Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

new 150g Tall

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: new 150g Tall   Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:06 pm

I just bought a 150g tall tank with a 50g sump for Discus. I was thinking about using eco-complete under filter sand for the plants. Any ideas/concerns about this setup?

Any thoughts are welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:20 pm

Oh nice... that sounds so exciting, it is so much fun setting up a new tank especially a big tank like a 150.

I'll be following this thread....

DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm excited too! I have my Discus in a 110 in the basement so this will bring them upstairs. Building the stand right now but soon will start the tank scapeing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:11 pm

I have a 150 tall as well, and I can't wait to see your setup!

The only thing that I see happening with the substrate is that larger particles will rise above smaller ones, so the Eco-complete would wind up on top, sand on the bottom.

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:24 am

Congrats on the new tank!!! Enjoy... cheers

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:45 am

Cool! Subscribed.....pics!! Smile 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:34 am

@DL Lawrence wrote:
Cool!  Subscribed.....pics!!  Smile 
Right - as anyone on a forum will tell you..... It didn't happen without pics! good one!

View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:44 am

lol, I'll take pics as I go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:35 am

Have you considered using Eco-complete alone?

Eco-Complete fine-grade might be a good choice for you.  That's what I use in my 55 gallon Asian set-up and I couldn't be more pleased.

How deep do you want it?  To achieve a depth of 1.5 inches in a tank 60" long and 24" wide, which is what I assume a 150 tall is, you will need about 120 lbs of Eco-Complete regular.  You will probably need less of the fine-grade to get the same depth.  

One desirable side-effect of the expensive planting substrates is that they tend to keep the water parameters stable.  

I love your new avatar and I think your Discus tank is going to be awesome!

DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:14 pm

The tank is 4'x2'x3' approx. The reason for the sand is that eco-complete is so dark that it can cause the Discus to "pepper". Not so much a problem with the blues but the reds and lighter ones it can really show up. Right I am planning on 60#s of the fine. If I stick to eco only I will add another 60#s. Also, If I add corys the sand is easier on them. So many decisions. Very Happy

Thank you on the avatar, I have had him since he was smaller than dime size. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:45 am

Ok so here are some pics of building the stand for the 150. The first this was to cut the top and bottom plates and lay them out.

Next, my son and I had to figure out how tall to make the stand. I wanted it shorter than normal because of the height of the tank but my son convinced me it needed to be 30" to accommodate the Fluval FX6. So, we cut the studs and laid them out.

Next, we used screws to assemble the stand. We use screws incase we make a mistake it is easy to take it apart. Smile

At this point, I decided to go with natural oak, so we used 3/4" oak plywood. 1/2" would have worked fine but they were out and 3/4" was only $4 more. We cut the sides 1" taller than the top plate so the tank plastic edge is partially covered on the bottom.

Next, we placed the top on, just regular 1/2 plywood, to make sure everything was correctly measured and added the oak L trim for the edges and standard oak base at the bottom.

Now comes the doors. I did not want hinged doors because when open they are always in the way so I went with "pop off" doors. And I will let you know how well the work Smile

Well now we have it ready to finish. I will do that later today. I will add the trim to the doors before the clear coat is applied. Once completed I will post a finished pic. I will install electrical outlets, under cabinet light, and roll out self for the filter before setting the tank. Hopefully today.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:25 am

Wow-very nice! Looking good-

I love a good pic-rich build thread. Keep 'em coming! More details on the doors, please....Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:20 pm

This is EXCELLENT Stuff!

I'm in the process of trimming out a 4x2 for a 120 and the images/info you provide are most helpful.

This does not appear to be the first stand you guys have built, outstanding work.

Looking forward to additional updates on your 150 tank build - thanks for sharing.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Outstanding craftsmanship! Thanks for sharing... Cool 

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Ok, A few more pics. This one shows the stand with one door removed. As you can see the push clips at the top and bottom. This will allow the door to be completely out of the way when maintaining the tank filters.

And here is the stand with the first coat. I will sand it lightly and add a couple more coats and then install the rest of the hardware. Got distracted with my grandson and didn't get much done yesterday Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Very impressive job David. Going to be an awesome piece of furniture. Will you be building a csnopy also?

