Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Setting up for Hara jerdoni.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Setting up for Hara jerdoni.   Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here's my latest project. I have a ten gallon tank which has been running for seven years. When Ben was here taking all the fish out of it a few weeks ago, I told him the tank was coming down.

So for a few days it just sat there all forlorn with only the black sand and some floating brown dust. Obviously I don't have enough to do *lol* because I got the idea to take out some of the Cryptocoryne from the 20 high and plant it in the 10 gallon. The 10 G was starting to look good again. I decided to set it up as a species tank for Hara jerdoni.

Hara jerdoni is a species of tiny Indian catfish which goes by the common name of mini moth or stone catfish.
This pic shows one in my 29 gallon tank.

Hara jerdoni
That pic is a few months old because the 29 G is now history and all the Hara are in the 75, where I can't see them!
That's what decided me to set up a new tank for them.

So far there's about 2.5 inches of Tahitian Moon Black Sand, three large Cryptocoryne wendtii (green) plants, two small pieces of wood planted with sprigs of Java fern, and a big piece of wood at the back shaped like a T-rex.
I don't know why it's important to mention the shape - it just is. *lol*

I have taken new pix of this set-up and will get them on-line soon. Very Happy

AuthorMessage
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Setting up for Hara jerdoni.   Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:04 pm

Wow Deb, they look awesome. How long did it take for them to grow that lush and thick? Most Cryptocoryne are slow growers.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Setting up for Hara jerdoni.   Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:03 am

The first crypts were planted at the beginning of March 2012.  So it's been about fourteen months.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Setting up for Hara jerdoni.   Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Deb, all the plants in your tanks look so good. It's obvious that you are maintaining outstanding water quality in your tanks. How do you accomplish this. Is there a link in this forum or else where that you discuss or explain how you are able accomplish such great water quality. Please outline typical water parameters for your tanks and source water.
Thanks in advance... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Setting up for Hara jerdoni.   Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Well, thank you for your kind comments. Very Happy 

My water quality seems to be good for the plants I'm growing, but I don't do anything special.  
It probably would be more helpful to tell you what I DON'T do:

1. I don't use liquid fertilizers.  It's not just my opinion but that of others that a planted tank that is well-stocked with fish does not need them.  Some aquarium plants actually do better without them.    

2. I don't use tablet ferts, either, not even for Amazon swordplants.  I used to, but I've stopped.  

3. I don't run electric lights.  My tanks are lit by the ambient room light from windows and skylights and, yes, I site them in the windows.  It is absolute fiction that a window situation must result in out of control algae.  If the tank is planted and stocked correctly, there will be no extra nutrition for algae.
On the one tank that DOES have a lamp, it's only 17 W and on for four hours in the morning and four hours in the evening, with a three hour siesta in between.  Photosynthesis is hard work for plants and they need a break.  

4. I don't focus on plant growth.  Slow growth is my preference and that keeps the look and the level of maintenance where I want it to be.  So, fairly low lighting and no extra ferts works for me.  I have grown tiny Amazon swords into large growing-out-of-the-tank specimens using these methods.  Even plants that require, or would prefer, more light grow fine in my conditions.  
However, my plant list is a short list of those I know I can be successful with.  

My goal is algae-free leaves, even at the expense of fast growth, and this is what I aim for with my "methods."

My water out of the tap is about 4 KH and 5 GH most of the year, but I've seen both numbers lower.  The pH is about 7.6-7.8.

In recent years, I don't do much water testing but occasionally I check the pH on the tanks and it is just about always 7.2 - even in the tanks with lots of wood and leaf litter.

Hope this helps!  
And I apologize for the pedantic repetition of "I don't" above!  Awful! ROFL!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Setting up for Hara jerdoni.   

Back to top Go down

Setting up for Hara jerdoni.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Catfish of the World :: African and Asian Catfish-