Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:47 am

Neritina Snails, or nerites.
Aquatic grazing snails of the genus Neritina.

Family: Neritidae
Scientific name: Neritina turrita
Maximum size: shells up to 2.7 cm long, or just over 1"
Range: Southeast Asia, Taiwan, the Solomons, the Fiji Islands, Samoa, and French Polynesia
Common names: Zebra nerite, olive nerite, orange track snail, tractor tire snail.

The family of aquatic snails known collectively as nerites is a large family, of which Neritina is just one genus, or grouping.  The typical nerite snail seen often in the hobby is Neritina turrita. It has a thick, smooth shell with different forms of pattern and color.

The black and olive-green striped variety is known as the zebra or olive nerite.

Neritina turrita

Neritina snails with a bright, dark orange shell and "tire track" markings all around are called orange track, orange tire track, tractor tire nerites, and other similar names.

Neritina turrita

The underside of Neritina turrita is made up of the thick columellar surface, or supporting column of the shell, and the operculum, or trapdoor.  The columellar surface is a creamy orange-yellow, and the operculum is orange-pink.  There are other physical features of interest but these are the main ones.

Neritina turrita are popular snails in the hobby for very good reasons - they are attractive, do not grow too large, and will stay busy all day long grazing over many surfaces in the aquarium.  They may lay eggs, but the likelihood of the tiny hatchlings actually growing to maturity in freshwater is very low.
See: http://cvas.forumotion.com/t1114-zebra-nerites-lay-eggs
Therefore, the risk of Neritina turrita becoming a nuisance is extremely low and not a consideration.  

These snails should only be added to a tank that already has, or is likely to grow, grazing films on many surfaces.  I have never seen them eating plants; they seem to prefer grazing over surfaces.  Supplemental feeding with a calcium-rich veggie food about twice a week is a good idea.  

photos by Deb  

study This is an article in progress. If you have Neritina turrita snails in your aquarium, or have had them in the past, please post about your experiences here.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:17 pm

If I already have Clown Pleco's, Cory's, Amano Shrimp, and Bamboo Shrimp would I be able to have Neritinas? I would think the aforementioned would keep most of the grazing films quite low.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:30 am

It depends on the tank, IMO.  If the rocks and the wood feel like they have a film then you are probably fine to add one or two of these snails, just for the fun of keeping them.  I would call the corys and the Amanos foragers and the bamboo shrimp an opportunistic feeder. I don't really see them as grazers.  The only real surface grazer is the clown pleco and I don't imagine they do much of that if you are feeding well.  There is probably more film than you think and the large bioload (for their size) of the corys and shrimps mentioned would help maintain it, especially if you are feeding well.  
Which tank were you thinking of?

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:11 am

Thinking of my 56. I never seem to see these snails. I know you got some at F&F one time but I have not seen since.

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:29 pm

Richmond Aquarium has had them every time I've been there. The 4 I've gotten are doing well. The 2 in the 75 gallon are laying eggs which the fish enjoy eating. I do enjoy watching them. The loaches leave them alone and just go after the pond snails.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:01 am

I've been thinking about Nerites for several months, the shell patterns and colors are wonderful.

They don't reproduce like rabbits, they don't eat plants, they don't harm other aquatic life..

What are the drawbacks with these snails?

Deb - marvelous pictures and I love he information contained within your initial post.

Thank you!

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:31 am

They really are great snails. I use them in setup where I am not sure than BN plecos will do well. The only downside if you will get eggs(that won't produce babies) occassionally. I always end up ordering a few whenever I order from Dave's Rare fish.

thegundog wrote:
I've been thinking about Nerites for several months, the shell patterns and colors are wonderful.

They don't reproduce like rabbits, they don't eat plants, they don't harm other aquatic life..

What are the drawbacks with these snails?

Deb - marvelous pictures and I love he information contained within your initial post.

Thank you!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:32 pm

verbal wrote:
They really are great snails ... The only downside if you will get eggs(that won't produce babies) occassionally.

The first time I saw the eggs it was fun to see something new, but ddavis pointed out that the eggs might be considered unsightly, which is true in a way.  

There are many tiny white EMPTY snail shells on the substrate, now.  So could these be Neritina which hatched, but could not develop and further in freshwater?

