Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

New fish for my 55.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: New fish for my 55.   Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Rainbow gobies!

Stiphodon sp. ST02

I love when they hold their head up and perch on their pectoral fins.  

Stiphodon sp. ST02  

And some Pygmy Gouramis!

Trichopsis pumila  

Also called "sparkling gouramis" or "sparklers," they have lovely delicate coloring.  

Trichopsis pumila

Sorry for the grainy picture. oh well

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New fish for my 55.   Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:47 pm

What do you know about your rainbow gobies? Are they a true freshwater goby? Very attractive.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New fish for my 55.   Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Rama keeps this fish in stock so he has had a while of experience with it.  IHE, they do not get larger than about four inches, do not seem to enjoy each other's company, and are primarily substrate dwellers.  They do very well in his tanks.  

So from that I assumed I could keep them in my water conditions, did not have to get a large group, and didn't have to worry about them outgrowing the tank (or being a threat to the other fish.)  
great

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New fish for my 55.   Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:07 pm

I have a pair of bumblebee gobies that were sold to me as a freshwater species. I did some research and found out that the only freshwater bumblebee is Brachygobius xanthozona. I'm a little concerned that they are not a freshwater fish but a brackish one instead. Their yellow bands are not very yellow and do not appear to have grown at all in a month. They swim all over my 10g eager to eat but do so sparingly. Live black worms, brine shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp and bloodworms are nibbled at. Rolling Eyes

Here is an article from Tropical Fish Hobbyist on freshwater/brackish gobies that might be of interest.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New fish for my 55.   Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:02 am

That was a good article, thanks. Very Happy  Joshua Wiegert, btw, is the new owner of Mark Denaro's old business.  

As far as I can figure out, the fish I have are freshwater gobies in the genus Stiphodon, but I admit there is some question as to what species they are exactly.  Rama has kept them in freshwater since he began importing them.  Mine seem fine and are eating off the substrate, but if they expire in a couple of months I'll have to rethink the whole premise.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New fish for my 55.   Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:20 pm

Adults will probably do fine in fresh, but like nerites, you wont get any fry survival if they are an "amphidromous" species (fry hatch in fresh, then quickly drift downstream into brackish or marine to develop), which many gobies are, including some of the bumblebees.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New fish for my 55.   

Back to top Go down

New fish for my 55.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-