm

As I have been morphing my 55 gal from community to river tank I did not want to add powerheads on one end and big sponge filters at the other. I just am not a fan of the look nor the extra cost of two powerheads. Seeing as I am a plumber I decided to use some PEX water piping to make a river tank manifold. With the intake on the far end as delivered from the maker, I built a three port bar the runs across the bottom of the tank pointing down the length of the tank. Happily the hose from my canister filter at 5/8 id fits right onto the pex fittings and a few clamps gets that done. I cut some granite from a countertop, cleaned the polish off and smoothed the edges and made a cave around the exhaust nozzles. To supply the air I put 2 airstones in front of the nozzles, to my chagrin they just did not produce the effect I was after. Then I scrapped the airstone and just drilled 2 holes in the actual piping before the exhaust nozzles and crammed the airline into it, better but not quite there. Added 1 airstone in front of the nozzles and wham, that got it. The flow is terrific and now virtually all my loaches stay hanging out right in the heaviest flow, and it is super funny to watch the peacock eel's tail whipping out from under the cave as he play's in it too!!
Best of all with the intake and exhaust at substrate level the top water is still enough for my angels to be happy and doing there thing still, I was worried I would have to part way's with them and since they have grown at least three times there original size that thought made me a little sad.
So moral of the story is you don't have to set up a river tank from the get-go, as I was warned they had to be to really do it right.
A little planning and creative thinking and you can turn any filter and tank into a uni-directional river tank.
This week I will be modifying my HOB filter to sit on the end wall and produce an "under a waterfall" effect, albeit small waterfall, with the intake at the opposite end of the tank.
If there is any interest I will attempt to put up pic's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
james0816
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: River Tanks   Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 am

pics...must have pics. Smile

I've always used powerheads on the manifold. Would be interested to seeing an alternate setup.

May even use it when I upgrade my 30 to a 40B this summer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
direwolf82
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: River Tanks   Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:19 am

I also like not having the powerheads as big heaters in the tank either, to dependant on the powerhead to decide what temp the tank can get to.
Since I am a digital-tard I am going to my buddies place for help on putting up the videos from different stages of build for you today and if I can get the hob modified will put up some "waterfall" pic's, as long as it act's like I think it will. (finger's crossed)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: River Tanks   

Back to top Go down

River Tanks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-