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:24 pm

After reading the latest issue of Amazonas, I believe Nerite Snails need saltwater for reproduction. Can't remember the process offhand.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Never  thought I would do this but your posting motivated me...Azalea had some zebra Nerites and I just bought 2 yesterday.

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Ron wrote:
Never  thought I would do this but your posting motivated me...Azalea had some zebra Nerites and I just bought 2 yesterday.

Let us know how they do. I killed mine.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Is there a certain quarantine process for Nerite snails?

My local PETCO just received some and I'd like to pick a few up.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:20 pm

I would guess about the same as new fish quarantine about 2 weeks. I took a chnce with mine and placed in my Community tank and had luck, but as soon as I get my hospital tank back I don't think I will risk again and begine quarantining new additions again.
I've had good luck with the first 2 Nerites. Bought 2 more for another tank and they both have completely dissappeared. No shell frags or signs of climbing out of tank as they can do.
I just bought 2 more which so far are doing well. Pretty cool snails.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Had a look at applesnails.com and the more prolific posters indicate it is not necessary to quarantine snails as they do not harbor parasites like fish.

However, drip acclamation is recommended.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:22 am

Great info. Thanks

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:01 pm

The nerite snails are interesting and beautiful, IMO.  However, the egg-laying has got to me.  All of those white dots over the main wood at the front of the tank - easily seen - and now on the rockwork at the back is, if not exactly ruining, then interfering with the look that I want for the 55.  

So I've removed the two orange tire track ones and will leave the olive striped ones in for now.  But not to worry!  The olive ones lived in the drum-side fish bowl before they were moved to a tank, so the tire track ones can do that too.  Later on today, I'll set up the fish bowl with some nice substrate and a few stem plants and move them in.  The bowl is 2.5 gallons.  

Applesnails is a great forum - it helped me a lot when I had my blue apple snails.  
Donald, the Amazonas article on nerites was one of the best.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Deb do you know if the egg laying was more prolific with the striped or tire tracks?

I picked up two today, one striped and one tire track Very Happy 

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:41 am

I have 2 striped together in 1 tank and their egg laying is certainly prolific. My solitary tire track hasn't produced any eggs but maybe the gender is wrong or it needs a buddy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Well, as said in the first post, the olive and the tire track are the same species in different color forms so I don't know what would prevent them from reproducing.  If male and female are needed, that would be one factor.  

I have seen the two olive snails on top of each other and I've seen the two tire tracks on top of each other.  This may mean they recognize each other by pattern or it may mean nothing.  I don't know enough about how they reproduce to say, and I don't want to speculate.  The Amazonas article didn't really go into reproduction in detail.  

To answer you, Tracey, I can't say which "pair" produced more eggs.  Possibly they can store sperm and lay eggs even if they are separated.  It will be interesting to see what happens with your unmatched pair. Very Happy

I wish I didn't mind so much about how the eggs look, but I do!

kat12
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:12 am

so is my genus species list for nerites wrong? Going to have to look into them further.

Here is my list:
Zebra Nerite Snail (Nerita natalensis)

Horned Nerite Snail (Clithon corona)

Olive Nerite Snail (Neritina reclivata)

Tracked Nerite Snail - (Neritina natalensis sp)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:26 am

There is definitely another horned Clithon species called corona.  I have Clithon diadema.  Both specific names mean "crown."  You may very well have Clithon corona.  

It is literally impossible to distinguish the two on external physical characteristics alone.  

No doubt, corona snails are sold without the seller knowing if they are diadema or corona.  That's a risk we have in this hobby; not too many sellers understanding the scientific aspect.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:20 pm

I have always shied away from snails because of the pesky ones that sometimes come attached when adding new plants. I am definitely not a fan of snail eggs. It's the thing about the unwanted snails I dislike the most. The pictures of the nerites in this thread are amazing. The snails themselves are gorgeous and very tempting... Smile 

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kat12
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:24 pm

Nerites are probably the best at laying eggs everywhere and being hard to remove. The mystery snails, though larger, lay their eggs above the water level so not on your tank decor and are easy to remove and control population.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Here is the story of an adventurous Nerite.  Nerite Saved!

Preview:

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Here is the same olive nerite almost two years later.  Notice the interruptions in the pattern of the shell, and where new shell has grown to accommodate the growing snail.  The small, very round pink opening is the snail's mouth; the "lips" are in the center.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   

Back to top Go down

Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Invertebrates-