Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Julii Cory acting strange

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Julii Cory acting strange   Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi all- Been a while since I've posted; life has been very busy (and I have a new nano reef also...Smile ).  

Anyway, In my 46BF, which has really matured and balanced out nicely (pics soon), one of the 5 Julii Corys is acting strange.  He seems to be struggling in mid to upper tank, swimming hard, with his tail end sinking, and going nose up.  All the other Corys are doing their usual thing on the bottom, acting "normal".  Usually, he's not near the glass, but more mid tank.

I'll post a pic tomorrow, but I'm wondering is this swim bladder disease?  Or is he just being different for a while?  I know Corys are playful and a bit crazy, but he doesn't seem to be, well..."well".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

DL

Here's a pic of the tank (you can see the cory on the right) and a lousy picture of him "nose up"- best I could get.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Julii Cory acting strange   Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:59 am

Hi, DL.  Sorry to hear about this new issue with your cory.

If there is no blood speckling near the gills or along the flanks or on the abdomen, then I think you might be able to turn this situation around.  

When a cory goes nose-up and tail-down (for more than a couple of minutes) it is usually due to disorientation caused by some kind of poisoning.  Who knows what?  Most likely cause - digging in the substrate and encountering something not quite right.  Your sand is gorgeous but, taking the frame and what I can see into account, it's a bit deep so maybe there was some old food or something that the cory got into, maybe a tiny pocket of gas.  You can't protect them from everything.  

Whatever it was, he has now either an intestinal problem from gas caused by something he ingested or a disorientation problem caused by something that he inhaled.  Both would cause the effect that you see.  

The only other thing I can think of that might have caused him to swim like this is that he was startled and swam into the glass.  It knocked him out and now he is staggering, trying to get his equilibrium back.  Perhaps this will resolve on its own.  

You can treat all three possibilities at once:  
1. change 25% of the water and stir it around to dissipate any possible lingering substrate gasses;
2. substitute a food which is known to clean out the intestinal tract for one of the foods you use now;  
3. feed a bit less in general; 
4. wait and see.  

Hope to hear of an improvement.  
Keep us posted!
Very Happy

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Julii Cory acting strange   Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:24 am

Ugh, sorry to hear about the "lil whiskers". Deb as usual has given some good advice. Hope turns out for the better.
On another note, your tank looks awesome. 1st time I saw a pic of the Universal Rocks background. Looks great!

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Julii Cory acting strange   Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks, Deb- I did a WC yesterday, and am going to do another today to get NO3 down near zero, to eliminate that possibility. I'll also cut back on the feeding. I also still think have some frozen peas in the freezer...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Julii Cory acting strange   Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Hey DL any improvement on your Julii. Hope the little one made it ok

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Julii Cory acting strange   Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:00 am

Still the same behavior, but not quite as bad, or so it would appear. We're hoping for the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Julii Cory acting strange   Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:40 am

Bad news- lost the Cory. Everyone else in the tank seems to be fine, however. Bummer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Julii Cory acting strange   Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:09 am

Sorry to hear that you lost the Lil Guy. Happy the others are fine though.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Julii Cory acting strange   Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:37 am

Sorry to hear this, DL. Sad 
When you first posted and indicated the behavior had been going on for some time, I didn't think there was a lot of hope, but I didn't see much point in being defeatist.  It was much better, I still think, for you to try some simple remedies which would not stress the tank or the cycle.  

I'm glad to hear the other fish are acting fine!

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Julii Cory acting strange   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:02 am

No worries, Deb- thanks very much for your insight- always something to learn. I have recently been thinking that I'm still overfeeding my tanks- these guys don't need to eat much. Too much extra food in the tank rotting...I'm religious about water changes, and cleaning substrate, so who knows- all my tanks I typically keep NO3 under 10-15. Rarely will it get to 20.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Julii Cory acting strange   

Back to top Go down

Julii Cory acting strange

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Catfish of the World :: South and Central American Catfish-