Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Hello........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
krislewis3
CVASMember

PostSubject: Hello........   Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:14 am

Hi all, I am brand new to this forum. I've been raising and keeping discus for about 2 years....and in that time, made many mistakes that I've learned a lot from. I'm hoping to share my knowledge with you guys, and learn from you as we'll.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hello........   Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:34 am

Welcome Krislewis3! Hope you enjoy the Forum. Looking forward to hearing about your fish, tank(s), and experience. Pics are always welcome and encouraged so make sure to include. I, and many other Forum members love Discus but have never tried them but have wanted to, so your knowledge will certainly be welcome and educational.
I have an empty 75 that I am considering either Angels or Discus in. I have not decided yet so happy you found us and can offer insight.
We also hold meetings every other Month on the 3rd Sunday. The next one is in November so plan on attending if you can we would love to meet you. More details will follow as we get closer to Nov. Also we are planning a Road Trip to PAWS in Lynchburg in October so watch for details.

DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello........   Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:29 am

Welcome Krislewis3,
Always good to have another Discus person to talk with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Hello........   Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:01 pm

Welcome, krislewis3!
What Ron says is true - we love discus and think they are gorgeous but have heard that they can be a bit too tricky, even the tank bred strains.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this, as well as those of DLW.  
Let the discus conversation begin!  

Btw, you might want to look at these threads from cichlidsickness of Bumpass:
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t1062-cichlidsickness-discus-tank
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t1158-discus-starting-to-color-up-nicely
Another enthusiastic hobbyist!

krislewis3
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello........   Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Discus aren't difficult to raise if you know how, and are willing to make the effort. If you buy them small, they require daily water changes until they are full grown, and then 3 times a week. They require LOTS AND LOTS of clean water. It's also important to purchase them from a reliable source. When your ready to leap in, I would be most happy to help you!!
Kris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello........   Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi Kris,

WELCOME to the Central Virginia Aquarium Society!

I'd say Discus are, or have been, on everybody's list.

Although I have never kept Discus, I think your most recent post to this thread is a great overview - clean water, good stock...

We have a few folks keeping discus and a few more that I know of who have recently uttered the words "Discus are in my near future", so we'd all be grateful for your sharing of your experiences.

Hope to see some images of your tank and I look forward to reading your posts.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello........   

Back to top Go down

Hello........

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-