Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Anybody here hatch their own BBS?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:29 am

Question Learning how to hatch Baby Brine Shrimp changed everything. Before I learned how to hatch BBS, I was a fish keeper. I thought it was fun just to keep fish alive. I knew a little about breeding because I kept guppies. When a pair of Angelfish spawned and the eggs hatched, I had to find food to feed the fry. That’s when I found out about BBS. That is also when I became a hobbyist who breeds, enjoys and develops his own lines of fish. The point is Baby Brine Shrimp? Anybody here hatch their own BBS? Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Yup - been using BS for many years - probably the best first food for most fish.  It really makes a huge difference in survival for certain fish that dont do well on dry foods.  For small fish (dwarf cichlids, blue-eye & threadfin rainbows, gobies, tetras) feeding fresh-hatched BS to the breeders will make more nutritious egg yolk and thus healthier eggs & fry.

They lose a lot of their nutritional value during the first molt, so you want to use them as soon after hatching as possible, before they molt. I refrigerate the extras to keep them in that first stage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Same here... I hatch around 3 batches a week. I use refrigeration for storage too. It's better than hatching every day. It's so easy and there are so many benefits when feeding BBS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:23 am

Liz has hatched her own BBS and has some good hatchery tips for anyone starting out.  She is away right now but I hope she'll post here when she gets back.  Very Happy
I haven't tried it for myself because I've always thought it might be too messy?

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:41 pm

@Deb wrote:

I haven't tried it for myself because I've always thought it might be too messy?
That's why I started this thread... I know you aren't by yourself. It is really easy, not messy at all and the results are amazing.

Here's a picture of my one quart BBS hatching container. I started a new batch a few minutes ago and shot this picture. This hatchery produces enough live BBS to feed all five of my tanks several times a day for a couple of days. I have been using this hatchery continuously for over 15 years...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:35 pm

I also hatch baby brine shrimp and use the plastic soda bottle method which is not nearly as nice as Johnnys but it does work well.

Agree with the others, I use BBS for fry and for my community tank. I've always thought the act of chasing food (BBS) was good for the fish as it was a more natural act of feeding, more so than eating pellets.

My fish go crazy over Baby Brine Shrimp.

Here's a video I found very informative on hatching Baby Brine Shrimp.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sNx9zTOnQ

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:14 pm

Oh yes it is, if you knock it over on the floor.

@JohnnyAMH wrote:
@Deb wrote:

.... It is really easy, not messy at all and the results are amazing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:04 pm

@gerald wrote:
Oh yes it is, if you knock it over on the floor.
Well, now that you put it that way... affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:05 am

I guess the possibility of spills is always a there in raising brine shrimp. I started with a DIY useing 2 liter bottles. I put them in a Rubbermaid tube, just in case, and it worked well. The main issue I had was the amount of BS I could hatch at one time. Raising a large number of Angels, Corys, and other fish I had 3, 2 liter bottles going all the time at 1 day intervals. I finally went to a 5 gallon hatchery and it has turned out to be a great no mess easy way of hatching out the shrimp.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:25 am

Wow! A five gallon hatchery. That's a lot of BBS. Shocked  Do you store hatched BBS or hatch every day?

Last edited by JohnnyAMH on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:57 am

one hatch will last 3-5 days depending on the amount of frys. I have been experimenting with growing them out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:23 am

@DLW wrote:
one hatch will last 3-5 days depending on the amount of frys. I have been experimenting with growing them out.
You store for three to five days... You must be using refrigeration too. I haven't had much luck growing out BS... I'm gonna try again next summer. I didn't use aeration this year. Maybe, next year I can find an easy way to do it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:39 am

No refrigeration. I use aeration, usually won't hatch without it, add vitamins and minerals then feed the brine once they hatch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:34 pm

@DLW wrote:
No refrigeration. I use aeration, usually won't hatch without it, add vitamins and minerals then feed the brine once they hatch.
That's interesting because as BBS grow they loose nutritional value as the yolk sack is absorbed. Refrigeration helps to preserve the nutritional value by allowing us to harvest at the peak of value and slowing the metabolic absorption of the yolk sack. Since I harvest as soon after a good hatch and store in the fridge, I often keep my hatchery going an extra 24 hours to allow further hatching and harvesting of any I may have missed the first time around. I don't think that BBS kept without refrigeration pass 24 are worthless. I do think that they are not as nutritionally rich.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:58 pm

That is why I feed them and as far as nutritional value, I use the high survival rate of my Angels, corys, and killies as a gauge. But, as in anything else, you do what works for you. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:43 pm

