Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Liz's tanks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Liz's tanks   Sun May 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Here are new videos of two of my tanks. The 150 has a pair of angels guarding eggs, which makes for a lively environment. I love how they dive-bomb the other fish, coming in at an angle, looking very fierce, but no damage is done. Fun! The pair has their eggs on an Anubias leaf on the upper left side of the tank. Also, there is a pair of Geophagus preparing a nest on the bottom far left under a rock, next to the PVC drain pipe. This is next to the filter intake area, so there is a fine coating of SAND all over the plants and rocks, being distributed by the filter and strewn out of the outflows. This definitely needs to be remedied.

The 125 has some new Botia striata (thanks, Rama!) and they are still mostly in hiding, but you can see the others that I have, more comfortable coming out when I'm around. The Denison's barbs are growing and the pearl gouramis are happy too. I have added plants and moved things around just a bit, and some of the plants have filled out some as well since my last video.

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Liz's tanks   Tue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Everything is looking good! ThumbsUp
I'm looking forward to the Geophagus completing their arrangements and getting down to business. It will be nice to be able to see into that side of the tank easily to follow their progress.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Liz's tanks   Thu May 23, 2013 9:49 am

Yes, I do wonder how things will work out in the little "love nest" being prepared. It is quite adorable, though! It is not at all like the angels, which lay their eggs in the most open and accessible place in the tank, and they constantly have to fend off curious fish.

Mainly I'm glad that I'm able to have this many angels in one tank. This could change as they reach full maturity, and likely will, in fact, but for now it is nice to have a "school" of angels.

I think the geophagus will maintain this same group without needing to remove anyone. Even when spawning they are relatively easy going, as cichlids go.

View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Liz's tanks   Thu May 23, 2013 1:44 pm

I could watch your tanks for hours. Very nice and wonderful activety.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Liz's tanks   Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:58 am

So I dropped some rocks into the area where the geos are "nesting," and they are undaunted. I realize now that the sand can't possibly be passing through the filters and getting deposited all over the tank, since there is all kinds of floss and padding that would trap it. I guess all geophagus tanks may have this problem, and perhaps I have too soft of a sand, so it is getting dug up and spit around, and it is getting lifted into the water column and landing all over everything - it looks like a light dusting of snow, from the top of the tank to the bottom! Maybe pool filter sand next time.

Also, I tested both of these big tanks and was shocked at how high the nitrate levels were - pushing 40! This is with 50% PWCs weekly. I know exactly what the problem is, though - OVERFEEDING. I have approximately 50 fish in the 150 gallon and that can raise the nitrate all by itself, but I do think I overfeed. There are different types of "feeders," in that the super eager angels and geos snatch everything up the instant it hits the water, and I worry about the tetras not getting any. My husband told me once that I didn't feed the 120 enough, from his standpoint as an observer, so I increased the food a bit for that tank.

I did an additional 50% PWC yesterday on both tanks, 3 days after the last one, and got the nitrate down to about 10. I'm being more careful about food now, too, and we'll see how it goes.

View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Liz's tanks   Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:23 pm

You know me, I am grooving to the music Smile

Amazing as always.

Hey, could you post a pic of you golf fish tank with the blown glass ball, I want to show my wife that.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Liz's tanks   Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Here you go!

Here's a closeup of the blown glass ball. It was intended to be hung in a window or something, but I knew it would want to float so I thought I'd try it suspended in an aquarium.

And, just so I don't leave anyone out, here's my buddy, Otis:

View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Liz's tanks   Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:31 am

always enjoy your tanks. Thanks for sharing. Glad you finally shared old Otis. He's pretty cool dude.

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Liz's tanks   Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:45 pm

I still absolutely love your goldfish tank-you have very unique but wonderful ideas for aquascaping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Liz's tanks   

Back to top Go down

Liz's tanks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-