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:52 am

Nice job! Great idea on the push clips-I can see how that would be a great help, having the door completely out of the way for maintenance. That's a great looking stand- you got skills! Smile 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks for the kind words, I am not sure about a canopy, it was in the plans but height is an issue and it is at 62" now so I will wait and see. (I have 9' ceilings but my 5'6" wife thinks it is already too tall for the center of the room)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:24 am

The stand build is coming along great! :thumbsup:It's going to be a beautiful job when you are all done.

Your decision to make the taller stand was right, IMO.  With a three foot high tank, a shorter cabinet might have looked ill-proportioned.  In fact, 30" is just below chair rail height, so you could have gone a couple of inches higher, IMO.  Just thinking of proportions.  
Your wife has a point about the viewing height, but the proportion of the tank height to the stand height takes priority, from the standpoint of visual harmony.
Again, just IMO.

However you do it, it's a great job.  A few years ago we finished an aspenwood chest of drawers in about five coats of clear coat and it came out beautifully, with a low luster and subtle sheen.  All that hand-rubbing, though ... *lol*

Muse
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:12 am

I'm so jealous! LOL! I love Discus... and I will get them eventually... but not right now. Your new setup looks like it is going to be super nice. I love the stand build!

100 Gallon Planted (Philippine Blue Angels, German Blue Rams, German Gold Rams, Panda Corys, Clown Plecos, Black Skirt Tetras, Electric Blue Acaras)
55 Gallon Planted (Philippine Blue Angels, Julli Corys, BN Albino Pleco, Electric Blue Acaras)
36 Gallon Bowfront (Philippine Blue Angels, Clown Pleco, Bolivian Rams)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Ok, the build continues.
Here is the completed stand in place. I was concerned about the pull off doors and the carpet and rightly so, as I add water, the stand sinks into the carpet and the doors do not. It make the trim uneven but I really like the way the doors are so I will try to fix it at a later date.

I built a filter stand on slides so I could pull the filter out for cleaning...

On the left hand side I added peg board. This will allow me to hang nets and cleaning tools and add shelves to store everything out of sight. In the back I have added 2 power strips and an 18w UV sterilizer. There is also a place for the CO2 tank behind the filter that can't be seen in the pictures.

I turn to the tank build. I added 30# of large rocks on one side of the tank. I covered the rocks with 60# of eco-complete. I did this to build up that one side. Tomorrow I will add 200# of eco-complete to the rest of the tank. Once that is done I will add 72 plants, all South American, (well, almost all Smile) I have added a Current 4' programmable LED light and a CO2 system. Once everything is in place I will fill it the rest of the way up and let the plants take root for a couple of weeks. I transferred 30 gallons of water out of the existing Discus tank to aid in the cycling process. I will add more pictures as I go.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Wow David, your quite the McGuiver!. Really a great job and ingenuity. Can't wait to see completed project. Thanks for sharing as well as some of the space saving tips. Going to add some pegboard to two of my stands. Don't know how or why I did not think of that myself...lol
I especially like the idea of the slide out for your filter. I've always complained my grills did not have slide outs for the propane tank. My canister filters are heavy when full and I should have thought of that too. Going to make those changes also.

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:54 am

Wow, man, that's awesome- love the sliders for the filters, and the pegboard storage deal. Very cool!
I'm with Ron- I may look under my stands and "re-evaluate" how things can be arranged/cleaned up- thanks for the ideas- that stand rocks.  rockin\' 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:34 pm

You're going to need some really spectacular fish to draw attention away from that stand.

Regarding the door/carpet problem, can you just add another strip of wood around the perimeter under the stand, maybe 1/2 or 3/4" thick (carpet compression depth) ? It doesn't even need to be attached - just tilt up each edge a little and stuff a strip underneath. Or, use about 10 carpet casters, like these: http://www.amazon.com/Slipstick-CB410-Carpet-Caster-Clear/dp/B002CGRVMK
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:54 pm

I am talking with my son about that very thing. We did not put a bottom on it so maybe 1/2 plywood on the bottom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   

Back to top Go down

new 150g Tall

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-