@DLW wrote:
That is why I feed them and as far as nutritional value, I use the high survival rate of my Angels, corys, and killies as a gauge. But, as in anything else, you do what works for you. Very Happy 
Raising tropical fish has many variables and there are many ways to do things. I'm happy to hear your way is giving you good results. It's one cool hobby... Enjoy!!!bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:47 pm

@JohnnyAMH wrote:

Here's a picture of my one quart BBS hatching container. I started a new batch a few minutes ago and shot this picture. This hatchery produces enough live BBS to feed all five of my tanks several times a day for a couple of days. I have been using this hatchery continuously for over 15 years...

Here's a picture taken 24 hours later. Notice the change of color in the hatching container. It indicates that it's time to harvest the BBS but it is best to wait a few minutes after cutting off aeration. The empty egg shells will float to the top of the water column and the BBS being light sensitive are attracted to the light. That can make harvesting easier. Arrow 

Here's what my BBS hatchery looked like after a few minutes... Arrow 

There are a few different ways to harvest BBS. I going to try to come up with some pictures to show the way I do it...

Do you hatch your own live BBS and how do you harvest them? Anyone else have any BBS hatchery pictures to share? fish
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:35 pm

@DLW wrote:

I agree DLW! Cool A lot of our fish are breeding now and BBS is a great first food... Cool
I consider starting to hatch BBS key to my evolving in the hobby. Newly hatched fry and small fish love to eat them and you are right DLW, it's hard to beat them for nutritional value. Many people have many different of methods of hatching and harvesting. I hatch two or three batches a week to maintain enough BBS to feed several tanks, several times a day; daily. The picture DLW posted of his BBS hatchery shows a popular setup. Another popular setup is the inverted Coke bottle hatchery. Both have shapes that allow the egg cyst to float freely when the container contents are aerated. My hatching container which is pictured at the beginning of this thread has been in use about  20 years. I prefer it because of the ease of its use, reuse and to me, is not messy...Cool
Other pictures of BBS hatcheries might be helpful to people who are on the fence and considering hatching Baby Brine Shrimp...study
Methods of harvesting differ too. I siphon my newly hatched BBS through a coffee filter. There are several methods of harvesting too...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:03 am

Can anyone recommend a place to order BBS eggs online? Something larger than the couple of gram containers I'm finding around town. Maybe in the couple of ounce range.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:45 am

AngelsPlus sells them.

http://www.angelsplus.com/FryBrineShrimp.htm

I'm sure DLW and JohnnyAMH both have a good supplier.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Try Brine Shrimp Direct
bhttp://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:50 pm

I concur with Neogeo. I also buy mine from Brine Shrimp Direct. I usually buy a 15oz. can of the grade A. It last me about a year. I try to buy mine during the winter months when it is cold. Also, it is worth mentioning that it is best to at least store the can refrigerated if plan to store them for an extended time. Many people keep the can frozen and remove about a month's worth at a time for use. I have had good results just keeping them refrigerated... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)

Last edited by JohnnyAMH on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:48 pm

This is a great thread. I have hatched them on the regular using the 2-liter bottle method, which worked great. I no longer do it regularly, since I'm not keeping anything fussy at the moment and I'm not devoting a whole lot of time to the hobby these days, just maintaining displays. I know my fish would love them, regardless, but I'm keeping things pretty darn simple at the moment.

However, I did have to hatch some out for some recent fry that I decided I wanted to grow out, so it is good to dust off the old skills from time to time! Thankfully I keep EVERYTHING and went into storage for the gear. This is a very small quantity at a time so it isn't any big deal.

This is a wonderful reference for others, and I'm glad to see the information here about how to do it and where to get the eggs.

Now, I can't get out of my head the picture of Johnny's BBS vessel overturned onto the floor. Thanks, Gerald! joker lol!

View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:44 pm

I bought from Brineshrimpdirect, usually by the pound but I don't have much call for them now. I still have a large supply of eggs and no fry to feed Sad Maybe I will get back into breeding again who knows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:04 pm

does anyone have a good small batch recipe. You know, the amount of water, eggs, and salt. I'm waiting on my 1st batch now and not sure if i did it correctly. I followed the directions on the BBS container and its been nearly 24 hours. I cant see any real change to the color of the solution or movement changes when I turn the air source off. I do have it running in my basement which is cooler but I do have a light source right next to the setup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   

Back to top Go down

Anybody here hatch their own BBS?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Diet and Nutrition-