Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

My 90 update

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: My 90 update   Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Had to replace my old Buddha. I tried painting him and used a clear coat sealer, but it dulled quickly and I was afraid may become toxic. Found another one at Garden Ridge and although not made for aquariums and I was afraid of possible toxins I used a clear Acrylic gloss spray this time. I wanted to use a 2 part epoxy resin but it required pouring on. Since the statue is quite large with too many detailed features and round surfaces I did not think it would coat well. I read on quite a few sites that folks were having good luck with clear Acrylic and allowing to dry for a week or until you could no longer smell the acrylic. Sure hope they are right...

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My 90 update   Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:27 pm

So, how long did it take before you could no longer smell the acrylic?

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: My 90 update   Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:00 pm

Took about 8 or 9 days. With all the humidity it took a little extra, plus I put it on very thick. I would think in normal weather maybe a couple days shorter, but I was afraid of rushing it. It's been in the tank for about 5 days now with no ill effects and appears to be holding up well. I must have sealed quite well as I saw no air bubbles coming out of the figurine. This is molded ceramic Buddha but without a glaze. I was afraid of the inside being raw and perhaps deteriorating from the inside out. I cut a hole in the bottom with a Dremmel tool about 1/2" diameter then filled with gravel to keep the statue from trying to float. I took a thin piece of a refrigerator magnet and used clear silicone to patch the hole as well as a fairly flat rock to make a base and silicone to the bottom and try to make an appearance of him sitting on the rock. Forgot to take into account it almost made to tall to place glass lids back on aquarium. So I had to bury the rock in the gravel a bit and I lost a little of the effect I was hoping. He's slightly taller than the original and not quite as stocky. However, he's got a slight metallic look which really added more "pop" to the tank. The pictures don't really do him justice. I'm trying to get used to new camera, and has way to many settings that I have no idea what they do yet.
he fish seem to like him as they really congregate there. I'm sure jus a nice rock to them but who knows what religion they practice????

koolaid68
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: My 90 update   Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:52 pm

look nice Ron... I love the pics. the tank is great....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEd9pbj9MGY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: My 90 update   Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks koolaid, great to have you back. It's been quite awhile.

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: My 90 update   Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Oh wow Ron. Are the plants silk?

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: My 90 update   Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Actually plastic. Wish they were live but these guys are rough on plants. Liz actually helped landscape, rather I helped her she's the artist. I pretty much stayed out of the way and handed her items when she needed them. She did a nice job weighting and wedging the plants in to keep the fish from digging up

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: My 90 update   Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Either way, love the look. My setups are more like swamps. LOL Throw it in and watch it grow.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 90 update   

Back to top Go down

My 90 update

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-