Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Gordon's Friends

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Gordon's Friends   Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Gordon's Friends
"This is also the information center for Driftwood Aquatics pet store in Tappahannock. As most of you know we had a major fire at Driftwood and are currently out of business until we reopen we will try to keep our customers informed via this page."

Warsaw, Virginia   22572

Phone Number:
(804) 443 3474

facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gordons-Friends/148331462035229

From the Northern Neck News.
(Heathsville) http://www.northernnecknews.com/?p=11935
Click to read the full story:
Spoiler:

"Gordon the Tortoise checking out his new store!"

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Gordon's Friends   Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Today, I traveled to Warsaw, Virginia, to visit Gordon's Friends.  Gordon's Friends, also called Gordon's Pet Store, is on Richmond Road (Route 360) in the center of town and easy to find.  Gordon's opened after the terrible fire at Driftwood Aquatics in Tappahannock.  DA was a very charming and interesting little pet shop, with an emphasis on tropical fish.  When it burned, a notice went out that Gordon's shop would be a replacement.  So I went off to Warsaw in great anticipation.  

What can I say?  Gordon's is nothing like Driftwood Aquatics used to be.  Gordon's did not have the sort of fish that hobbyists seek.  There were no catfish at all, but three corys.  Cichlids were represented by a few small Oscars.  There was a decent-looking planted angelfish display tank with four ordinary, quarter-size angels in it.  Tetras were represented by some neons and a couple others.  There were a few giant danios and a few ordinary livebearers.  I saw a few koi in a larger lower tank.  Honestly, if I have forgotten something I apologize but I looked through all the tanks twice and saw nothing interesting.  You see these kind of fish everywhere, only more of them and better looking.  Most of the tanks were very small and many were empty.  The empty tanks had labels, but these were not exciting, either.  "Med. pleco" means nothing to me except the usual tiny Pterygoplichthys which will grow up to be 17".  Pet stores should not even sell these fish, in my opinion.  

There is a small saltwater side and a small fish food section.  Hard goods include a lot of colored gravel, filters and pumps in boxes, and some aquarium kits.  I think if someone wanted to start a ten gallon tank with a few nondescript mid-water swimmers they would have been able to fit it out.  

Gordon's is not fish only, by any means.  There were some birds in cages and a few Holland Lap bunnies.  I believe their reptile section is pretty good, and they seem to have the right supplies for them.  

All in all, it was a bit of a time waster but I wanted to go and my husband was willing.  We had some great coffee at Java Jack's in Tappahannock.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Gordon's Friends   Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:44 pm

I have never been to visit Gordon's so I appreciate your review. Times are lean for pet shop owners these days. The national big box stores have created an environment that makes it difficult for Mom and Pop pet businesses to thrive. They have to be special. That's not always easy. It would be sad to hear of another local pet store gone. I wish them well and hope things work out.. Crying or Very sad

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Gordon's Friends   Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:52 am

To be fair I need to say two things:

1.) The above review is based on how Gordon's stacks up as a destination LFS.  Is it worth the drive from Richmond, or not?  In my opinion, no, for the reasons given, and more.  Gordon's may be a great local resource - perhaps they will order anything you want, or maybe they give really great advice - but for an out-of-towner it does not deliver on either livestock or goods.  

2.) Even though the store has not been opened long, the owners are (according to the newspaper) grown children of the former owners of Driftwood Aquatics, the LFS which burned up in a fire last summer (July 2013.)  Therefore, I expected the sensibility and charm of the old DA to be evident at Gordon's.  The former owners of DA, the Rogers', hang out at Gordon's - I saw them on the day I was there - so I assumed their style and business sense would be evident at Gordon's.  

Perhaps in time Gordon's will improve.  The ride over there on 360 is very pleasant, and there is great food in Tappahannock, a natural stop on the way.  I will keep track of them on facebook and maybe pay them another visit in a year.  Very Happy 

Meanwhile, if any of you are near or passing through Warsaw, VA, please visit Gordon's and add your own review here.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gordon's Friends   

Back to top Go down

Gordon's Friends

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Area Fish Stores - Locations and Reviews :: Central Virginia Fish Stores-