Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Hello

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SA fish
CVASMember

PostSubject: Hello   Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:57 am

Hello everyone, I am moving from NY to Richmond, I will arrive mid December. As my nickname indicates I am a fan of South American fish. Once my bed is setup and the TV is plugged in, I will set up my 55 gallon tank and start cycling it using a fishless cycle. I plan on having the tank heavily planted again keeping with the South American theme. Once the tank is cycled, I plan on a small school of cardinal tetras, a small school of black neon tetras, a small school of rummy nose tetras, a small school of corydoras Sterbai and some otoclinius. Once the tank is stable I plan on adding a pair of German Blue Rams.

I have had much success with discus in the past. In the future I will have them again.

I am a plumber by trade, so if anyone needs any plumbing advice feel free to ask.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:51 am

Welcome SA fish! wave  Very glad you found us. I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress of setting up your tank again. Make sure you send pics along too. Hope your move goes smoothly and you enjoy Richmond. Really a good place to live.
You've come to the right place on the CVAS Forum as we have tons of SA members here, as well as some pretty good stores that carry a great variety of SA's. Check out the threads on Area Fish Stores - Reviews.
We have a good bunch of folks here from Novice to Pro's who all love to share their knowledge as well as love to receive information also. (can never stop learning in this hobby) Hope you get a chance to make some meetings, as we would love the opportunity of meeting you as well. We meet the 3rd Sunday every other month. Next meeting will be January 19 so watch the threads for more details. Meetings and Forum are FREE, and we try to have a guest speaker, a social time, keep business to a minimum, and sometimes have swap meets, auctions and such.
Looking forward to hearing and sharing with you.
Ron

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:34 am

Welcome to VIRGINIA!!!... and Welcome to CVAS!

If you want to speed up your cycle, I have plenty of seasoned filter material (stand alone air pump driven sponges and hang on the back filter media) which I'd gladly share with you.

As Ron mentioned, plenty of great information and knowledge base here from some great people who are willing to share.

Like you I am also partial to SA's keeping several varieties of Apistogramma.

I look forward to reading (and seeing) about your 55 as you re-establish the set up.

DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:56 am

Welcome!
Sounds like you have a solid plan on setting up your tank. Take lots of picks and post them. I'm a South American fish fan myself and look forward to future posts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:38 am

Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Welcome! I like your stocking plan-post pictures when everything is up and running! I have a 40 gallon along similar lines: cardinal tetras, otos, cories (Sterbai and peppered) and GBRs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome, SA fish! Very Happy 
That set-up you have planned sounds great to me.  
There is a Quick Link at the top of the forum page which will take you to the Area Fish Stores section.  
For the ones closest to you check out the Central Virginia section first and go from there.
Hope to see you on here as you get things set up!

SA fish
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I have been reading the forum for a week or so and joined earlier today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

SA fish wrote:
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I have been reading the forum for a week or so and joined earlier today.
Thanks for joining us and welcome to the neighborhood. I'm still kinda new here myself. Lots of cool peeps here. Enjoy!!! Dance!

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:22 am

Hi!
Im a bit of a rummy nose tetra junky, it's a new fish addition to my tank and I LOVE them. So much better then any other small schooling fish. If you can get pictures of yours, then be sure to post them. Mine zip around my 50 gallon so quick, they are a blur.

I live in Richmond, off of I95. If your into south American fish, then check out skoolz of fish. It's a small Lfs, but the owner packs allot of fish into the store. he has allot of connections so he can order you something that he doesn't have in stock, I do know he gets rummy nose tetras in on a semi regular basis. The big box pet stores get them in rarely, but they seem to always be sickly.

Blue platy & Endler Breeder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SA fish
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:32 am

Rummy nose tetras need pristine water conditions. If their noses start looking a little less red, check water parameters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Im aware:agree: 

Blue platy & Endler Breeder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:43 am

Glad you are here in Richmond at last!  
SA fish wrote:
Unfortunately, I was moving from NY to Richmond that day, but now I am here! I will be at next meeting.

Welcome again, SA fish!  Hope the move went well.  Our next meet will be on March 16 at King George Tropicals in King George!  Click the link in the scrolling marquee for details or follow this link:
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t1359-march-madness-meeting-at-kg-tropicals  

If you want to carpool, just reply on the thread and we'll arrange it!  
Hope to meet you in person soon.  
Very Happy  

I'm from NY myself.  Where in NY are you from?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello   

Back to top Go down

Hello

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-