Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Neritina Snails, or nerites.
Aquatic grazing snails of the genus Neritina.

Family: Neritidae
Scientific name: Neritina turrita
Maximum size: shells up to 2.7 cm long, or just over 1"
Range: Southeast Asia, Taiwan, the Solomons, the Fiji Islands, Samoa, and French Polynesia
Common names: Zebra nerite, olive nerite, orange track snail, tractor tire snail.

The family of aquatic snails known collectively as nerites is a large family, of which Neritina is just one genus, or grouping.  The typical nerite snail seen often in the hobby is Neritina turrita. It has a thick, smooth shell with different forms of pattern and color.

The black and olive-green striped variety is known as the zebra or olive nerite.

Neritina turrita

Neritina snails with a bright, dark orange shell and "tire track" markings all around are called orange track, orange tire track, tractor tire nerites, and other similar names.

Neritina turrita

The underside of Neritina turrita is made up of the thick columellar surface, or supporting column of the shell, and the operculum, or trapdoor.  The columellar surface is a creamy orange-yellow, and the operculum is orange-pink.  There are other physical features of interest but these are the main ones.

Neritina turrita are popular snails in the hobby for very good reasons - they are attractive, do not grow too large, and will stay busy all day long grazing over many surfaces in the aquarium.  They may lay eggs, but the likelihood of the tiny hatchlings actually growing to maturity in freshwater is very low.
See: http://cvas.forumotion.com/t1114-zebra-nerites-lay-eggs
Therefore, the risk of Neritina turrita becoming a nuisance is extremely low and not a consideration.  

These snails should only be added to a tank that already has, or is likely to grow, grazing films on many surfaces.  I have never seen them eating plants; they seem to prefer grazing over surfaces.  Supplemental feeding with a calcium-rich veggie food about twice a week is a good idea.  

photos by Deb  

study This is an article in progress. If you have Neritina turrita snails in your aquarium, or have had them in the past, please post about your experiences here.

AuthorMessage
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Ahh, a snail with a history... Cool
It looks like it's pattern turned a sharp angel. Did it occur when it was moved??? study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:56 am

*oops!* Sorry!  What I meant to say is the snail in the photo above is the same snail as the one in the first photo of this article, not the snail in "Nerite Saved!"  Sorry for the confusion.  

The snail in the photo above has grown to be at least twice as big as it was when I got it, just about two years ago.  The changes in the shell show just how it's grown.  It will be interesting to see just how big it can get!  

This particular snail did move from tank to tank, and did try to escape from its first tank, but has been in its current tank for a long time.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:27 pm

Wow how time flies!! 

I remember this thread and have enjoyed re-reading the content - I still have a huge interest in snails.

Are there places that sell high quality stock? I've purchased a number of Nerites over the years from the local box stores (because of the convienence) but have had little luck with them surviving more than a month or two.

I believe they need brackish water to successfully breed - anyone tried or had any success?

Really neat Deb to see the change in your snail over the years.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:11 am

Tracey, your interest in snails continues to interest me!  Remember the tire track snail I gave you?  It was at either the September 2013 or the November 2013 meeting at Green Top.  That snail was from Lakeside Fin & Feather.  If that snail is still doing well, then F&F is your goto snail shop.  For more proof, on the same day I bought the tire tracks, I also got one Clithon nerite snail, and it is doing fantastically, having grown to twice its original size.  

Unfortunately, I can't find in my notes where my two olive nerites came from.  One HAD to be from Lakeside, and the other I'm guessing Azalea.  I've never bought this kind of snial from a PetCo or PetSmart; I've never seen any there.

In the last two months, my two olives have started up a new cycle of egg-laying.  I'm used to it now and the egg cases don't bother me at all.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:26 am

Yes Deb, I remember you giving me the tire track - that was the first Nerite I ever owned but he/she unfortunately perished and I'm not sure why?. I really enjoyed that little snail...

I'm considering an order from Bob's Tropicals, he has a large variety of snails. Bob's also has a really great list of cories and other fish. PLUS he's a strong supporter of clubs.... If I do, I will post on the forum to see if anyone else would like to partake.

Deb, anything special you do for your nerites??

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:38 pm

Deb. I picked one of these little guys up today at PAW for a birthday present to myself. They also had some Huge mystery snails. Like silver dollar size. the nerite i got was about the size of a dime or nickel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:59 am

Sorry to hear it perished, Tracey!  The other one went to Ron, and I believe I saw it during his tank takedown process, back in April; its shell looked bad, though, chipped and white places showing through, and it hadn't grown much.  Not looking its best but alive!  (I can say that about myself, sometimes. *lol*)   

thegundog wrote:
... Deb, anything special you do for your nerites??
I do not.  They are able to eat as much as they want to in the 55 which is a planted, SE Asian-style tank with lots of surfaces and films to graze, not to mention stray food bits.  This time of year I get a thin film of algae on the glass, which they like.  A while back I bought some mini-veggie sticks with extra calcium from Ken's and feed a few of those when I think of it.  The fish can eat them, too, though, so it's not always clear if the snails are getting the lion's share. *lol*    

Bob's Tropicals is new to me - I'll look them up.  If you post an opportunity for us here, I'll try to join in. Very Happy  

cholt wrote:
Deb. I picked one of these little guys up today at PAW for a birthday present to myself. They also had some Huge mystery snails. Like silver dollar size. the nerite i got was about the size of a dime or nickel.
Great!  What tank will you put it in?  What does it look like?  Sounds like a good addition to either tank. Very Happy

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:30 am

I put it in the 40g. I will try to get a picture tonight and post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:29 pm

Here is a picture of my Nerite snail in my 40g.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.   

Back to top Go down

Nerite Snails, Neritina turrita.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Invertebrates-