Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

expensive Aragonite or pool filter sand

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fishyswas
CVASMember

PostSubject: expensive Aragonite or pool filter sand    Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Starting a 40 gallon breeding only tank to house 5 or 6 females and introducing male as needed( yellow labs). I want to try to maintain the most ideal breeding conditions . I have read varying opinions of how to best achieve this and using an Aragonite based substrate  is where  I am leaning . More opinions are appreciated ...

20 gallon community , 1 fruit tetra , a cory cat and a blue lobster (crawfish)

46  gallon BF  Mbuna 4 electric yellow  Labs, Pictus Catfish,leopard pleco

40 gallon breeder ...Empty atm( dry)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: expensive Aragonite or pool filter sand    Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:46 am

I'm sure they would think they would do very well with the Aragonite. I just have plain old gravel and they breed like Guppies.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: expensive Aragonite or pool filter sand    Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:26 am

If your water source is soft (low GH) with low alkalinity (KH), you WILL need to add Ca, Mg, and alkalinity (carbonate and/or bicarbonate) for Lake Malawi cichlids, but you can do it just as well with "rift lake salt" additives or "crushed coral" aragonite gravel placed in a filter. You dont have to cover the tank bottom with it. Ron didn't mention his water param's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: expensive Aragonite or pool filter sand    

Back to top Go down

expensive Aragonite or pool filter sand

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-