Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

new 150g Tall

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: new 150g Tall   Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

I just bought a 150g tall tank with a 50g sump for Discus. I was thinking about using eco-complete under filter sand for the plants. Any ideas/concerns about this setup?

Any thoughts are welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:59 am

I would just remove the bottom trim from the door, and then perm attach the trim to the base. Making the door shorter at the bottom and the trim at the bottom stationary. Then you shouldn't have anymore structural shifting from location instability.

Hopefully the trim isn't taller than your pull out drawer... But you could raise the drawer.

Blue platy & Endler Breeder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:03 am

We continue...I added some water and then the plants. I really over bought the plants so for now all I added were 5 Chain Sword (Echinodorus tenellus), 8 Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis Mauritianna), 2 Madagascar Lace Plants, 4 Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri), 4 Anubias Frazeri (Tall) 6 Italian Vals (Vallisnera Spiralis).

I am still having cloudy water issue, apparently Eco-complete had some problems and I could probably get it replaced, but I will see if I can get it to clear up. I added 4 Hatchet fish help with the cycle process. I also used water from the existing Discuss tank.

To fix the door problem I ended up cutting off 1/2" from the bottom. This worked great and you don't notice it at all. The slide shelf had to be upgraded. At first I used plywood but it showed signs of splitting where the screws were so I went with 3/4" pine. It is much sturdier. I also added 1 large piece of driftwood. I used a 500w heater and for now a HoB filter to help with clearing the water.
More to come...Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Well the Discus are in the tank and doing well. The plants have taken off but I am still not hppy with the layout and will re-arrange at a later date. Here are some pics:

After the plants get some size they should hide the stuff in back...

as you can see it is hard to get a pic because they are so social they all swim to the camera.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Wow very nice. You have done a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:11 pm

All I can say is wow… That is one beautiful tank project from start to finish, from the top to the bottom and inside and out. Thanks for sharing the whole procedure. Everything is so well thought out. I love the racks and the ease maintenance you built into the stand.

The tank itself is outstanding already. The Discus look great and I can tell the plants are starting to grow in nicely. I have always wanted to have a tank like yours. It’s amazing now and I’m sure it will only get better. Touchdown!!!   cheers

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:53 pm

This looks really nice!  great  I love your solution to the doors and the way the whole stand has turned out.  Do the Discus mind being open on all sides like that?  A lot of fish would love it, just wondering if Discus do.  (You said they were very social, so ... *lol*)      

You mentioned a UV sterilizer.  Is this something you intend to run all the time?  In your opinion, should this piece of equipment be standard with a Discus set-up?

How did you decide on the types of plants?  Are you going to use any branches or upright pieces of wood, too?  

Also, will you just have the one 500W heater?  What do you think of using two smaller wattage heaters?  (I've never used two heaters but I often see it suggested.)     

One last thing - you had mentioned "peppering" of light discus over dark substrate.  Is the lefthand orange discus in the last photo showing peppering?  Or is that just her natural coloring?  Just wondering if the Eco-Complete is causing an issue at all.  

All in all, it's a fantastic set-up and having it centrally located upstairs where you can see it all the time must be great.  besotted

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:59 pm

I must admit I’m curious too…  study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:23 am

Thank you, to answer your questions Being open on all sides can be stressful to Discus. But these have adjusted to it very well. Also with just my wife and myself, my daughter is gone a lot, there is not a lot going on. The back being open does cause algae issues because of the south window in the kitchen. The Discus seem to enjoy watching my wife cook and get very excited when anyone opens the refrigerator.(they think they are getting frozen beef liver)

About the UV sterilizer, I have researched it a lot and came to the conclusion that there is no right answer. I think that it is extremely helpful for Discus because they are so susceptible to sickness and parasites. That said I did not have one in the 110 tank. There are a lot of differing opinions about how long to run it, some say a couple of hours a day some say only at night, I run it all the time. There is a lot of consideration about pump volume and wattage so to make sure it is utilized to its fullest I leave it running.

The plants I went with were chosen for height, how they spread, and because I liked how they looked.
Most I want South American plants but pick a few from other areas for looks. I have added another piece of drift wood but have not put any vertical branches in yet. If I come across any that I really like I will.

About the heaters, when they were in the 110 I used 2 300w heaters. It worked really well and if there was a failure of one you have the second to keep things "safe" until you replace the malfunctioning one. I did various tests on heaters in my 180 and liked the heat consistency of a singe 700w heater over multiple smaller ones. So I am trying out one 500w and monitoring the heat dispersal with digital thermometers on each side of the tank. so far less than 1 degree difference so I will stay with it for now.

The peppering on the fish is not so much the eco-complete but the color of the eco-complete. I originally had the Discus in a tank with brown gravel, drift wood and Amazon swords because it really made to colors stand out. I found that this was a bad idea because that is were the peppering started. I moved them to a tank with light sand and it stopped and even reversed a little but since moving them to the 150 it shows up more. Eventually the ground cover plants should spared and the problem resolved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:23 pm

Is peppering considered undesirable? Shocked

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:01 am

Yes, if I were trying to sell these it would reduce the value considerably. But for me not so much. I would rather they not have it but they still are very pretty and their personality plays as much a part as their color.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:59 am

@DLW wrote:
Yes, if I were trying to sell these it would reduce the value considerably. But for me not so much. I would rather they not have it but they still are very pretty and their personality plays as much a part as their color.

Very interesting. The peppering you guys describe seems to be a occur naturally. I'm sadden to hear it may reduce value. IMO the opposite should be true. They are beautiful fish. Enjoy!!! Shocked

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:25 pm

This has become one of my favorite threads....

From a few boards laid out on the garage floor to this great big beautiful discus tank - SUPERB JOB DLW!

Thank you for sharing the progress - hope to see more.

Just curious - what temp do you keep your Discus?

DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:25 am

82 degrees.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:41 am

@DLW wrote:
82 degrees.

I was just thinking a few colorful Apistos would add to the beauty, but not detract from the stars of the tank - the Discus.

But that temp is a little warm for apistogramma, they could live in it but it would, most likely, shorten their lifespan.

I think a lot of discus keepers like to add Rams since they prefer the warmer temps.

DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:55 am

I had Rams with them in the other tank as well as Rummy nose tetras and Denison barbs. I haven't decided what I am going to add but some type of shoaling fish is needed other than the hatchets. I am also thinking about some corys, maybe Sturbi or Juli although albinos can handle the heat better but I don't really care for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new 150g Tall   

Back to top Go down

new 150g Tall

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-