Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

What are you doing to your aquariums today?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: What are you doing to your aquariums today?   Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:33 am

I thought I'd ask this because today I am finally going to get to some much needed maintenance on my 55.  Between my dog getting so sick and the family all home for the last few weeks, I've sadly neglected this tank and a thick film of brown debris has settled on the bottom.  

So as I'm attacking this job, I wondered what all of you have been doing with your aquariums lately, like in the last few days?

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your aquariums today?   Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:01 am

It's funny you should ask this question now-my weekend project is changing the substrate in the 40 gallon from gravel to Eco-Complete. And then it's just the usual water changes for the 75 and 10. Hope your dog is feeling better!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your aquariums today?   Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:24 am

Moved a male peacock growout into the 75 just to see how the other male that was in the tank would react. He immediately started to color up more and started strutting his stuff. Nice color for a guy that is only 2.5".

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your aquariums today?   Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:28 am

Here's a better example. One is the young male showing color, the other intimidated...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ciscosdad
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your aquariums today?   Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi all! I'm just doing my normal water changes on the turtles and my 75. I am also sitting back and watching the turf wars as my new Apistogramma Borelli try to find there spots in the 75.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your aquariums today?   Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:56 pm

Great photos from Lane and interesting updates all around.  

I started my project above at 11:00 and ended at 4:00, but it's not over yet.  Most of the brown debris was due to the branches and wood shedding, and it's fairly harmless but it does stain the water more than I'd like.  A few plant leaves had turned yellow so I had to trim those up.  

Ryland wrote:
Hope your dog is feeling better!
My dog's raging intestinal ailment is "cured" but I'm keeping her on a special GI diet from now on. Very Happy

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your aquariums today?   Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Me....I'm chillin, having a cold beer sitting back and watching my fish. (Those of you that know Marty knows that's not true...lol). Had to move a refrigerator from her sisters and change out with ours. Then take a chair to her sisters and return the U-Haul trailer. SOOOO, Now I'm chillin, having that cold beer and watching my fish...but only until she catches me!

DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your aquariums today?   Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Water change, Water change, Water change. Got a little behind so doing water changes on all 31 tanks. Also moving fish around and redecorating while the water is low. Tomorrow, I will be moving fry to larger grow out tank. Would do it tonight but I get to babysit my grandson so fish will wait. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your aquariums today?   Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:47 pm

I saw this thread earlier but I have been so busy, I was unable to respond. Well, things are going great! I was able to reduce my stocking rate in my Angelfish Planted Show tank by half. This has helped cut my nitrate rate to around 10ppm which is on target. It was around 40ppm even with 3 large water changes a week.

I found what I think are some cool plants from WalMart. I had purchased some Amazon Sword before the holidays that have been doing well. Since the first of this new year I purchased some Echinodorus cordifolius and last week another Echinodorus called 'Red Flame. I'm not familiar with either of these plants so I guess it will be a waiting game to see the results.

I have noticed some mating behavior from a known pair and suspect another male and female are pairing off. I'm still growing out some juvies so life is grand!!!  Very Happy

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your aquariums today?   Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:02 am

The maintenance on the 55 is now done!  All wood/plant debris siphoned out, except for a small amount stirred into the Eco-complete.  Now all I need are a few more of those long, skinny crypts known as "balansae" to fill in across the back.  I still have several C. wendtii in the "plant nursery" waiting to be planted.  oh well   

Johnny wrote:
I found what I think are some cool plants from WalMart.

Those sound nice.  Plants at WalMart is news to me.  Where are they in the store?

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your aquariums today?   Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:19 pm

@Deb wrote:

Those sound nice.  Plants at WalMart is news to me.  Where are they in the store?

I'm a bargain shopper. There, I said it... lol Most Wal-Marts have a Pets section. They sell cat, dog, bird and fish foods and a limited number of supplies for each. That section is usually bordered by an outside wall. On that outside wall is a display of live fish and plants in tanks. It varies from store to store but usually it's about a 6 over 3 row of tanks display. Over the years I have developed a routine stroll past the tanks. I have made some amazing finds. I do use a high degree of caution. I visit there often enough to recognize new stock when it comes into the store. I only buy fresh stock...  Embarassed

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to your aquariums today?   

Back to top Go down

What are you doing to your aquariums today?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-