Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Microscopy in the Tank - Spider Mite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Microscopy in the Tank - Spider Mite   Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 pm

I have been having a good time checking out samples of tank water under the microscope. The latest sample I took came from a quarter inch down in the substrate.

I found a handful of these guys which I have been able to loosely identify as being an aquatic spider mite. Didn't know if anyone here thought they are good or bad, but its fun to share anyway.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Microscopy in the Tank - Spider Mite   Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:32 am

Ok, how did you record that? It looks like too much fun!!!  tipsy

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Microscopy in the Tank - Spider Mite   Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:22 am

Oh, to have a microscope! I keep meaning to get one. This is awesome, David!

I think these are the types of critters that my eartheaters are after in the substrate.

View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Microscopy in the Tank - Spider Mite   Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:18 am

The word "expensive" is very subjective and depends on each person's situation.

That being said, I found a "digital microscope" deal that was inexpensive for christmas.

AM Scope.com sells student grade microscopes that come with specialized microscope cameras for under $200. I got one over the holidays this year and have been taking pictures and videos of all sorts of stuff, but the most fun has been checking out microorganisms in the fish tank.

the first sample I took was from the bottom of the filter, and there were tons of amoebas, rotifers, and other ciliates. The sample taken from the substrate had a less concentrated amount of microscopic critters, but had some different sepcies, this mite being one of them. I will continue to sample an post interesting findings Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Microscopy in the Tank - Spider Mite   Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:18 am

This is great. My whole family is geeky and it is kind of amazing how excited we all get with the notion of having a microscope, but I won't apologize! I am definitely going to look into getting one. We have a really cheap one for young children that hooks up to the computer, but it is poor quality and we'd all like something better. I know the girls will get a kick out of seeing what lives in my aquaria, so I'll check out AM Scope.com.

Another thing that Deborah and I have talked about many times is how nice it would be to have one to examine bumps, lumps or parasites that we've seen and/or removed on our fish, dead and alive. I think Deborah has even used one to examine potential sand substrate to be sure it isn't too sharp for catfish.

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Microscopy in the Tank - Spider Mite   Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:48 am

I'm loving this thread. I have enjoyed viewing through a microscope since I was a kid. I know I don't need the best scope out there but is this one worth looking into?

http://www.amscope.com/ubw500x0200m.html?gclid=CLu7xO-Q27wCFfM7OgodxkEAAw

Is there one from this site is worth buying for hobbyist use?

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Microscopy in the Tank - Spider Mite   Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Yeesh David, I don't think I can reach in my tanks anymore. Not even too sure I can sleep now knowing these things are in my home...lol Great post and pics. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your posts.
THANKS

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Microscopy in the Tank - Spider Mite   Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:46 am

Great video, David! I like the idea of the specialized microscope camera. Can you explain how that works? Is it attached to the scope?

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Microscopy in the Tank - Spider Mite   Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:54 am

I will post another thread in the tools section for a microscope 101 type thing.
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t1399-microscope-101#12318

To answer the question about camera, it is a miniature camera that plugs into USB and is interchangeable with your regular eye piece lenses.

My microscope came with two lenses, a wide field (WF) x10 and WF x25. The eyepiece slides out and the camera fits into the eye piece slot. Then you plug it into your PC. the Camera comes with software that allows you to record video and capture images real time.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microscopy in the Tank - Spider Mite   

Back to top Go down

Microscopy in the Tank - Spider Mite

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-