Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Sleeping Fish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Sleeping Fish   Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Fish Sleeping
So fish do sleep. They don't have eye lids, so some people can be confused. Typically fish sleep when it's dark, or if you run your light 24/7 they will just sleep when ever. It's important to note that a sleeping fish will stay upright, with gills moving. Sometimes sleeping fish can be observed moving tails and fins on occasion in order to stay in place.

When sleeping most fish prefer dark, sheltered places. This can lead to fish sometimes getting stuck inside decorations, or wedged between rocks.

When designing my tank I always try and create areas that have little to no water movement, shade and the ability for them to safely wedge themselves in if that's what they want. (by using plants and smooth surfaced materials)

The above and below fish enjoys sleeping in the water wisteria.[i]

Fish can become territorial when it comes to sleeping arrangements. Chasing, nipping and wiggling can be agressive behaviors displayed when another fish encroaches on the sleeping area of another. Avoid this by providing adequate shelter for the number of fish in your tank.

Note: Some species of fish, like Neon Tetra's will have color fading while sleeping. Usually once light has been restored, the color will return within minutes.
That's about it for sleeping.

Blue platy & Endler Breeder

Last edited by Sbane5001 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Fish   Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Nice information thanks

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Fish   Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Some fish (certain loaches, darters, wrasses) wiggle down under the sand to sleep. I'll never forget when my mom woke me up frantically late one night because something was horribly wrong with my breeding pair of port cichlids and their 200-ish kids - they were laying motionless all over the tank bottom. ... asleep of course ... Mom rarely looked at my fish, but happened to this time because the babies were pretty cool and this was the first time I had fish other than livebearers breeding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Fish   Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:04 pm

My friends have done the same thing, after a long movie usually one of them will point out the fish.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Fish   Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Sleep is necessary. Imagine never sleeping or just never having periods of darkness. It would be pretty hard to look ones best. The stripes of domestic Silver Angelfish kept in constant light will sometimes fade to a higher degree than those exposed to periods of darkness... Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Fish   Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:04 am

If I forget to turn off the light on the tank at night, the fish will all act sluggish the next day. Plus, The male guppies will pick on any female guppies trying to sleep. It's gotta do something to them psychologically, it's not like they have eyelids.

My fish have favorite places to sleep, eat and hang out when sleeping in the dark. It's fun in the morning to see the many places they sleep. Like the female guppy pictured above, every morning she is in that plant.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Fish   Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:04 am

@Sbane5001 wrote:
If I forget to turn off the light on the tank at night, the fish will all act sluggish the next day. Plus, The male guppies will pick on any female guppies trying to sleep. It's gotta do something to them psychologically, it's not like they have eyelids.

My fish have favorite places to sleep, eat and hang out when sleeping in the dark. It's fun in the morning to see the many places they sleep. Like the female guppy pictured above, every morning she is in that plant.

I do the same thing. I like to enjoy my tanks to the last minute before hitting the sack. My Show Tank is on a lower level than the tanks in my study. It's on a timer. The rest I have to cut off manually. Sometimes they stay on for weeks at a time. I try to stay on top of things a bit more when raising fry... Sleep

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~

Last edited by JohnnyAMH on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Fish   Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 am

The photos in the first post illustrate things very well!  

I've always understood from what I read that fish have to have that break, so if the tank isn't dark, then at least there should be some really dark (and safe) places that they can get into to rest.  Sbane's point about the guppies annoying females who are trying to rest is reason enough to provide a tank of darkness for several hours each day.

My tanks (except one) do not have electric lights so the fish get up with the ambient room light and go to sleep by it, too.  On a day like today, they are in semi-gloom all day!

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Fish   Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:54 am

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=6176&utm_source=PFK_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=January_3_2014&utm_term=Cardinals_answer_prayers&utm_content=html

Nice article on Cardinal Tetras by Nathan Hill. About half way down it discusses color control and how day vs night colors can help camouflage them. The theory he suggests is that the blue stripe confuses predators my making the fish look like a surface reflection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Fish   Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:59 pm

@Deb wrote:
The photos in the first post illustrate things very well!  

I've always understood from what I read that fish have to have that break, so if the tank isn't dark, then at least there should be some really dark (and safe) places that they can get into to rest.  Sbane's point about the guppies annoying females who are trying to rest is reason enough to provide a tank of darkness for several hours each day.

My tanks (except one) do not have electric lights so the fish get up with the ambient room light and go to sleep by it, too.  On a day like today, they are in semi-gloom all day!

Deb, you are so right. Most fish don't need the light as much as we do to enjoy them. Plants need more light than our fish. Ambient room light is all that is really needed especially in my bare bottom tanks but no, I gotta see...  I agree!

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~

Last edited by JohnnyAMH on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Fish   Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:08 pm

I have found that most of my fish (mainly tetras) lose a lot of color and almost look dead when sleeping and waking up from sleep. Within about 20-30 min they look vibrant and normal.

I also found the tiger barbs tend to sleep with their noses pointed down and their bodies in a verticle position.

I typically turn off the lights in my tank daily from 10pm to 7am.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Fish   

Back to top Go down

Sleeping Fish

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-