Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Forgot to check my water perameters since mid sept, fish death

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Forgot to check my water perameters since mid sept, fish death   Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:46 pm

First,

I know, I know I should have checked. Normaly I check, and I do water changes when my house plants need to be watered. But,( and the house plants have also suffered). I've been busy, I go out everyday looking to find a job and when I get home I don't like to think.

Usually my once a week routine, reflects perfect perimeters. I water my plants, I do a water change, I do my testing and everything is good. I also have allot of live plants in the tank now, and one died and I didn't know.

So basically yesterday 3 fish died, I found them, freaked out and fixed my tank. Now how ever a few fish out of the ones that are still with us have lost some scales (maybe 5scales)and a section on the sides under the dorsal have become grayish pale. The people at petsmart wanna sale me melafix organic ginger smelling mess, that stuff has never worked with anything.

So I guess what is everyone else's opinion?

Should I try a specific medication?
Wait it out? Maybe it was just the bad water?
Other?

My reaction is to check water levels and watch the fish. Everyone seems to be doing well, besides the esthetic issues going on.  I feel like I need one of those construction signs that reads "days with out incident". Ive had sick fish, but not this before.

Blue platy & Endler Breeder

Last edited by Sbane5001 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to check my water perameters since mid sept, fish death   Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Embarassed 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to check my water perameters since mid sept, fish death   Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Hope all goes well for the survivors. I personally love to use Melafix and Pimafix. I have found very successful with cuts, abrasions, slime coat, pop eye, and some parasitic problems. I also use when adding new fish.
Good luck with your job search also. I was out for 10 - 11 months so I know how hard it is.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to check my water perameters since mid sept, fish death   Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Hard to give advice if you dont tell us what exactly went wrong. Was it low pH? Platies are probably OK down to mid-low 6's, will suffer if it gets much below 6.0. If it was just acid stress, and you've corrected the problem, then you may not need to do anything else. If it's a disease, like maybe Flexibacter or Costia or something, then it may need treatment. The photo is not clear enough to be helpful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to check my water perameters since mid sept, fish death   Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:12 pm

THe people in petsmart talked me into pimafix... I'm going to do another water change tomorrow.

It looks kinda like columnaris...

Sad 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
krislewis3
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to check my water perameters since mid sept, fish death   Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:47 am

If you have sick fish., but aren't sure what's wrong with them, it's best to do daily 50% water changes. It's amazing what clean water can accomplish!!
If you have a diagnosis, medicate them as we'll.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to check my water perameters since mid sept, fish death   Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:36 am

I don't have a "professional diagnosis", but ya it does looks like columnaris. The increased salt, pimafix and water changes has stopped the advancement, and in some of them the grayish spots appear to be gaining back color...

The gills on the effected fish have started turning a bit red, makes me think of ammonia poisoning. But they aren't gasping.

Either way another water change, and another dose of pimafix. If they start to gasp I will go buy the ammonia assist med from petsmart. Unless other suggestions?

All the fry in my tank seem to be just fine, swimming around in the grass and ferns. Btw I did discover a large dead plant behind my larger driftwood. I forgot about that one. Embarassed 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
krislewis3
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to check my water perameters since mid sept, fish death   Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:33 pm

My advise.....water change, water change, water change!!!!! And then another water change!!!!l LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forgot to check my water perameters since mid sept, fish death   

Back to top Go down

Forgot to check my water perameters since mid sept, fish death

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-