Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Anybody here hatch their own BBS?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Question Learning how to hatch Baby Brine Shrimp changed everything. Before I learned how to hatch BBS, I was a fish keeper. I thought it was fun just to keep fish alive. I knew a little about breeding because I kept guppies. When a pair of Angelfish spawned and the eggs hatched, I had to find food to feed the fry. That’s when I found out about BBS. That is also when I became a hobbyist who breeds, enjoys and develops his own lines of fish. The point is Baby Brine Shrimp? Anybody here hatch their own BBS? Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:53 pm

Liz wrote:
Now, I can't get out of my head the picture of Johnny's BBS vessel overturned onto the floor. Thanks, Gerald! joker lol!

I can confidently assure you that it is a very steady and sturdy vessel. I have used it several times a week for many years and it has never come close to tipping over. The bottom is very heavy and it's made of thick glass. I feel fortunate to have found it. Its the inverted Coke bottle kits that worries me...Rolling Eyes

Here's a link to the best hatching info I have found to date...study
Hatching Brine Shrimp Cysts

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:04 am

The video I posted is showing coke bottle method. I know everyone has their own methods that work for them so use what you feel comfortable with Smile.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:59 am

Great video!  Easy to understand and minimal equipment used. ThumbsUp  Is this the method you use, Neo?  

If you could clarify one thing - when the narrator says, "hook it up to your central aeration system or an air pump" is there a certain size air pump to use?

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:55 am

That's a good variation of a Coke bottle setup. I think the poster was wise in placing it over a sink.  I do think it's more stable than the tabletop Coke bottle kit... Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:17 am

Deb wrote:
Great video!  Easy to understand and minimal equipment used. ThumbsUp  Is this the method you use, Neo?  

If you could clarify one thing - when the narrator says, "hook it up to your central aeration system or an air pump" is there a certain size air pump to use?

I have used central aeration system and separate air pumps. I can say from experience that both work equally as good. The goal is to keep the water circulating just enough, so you don't want too much flow or too little flow. Just enough where where everything is circulating properly and smoothly.  So use an air pump that isn't too strong or too weak.

I personally use the coke bottle method with a little twist to it. I usually put my bbs hatchery inside the tank for better temperature control. In the video I posted my bbs hatchery is in a bucket with full of water but the room its in its so hot that I don't need to monitor the temperature at all. I also like the fact that the coke bottle method its very cheap, easy to start and cost effective. Hopefully this video gives you a better idea.

Dolphin Aquarium pump (current pump I'm using)

Before mixing bbs & salt

After mixing bbs & salt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:18 am

Good video Neo! There are many adaptations using the Coke bottle. I like yours a lot... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:47 pm

Years ago when I had the AMH web site running, I requested that visitors to the site that had pictures of their BBS hatcheries send them to me and allow me to publish them on my site for other to see. Many people sent me pictures of their hatcheries. I plan to post a few here starting today. You will notice that some of the pictures display huge volume hatching capabilities. There are two basic reasons.

Some of the pictures are the hatcheries of major Angelfish breeders at that time. They hatched large quantities to fed immediately and held back some BBS to store refrigerated for later feedings. That way they could almost guarantee that they would always have an ample supply of BBS on hand for their precious fry. They harvested the BBS at their peak of nutritional value. The cool  temperatures of refrigerated storage slowed down the metabolism of the BBS and in turn slowed down their consumption of their nutritious yoke sacks, thus maintaining  nutritional value. Others who did not need as many BBS and choose to simply run two hatcheries, alternating days to maintain a steady supply.  

Pictured below is a popular BBS hatchery still sold online today. It features a stand and cone shaped vessel. Notice the convenient nozzles at the bottom for harvesting.

Not everyone uses the inverted Coke bottle hatcheries. Some hobbyist thought completely out the box.

Here's a picture submitted by one of the most well know Angelfish breeders in the country. This picture is about 15 years old and may not represent how he currently hatches BBS. This guy has a large Angelfish business. When he submitted the photo he noted that his setup met his BBS needs because he used refrigeration for storage.

I have many more pictures of BBS hatcheries I can share... study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:30 pm

Here's a few more examples of BBS hatcheries from the old AMH website... Neutral

Here's another version of the inverted Coke bottle hatchery. This hobbyist uses two liter bottles.

This hobbyist uses a large jar to support his inverted Coke bottle hatchery. It appears to not be as top heavy as some inverted Coke bottle setups and more stable.

Here's another version of the inverted Coke bottle hatchery. Notice the coffee filter this picture and the top picture. Some hobbyist use coffee filters to collect and strain the BBS for feeding. I prefer paper coffee filters to prevent the loss of smaller BBS.

These are not the only methods to hatch BBS. I have many more pictures... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:54 am

Johnny, will you please remind us again what the AMH website was? I remember you wrote about it once, but I can't find that post now.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:26 pm

The name of the web site was the Angelfish Micro Hatchery. The mission of the web site was to provide information and techniques to Angelfish enthusiast who wanted to breed Angelfish on a small scale. It did not feature information on Angelfish genetics although that is a personal interest of mine. It did feature info on feeding and conditioning for breeding. It focused quite a bit on water quality and its importance and well as general husbandry. It shared techniques used by large scale breeders and how those techniques could be applied by the average hobbyist...Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here hatch their own BBS?   

Back to top Go down

Anybody here hatch their own BBS?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Diet and Nutrition-