Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

New to the CVAS Forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
starwarz
CVASMember

PostSubject: New to the CVAS Forum   Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:35 am

I'm Josh from Staunton VA and I am still new to the hobby, only having a tank since Nov 2012.  I have 3 tanks, a 44g corner tank, a 10g at work and a 5g for my kids.  The 44g tank I purchased from Craigslist and in Oct of 2012 and had to redo all of the seals since one had a leak, and the rest I wanted to make sure wouldn't leak.

In the 44g my current stock consists of 5 Gold Line Rasbora, 5 Tiger barbs, 2 red eye tetras, 3 Buenos Aires tetras, 2 Kuhli loaches, 1 Roseline Shark, 1 Rainbow Shark, and 1 large common pleco.  About 3 months ago I had a heater malfunction the super heated the tank and killed all of the tiger barbs I had except one, 3 kuhli loaches and 3 red eye tetras.  So the Tiger Barbs, Buenos Aires are all pretty new to the tank.  I know the Tiger Barbs can be a little aggressive, but so far everyone in the tank seems to be getting along very well.  I did try to grow some plants in this tank but due to lack of light and CO2 I was unsuccessful, so for now fake plants will have to do.

In the 10g tank at work I have 1 Common Goldfish, 1 swordtail, and 1 albino pleco.  I inherited this tank from a co-worker when he left, and that was about a year ago.  When he gave me the tank is was in pretty bad shape, ammonia was off the chart and it was full of algae.  After lots and lots of water changes and some through cleaning of the gravel bed, this tank has come around to be in pretty well.  The goldfish is getting a little big for the tank, so in the spring another co-worker will be taking him to his mothers' Coy pond which should be a much better fit for him.

In the 5g tank I currently have 3 White Clouds and 1 Cherry Barb (female).  I did have a male Cherry barb but he died from Ick that he had from the pet store.

I would like to add some shrimp to the 2 smallest tanks, but I will wait a while before I do that.

[img][/img]

Last edited by starwarz on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New to the CVAS Forum   Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:55 am

Welcome, Josh!  
CVAS is the place for you and your three set-ups!  I'm sure your goldfish will enjoy going to the pond.  Good move.  ThumbsUp 
Heater malfunctions are an unexpected pain.  I had one last year, and it wiped out most of my mini-Asian catfish.  

If you want to try live plants sometime, you will be surprised to learn that you do NOT need supplemental CO2 to keep many nice varieties.  If you ever want to try live plants, post in Planted Tanks where several members will jump in to help you.

Welcome, again!

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: New to the CVAS Forum   Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:30 pm

The variety of plant and light bulbs you are using are important in having a planted tank.

I have a 55 gallon tank that gets zero sunlight, and some of the plants are hard to keep under control.

I have 2 48" lights, one of them a 6500K light and the other is a 48" colormax. My java ferns in particular are out of control. Also found that Crypto. Wendtii grows well along with anubias.

I have some java ferns that I can give away for free if you want to give them a try.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New to the CVAS Forum   Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Your corner tank looks great and I love the kuhli loaches. besotted

Cichlid Lover
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New to the CVAS Forum   Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:57 pm

Hey StarWarz. Your Pentagon tank look great! Where do you buy your fish in Staunton? I grew up there and have been in Richmond about 25 years. This a great group and you can learn a lot.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New to the CVAS Forum   Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Welcome Starwarz. Glad you jumped in. Your tank is looking good and hope you enjoy the Forum. Great bunch of folks here who love to hear stories about your setup and such, as well as folks who are willing to help you along.
Ron

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New to the CVAS Forum   Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:39 am

Welcome Starwarz! This one cool hobby. All of us have had our ups and downs with our tanks. It's all a part of it. I love the kuhli loaches. They are a favorite of mine. Enjoy!!!  ROFL! 

You have found people who share your passion for the hobby...  Hello

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the CVAS Forum   

Back to top Go down

New to the CVAS Forum

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-