Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…   Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:02 pm

In my humble opinion, there is little in Aquaria that can compare with owning my own lines of tropical fish. Over the years I have learned to appreciate the way I prefer to participate in aquaria. There are so many fish available to hobbyist these days. Every time I visit an aquatic store, I see so many different fish that I would love to take home but I find it easy to resist temptation. The reason is that I found my own niche years ago. I enjoy developing and owning my own lines of tropical fish.

I keep it simple. I have five tanks with a total of 125 gallons of tank space. I don’t propose or suggest that more or less tanks are better.  I’m just happy that I’m able to get so much satisfaction from so few tanks.  I keep and breed Angelfish, Bristle Nosed Plecos and Guppies. All are easy to breed fish. My Guppy line is around 20 years old. In the past I developed my own of line of Koi Angelfish through selective breeding. That was my most rewarding experience in the hobby. Unfortunately, I lost that line a few years when we had a hurricane here but the thrill remains.

I’m sure I’m not the only one here who has experienced the joy of owning one’s own line of fish. I would love to hear about the experiences of others who have owned or own their own line of fish. Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…   Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Do you have any pictures of your guppies? I've been working with endlers and platies myself.

Blue platy & Endler Breeder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…   Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:48 pm

I've been culturing Gulf Coast pygmy sunfish (my avatar) continuously since the late 90's, Julidochromis ornatus since the mid-90s, and kribensis since the mid-80's. I had Apistogramma macmasteri and rainbow shiners for 3 or 4 generations, but lost those. There's certain fish I just love keeping through many generations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…   Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:56 am

Gerald I love your pigmy sunfish! It's a cichlid? If I ever do a second tank, it will probably be cichlids or discus.. I would consider angels, but I've never seen a blue angel fish.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…   Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:50 am

Pygmy sunfish are not cichlids - they're in their own family, closely related to the true sunfish family (bluegill, crappie, largemouth bass, pumpkinseed, etc).  Dominant males are beautiful and do really cool courtship displays, but most of the time they hide in the plants or under leaf litter, and they need tiny live food.  "Some people" find them disappointing as aquarium fish |;>)

Blue angelfish are more of a powder blue - not deep royal blue like the Gulf Coast pygmy and Okefenokee pygmy sunfishes. Rainbow darter and orangethroat darter are some other fish with deep blue colors, if you dont want Malawi cichlids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…   Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Would you say that sunfish are peaceful fish? Or more inline with cichlid behavior?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…   Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Males are territorial and chase others away from their favorite spot with a quick strike, but the whole fight is over in 1/2 second. They don't chase fish around the tank like cichlids, barbs, or swordtails do. They prefer to just hover in one spot most of the time, and they ignore anything that's not another pygmy sunfish. You can probably keep them with dwarf rasbora, galaxy danio, clown killifish, least killifish, or other non-territorial fish that stay under 1.5". Erica in Winston-Salem is keeping scarlet dario with pygmy sunfish, and so far she says its working OK. With platies or guppies it may be hard for the pygmies to get enough food, and they will NOT eat flakes or pellets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…   Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Cool, well I only do flake food. I'm a low maintenance kind of girl when it comes to my tank. :/

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…   Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 am

gerald wrote:
I've been culturing Gulf Coast pygmy sunfish (my avatar) continuously since the late 90's, Julidochromis ornatus since the mid-90s, and kribensis since the mid-80's.  I had Apistogramma macmasteri and rainbow shiners for 3 or 4 generations, but lost those.  There's certain fish I just love keeping through many generations.
That Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish is one beautiful fish. How many do you have and how large do they get? Shocked

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…   Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:12 pm

About an inch. A trophy-size one might get almost 1.5 inches. Right now i'm down to one pair and a few tiny fry, i think. (they're really tiny and their tank is a solid mass of moss and algae).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…   Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:22 am

gerald wrote:
About an inch.  A trophy-size one might get almost 1.5 inches.  Right now i'm down to one pair and a few tiny fry, i think.  (they're really tiny and their tank is a solid mass of moss and algae).
Thanks for replying. My guppy line has gotten down to one pair several times. It sure kept things interesting... tongue

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…   

Back to top Go down

The joy of owning one’s own line of fish…

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-