Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Marisa cornuarietis, or the Giant Ramshorn Snail

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Marisa cornuarietis, or the Giant Ramshorn Snail   Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:54 pm

I picked up a couple of these beauties at Animal Jungle in VA Beach recently, since they really appealed to me and I could see that they had laid large clutches of eggs in the tank, and I'm always looking to propagate more snails for Otis my F8 puffer.

pic: Susan Mast, Petfish.net

They look exactly like regular ramshorn snails that we all are familiar with (Planorbidae sp), but they are much larger and typically have bold stripes, whereas common ramshorns are generally solid brown or red, or even greyish blue.

What is important to recognize, however, is that these Giant Ramshorn Snails, as they are known in the hobby, are actually relatives of the apple snail, and they EAT PLANTS and may even eat other SNAILS!

This is not something I realized, so upon learning this I removed them from my snail tank, lol, and one has its own digs while the other is in with the goldfish for now, where I have no aquatic plants to worry about.

They did leave a sizable gelatinous blob in the snail tank, however, and I'm interested to see if that hatches out. If so, I will promptly feed them to Otis, and may consider a second snail tank for this species alone, if they reproduce prolifically.

So, though I'm not sorry I got them, because I love inverts of all kinds, I did need to modify the plan for them and we'll see how they do.

Last edited by Liz on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Marisa cornuarietis, or the Giant Ramshorn Snail   Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:55 am

Interesting!  And a great pic, too. Very Happy  I wonder if they would be satisfied with a piece of Romaine lettuce or some other veggie?  Then they might leave the plants alone.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Marisa cornuarietis, or the Giant Ramshorn Snail   Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:11 am

I've put celery in there but they're not paying it a bit of attention - we'll try zucchini next!

(I failed to add the picture credit, which I will do - I can't take credit for it!)

View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Marisa cornuarietis, or the Giant Ramshorn Snail   Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:58 pm

My dwarf puffers would appreciate any extras. Little gluttons. :twisted: 

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marisa cornuarietis, or the Giant Ramshorn Snail   

Back to top Go down

Marisa cornuarietis, or the Giant Ramshorn Snail

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Invertebrates-