Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Reborn!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
African Madness
CVASMember

PostSubject: Reborn!!!   Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Hello everyone!

It's been a very long time since I  last had an aquarium. I used to have a planted aquarium until everything died (crossing my fingers this time!)

A month ago I bought a used 75 Gallon tank because I was thinking of building a salt water tank until I discovered the gorgeous African Cichlids.

I checked out all the aquarium books from my local library (in case you can't find them Very Happy) but I need a lot of help as well!

I was wondering  which section of the forum should I go to to talk about stocking fish for tanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reborn!!!   Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi Trucha, Huge Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Society - glad you found us!

African cichlids are amazn'  I have an all male Peacock and Hap set up and I thoroughly enjoy the tank.

We have an area for Lake Malawi so that's probably the best spot.

A 75 Gallon is a great size tank, not to big not too small -it will adequately house a wide variety of species.

Tell us more about your plans, what type of Africans are you thinking about?

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Reborn!!!   Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Welcome Trucha! Very happy you found us. I too have an all male Peacock tank and a separate Mbuna tank. Probably safe to say majority of members have or had Africans. Let us know what we can do to help. We have a great road trip planned for this Saturday to Virginia Beach to tour Animal Jungle and then go for lunch. Time permitting we may make a couple extra LFS stops on the way back. Let us know if interested and we can meet up. Currently going In 2 cars so there is still room if your interested.

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Reborn!!!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:35 am

General Freshwater is a great place to start your discussion.

Also, check out the local stores page, John at KG Tropicals has a lot of knowledge and is a great resource for cichlids. And his store carried a lot of cichlids.

Remember, typically cichlids will dig up and chew on plants, so planted tank not recommended for african cichlids.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
African Madness
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reborn!!!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:39 am

Sorry for the time! I'm still learning how to use this forum.

Hi thegundog, Ron and ddavis1979!

Thank you for the invitation. I've never been in that place, looks great! unfortunately I have something to take care this weekend. But definitely I would like to meet the group.

I love Peacock too! are Hap same as Mbuna?

Definitely I will contact KG Tropicals. I saw his youtube videos the other day! It looks like is a great place to buy Cichlids.

I will post my plans for my Mbuna stoking so you guys can help me!Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Reborn!!!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:51 pm

Sorry you can't make it. Haps are not same as Mbunas. They are African but like Peacocks and Mbunas can be form Lake Malawi. However, there are also Haps found in Victoria. There are many species and some are compatible with Peacocks but some are not. Same with Mbunas which usually are not recommended to co-mingle. Some have good luck and some.....
Haps is short for Haplochromines by the way. Here's a pretty good web site to go to learn a lot about Cichlids if you have not already gone there. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Reborn!!!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Welcome to the site, Trucha! Very Happy You will find a lot of members here who can help you with advice on stocking a tank of Africans.  I look forward to hearing more about your set-up as you get underway.

African Madness
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reborn!!!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Thank you for the site Ron. I been there before they have a ton of info to read!

Hello Deb!
I have a new post asking for stocking help!
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t1174-i-need-help-on-my-first-malawi-setup#10493
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reborn!!!   

Back to top Go down

Reborn!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-