Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Cataracts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rickwt01
CVASMember

PostSubject: Cataracts    Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:25 am

Hello boys and girls...New on this particular forum, but definitely not new to this hobby. Have had tanks off and on (mostly on..lol) for 30 years. Currently have a 65 long, community tank with gourami, 3 tetra species, silver dollars, assorted wags, a 2 bala sharks. Tank has been up and running without any issues for 2 years now. Water parameters always WNL (current: Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10, PH 6.9). I am religious about tank and filter maintenance, and do weekly water changes of 25%, with an occasional 50% if nitrates range up. My tank, like most, is overstocked, however is very well filtered and nitrates have never been allowed to exceed 20ppm. All fish are healthy and happy. I have a concern however, over one of my Bala's. He is a very nice specimen, about 1.5 years old, about 4 inches in length. His left eye appears to have a white spot in the center of his pupil..Is this a cataract. It does not appear to have an effect on his overall health and well being, as he swims, eats and socializes normally. Mostly I'm just curious. Started to notice this about 4 months ago....Any thoughts? Receives a typical diet of tropical flake and freeze dried bloodworms.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Cataracts    Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:42 am

Hi Rickwt01,
Happy you found us and so sorry to hear your Bala has an eye issue. If you have a hospital tank, it may be a good idea to separate from the Community and try some Melafix by API. I'm not aware of Cataract issues in fish but I guess possible. I would guess more a possible infection problem though and I would be cautious not to let spread to others.
We have some far more experienced members here that may have some additional info for you though.
Hope it clears up soon and your Bala is okay.
Ron

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cataracts    Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Hey Rickwt01!
Eye problems are something I have dealt  with over the years. My biggest problem has been eye damage in Angelfish.  There are diseases and parasites that can effect the eye. Sorry, but I'm not much help when it comes to meds and stuff like that. My eye damage problem was caused by the sharp edges of my live Blackworm  feeders. Now, I sand them off before using them to prevent eye damage. I have used Melafix with limited success to aid healing...
Good luck with your problem and welcome to the forum...  Hello

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Cataracts    Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi, rickwt.  Welcome to the CVAS forums!  

Here is my two cents.  If the spot has not changed in four months and only affects one eye, then it is more likely to be caused by trauma.  Maybe your bala banged into something, after being startled, or maybe it had a skirmish with another fish.  

In four months, if the entire eye is not cloudy then I would not think it was cataracts, although cataracts are certainly common especially in some families of fish.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Cataracts    Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:20 pm

Welcome, rickwt01, and I agree that it is likely trauma. I have had personal success using Melafix for this like this that I've noticed on my fish, not having a way to know whether it was an illness of the fish itself or external from trauma.

Like Deb, though, I think at this point it would have "declared itself" as an infection or other worrisome cause, and it may simply be a scar.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cataracts    

Back to top Go down

Cataracts

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-