Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

L183 Starlight Pleco

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: L183 Starlight Pleco   Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:09 pm

Looking at a possible purchase of this fish for a 30L (36" Length).

I'm on well water with a PH of 7.6.

Ideal conditions seem to favor a much softer ph and black water for this species.

The ones I'm looking at are aquarium strain not wild caught's, so the above may not be a huge factor?

Profiles suggest they stay small at 4" or less.

If you've kept, or have knowledge, of this species please share your experiences.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: L183 Starlight Pleco   Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:50 am

Great looking little Pleco. Are they sold locally? I would suspect that they would do very well in your water especially since bred and not wild caught. I would suspect that the lower PH that is shown on Planet Catfish would come more to play in breeding. It seems that the lower PH that most fish seem to require from SA seem to do quite well in our waters.
IMO when the rainy seasons and runoffs that occur in SA certainly cause higher PH levels that don't seem to harm the fish.

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: L183 Starlight Pleco   Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:27 am

From what I have seen, normal water conditions should be fine for maintenance. Especially if they are Tank Raised. The opinion seems to differ on whether lowering hardness is necessary to trigger breeding.

The L183 is more omnivorous than most Bristle Nose plecos, so they should have some extra protein in their diet. They should be fine with a stable food or a vegetarian diet with high protein supplements.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: L183 Starlight Pleco   

Back to top Go down

L183 Starlight Pleco

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Catfish of the World :: South and Central American Catfish-