Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Reasons to raise Discus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
krislewis3
CVASMember

PostSubject: Reasons to raise Discus   Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:29 am

They are incredibly beautiful
They are docile, and love to be handled, stroked, etc
They live 10 years (cost effective)
They feed from your hand
No nets needed, you simply pick them up with your hand
You WONT regret it, you'll buy more, and you'll encourage others to do the same!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reasons to raise Discus   Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:19 am

Discus seem to be one of those fish that are extra effort, but worth it. If you have seen a tank with some nice well kept adult discus, such as your picture it is probably one of the best aquarium tanks you have seen.

I haven't kept discus and don't follow them too closely, but it seems like the demand for them is a lot less than it once was. Does that match you impression?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reasons to raise Discus   Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:40 am

I haven’t noticed any decline in the demand for discus, but of all my tanks (18) they are my favorites. A little more effort, not much more once established, but definitely the most complimented tank. On the rare occasions I do advertise Discus they sell within hours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krislewis3
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reasons to raise Discus   Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:42 am

Hey DLW....18 tanks???? I can only dream of a fish room like that!!how many discus tanks??? Tell me about them...... Kris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reasons to raise Discus   Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Right now only one 110g Discus but all my discus are 4"-6" and very vibrant. (In my opinion Smile ) I have a 150 tall ordered for my second Discus tank but it will be Nov-Dec before I get it going. I did have a second tank awhile back with some streight from the Amazon but did not enjoy them as much and sold the fish then converted it for Angels.

I am very fortunate that my wife enjoys looking at the fish so very little complants about the number of tanks. I am at 18, down for 26. Mainly changing size, too many small tanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krislewis3
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reasons to raise Discus   Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:15 pm

You must have a BIG house!!!!!! Please post a photo of your discus!
My first attempt at discus, is my current tank, with 5 discus, smallest is 51/2", and largest is close to 7".
Now that I'm more experienced, I'm wondering if I could grow some dinner-plate sized discus!!! I was thinking about some 'wilds', but now after hearing about your experience with them..I'm not sure!!!
I'm curious about your other tanks, and what some of your other favorites are???,Kris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reasons to raise Discus   Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:03 pm

I mainly have Angels, several verities. I also have 14" Bala Sharks, 5 verities of Corys, Rummy nose tetras (I really like these), BN plecos, and assorted tetras. I am looking for Denison Barbs but they are hard to find.

Don't be afraid of F0 Discus, just don't do what I did. Quarantined them for 6 months, than added domestics. Killed some of both. Very expensive lession. Both were very healthy before I mixed them. Seems the wilds can carry stuff that the domestics can't handle and visa versa. I have other friends that have mix them successfully but the wilds are not as colorful so I dropped that plan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Reasons to raise Discus   Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:52 pm

DLW wrote:
I mainly have Angels, several verities. I also have 14" Bala Sharks, 5 verities of Corys, Rummy nose tetras (I really like these), BN plecos, and assorted tetras. I am looking for Denison Barbs but they are hard to find.

Don't be afraid of F0 Discus, just don't do what I did. Quarantined them for 6 months, than added domestics. Killed some of both. Very expensive lession. Both were very healthy before I mixed them. Seems the wilds can carry stuff that the domestics can't handle and visa versa. I have other friends that have mix them successfully but the wilds are not as colorful so I dropped that plan.
I have 4 very healthy Denison's that I would love to sell or trade. PM me if your interested.

Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Skoolz of fish posted this today.   Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Skoolz of Fish
Orders placed. Lots of fish coming this week including discus, motoro stingrays, silver arowana and much more.

fish 

Blue platy & Endler Breeder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reasons to raise Discus   Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:20 am

Here is a picture of my Discus...sorry not a really good one.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
krislewis3
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reasons to raise Discus   Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:28 am

Very pretty tank....are those adult discus?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reasons to raise Discus   Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:55 am

Most are 5"-6"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Reasons to raise Discus   Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:59 pm

DLW wrote:
Here is a picture of my Discus...sorry not a really good one.
Great looking tank and fish. I always wanted to give Discus a try. Never had the nerve... Congrats!!! great
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reasons to raise Discus   

Back to top Go down

Reasons to raise Discus

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-