Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Native Fish Meeting in Western NC, June 2014

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Native Fish Meeting in Western NC, June 2014   Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:44 pm

The North American Native Fishes Assoc (NANFA) just announced their 2014 meeting will be in western NC, June 5-8, at the NC Forest Service Training Facility south of Boone. They'll have three days of field trips (seining, snorkeling, fish photography) in rivers of the NC mountains and western Piedmont, with native fish/herp/bug/plant enthusiasts from all over the US and CA. For more info, including a river basin map and species list of fish from this region, see the NANFA forum:

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13658-2014-annual-convention-june-5-8-2014-western-north-carolina/

If you're not registered on the NANFA forum and can't download the attachments, PM me your email and I can send them to you. Mark your calendars now!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Native Fish Meeting in Western NC, June 2014   Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:15 am

Anybody from CVAS going to the NANFA convention? Hope to see you there! If anybody wants to come just for a day-trip, cost is $15 per day (contact fritz . rohde at gmail). I'll be getting there late afternoon on Thurs. Fri & Sat we'll be seining and snorkeling various sites in the New, Toe, Cane, French Broad, Catawba, and Yadkin river basins. On Sun some of us departing east or north may check out some Dan River sites north of Winston-Salem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Native Fish Meeting in Western NC, June 2014   Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:19 pm

We had a fantastic time and caught around 50 species of fish: darters, shiners, chubs, sculpin, dace, trout, sunfish, lamprey, and others. Several people snorkeled and got nice videos of chubs building nests and shiners and dace spawning on chub nests. A few people got to see hellbenders in the Toe/Nolichucky Rivers (I'm jealous). VA people I met there included Derek & Sarah from Blacksburg, Mark & Vickie from Charlottesville, Guy & Meredith from Roanoke, and i think a couple others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Native Fish Meeting in Western NC, June 2014   Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Isaac Szabo just posted some absolutely amazing photos (National Geographic quality or better!) of native fish and scenery that he took at the NANFA convention in western NC last month. Nest-building Chubs, Shiners, Darters, Sunfish, Hellbender, waterfalls, mountain scenery ...

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/14777-north-carolina-convention-photos/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Native Fish Meeting in Western NC, June 2014   Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Yes, those are fantastic photos! I feel as if I'm right there with the fish, underwater.

The chub mound discussion was intriguing - what are these mounds?

Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Native Fish Meeting in Western NC, June 2014   Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:26 pm

AMAZING!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Native Fish Meeting in Western NC, June 2014   Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:40 am

Nice!!! pics are worth 1000 words that expression seems to be true :O
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Native Fish Meeting in Western NC, June 2014   Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:24 am

Nocomis chubs (bluehead, river, bull, bigmouth, and hornyhead chubs) males pick up stones in their mouth and make piles on which to spawn. Nests are usually at the shallow tail end of a pool with moderate flow, just before it spills over into the next riffle or pool. The acceleration of water velocity as the pool gets shallower provides the force to keep water moving through the mound, between the pebbles, to aerate the eggs. They spawn on the upstream face of the mound, and the flow pushes the eggs into the crevices. This nest-building strategy lets chubs live and spawn in streams that would be too silty otherwise. Many shiners and dace and some types of darters use chub mounds to spawn on. Without chubs, most of these other species could not live here. The male chub will chase away other male chubs, but tolerates other species of fish using his nest. Watching chubs build nests and huge swarms of other minnows spawning on chub nests is one of the main attractions of springtime river snorkeling.

Deb wrote:
Yes, those are fantastic photos!
The chub mound discussion was intriguing - what are these mounds?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Native Fish Meeting in Western NC, June 2014   

Back to top Go down

Native Fish Meeting in Western NC, June 2014

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: What's Going On?-