Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ziurcs - steve
CVASMember

PostSubject: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:32 am

2014-02-26

I just found this forum yesterday and am very excited to meet aquarium enthusiasts closer to home. I currently live in Palmyra VA (close to Charlottsville)

I had moved down to Virginia three years ago from NY where I had several aquariums with plants, south american, asian and african cichlid biotopes.  I sold everything in the move and have started fresh down in VA.

I have 4 aquariums today: 125, 90, 45 and a 20h

The 45 gal is an asian themed tank with gold barbs, weather loaches, a paradise fish and an angel ( the only reason the angel is in there he won't get along with the other angel I have anymore) -- I wanted to make it sub-tropical

In the 90 gal planted south american themed tank are tetras, coreys, guppies, a pleco, some german blue ramsand my other angel.  

In the extra 20 gallon I have some guppies right now. And some anubis.

I had a bad black beard algae issue and have been trying several things to get rid if it.  Last tried hydrogen peroxide and it killed the algae but also the anubis too.

My current project is a 125 gallon (craigslist special) that I hope to house African Cichlids -- either  Mbuna or Peacocks.  I purchased rocks from Universal Rocks and will wait to get them in to see how the hardscape goes before picking the type of cichlids.

There is so much more information out there on the internet today than when I started with africans back in the 80's.

I am happy to see that the next meeting is at KGTropicals as I hope to use them to stock my new 125 so I will be attending the meeting in March.  I watch all of John and Lisa's videos and am excited to visit the store.

I do have a youtube channel and most of my logins are related to ziurcs for gmail, Facebook, twitter.
 That is scruiz backwards - which was my old handle but it was taken on the other sites so I just put it backwards and seems to work everywhere.

Old picture of my 45 gallon cube tank with the angels in there when they were getting along.

http://youtu.be/LpjHSANpAU0

This is my 90 gallon with my new LED light (which I have since taken off to use on the 125) replaced with my T5 craigslist purchase.

http://youtu.be/JmfHSboL0S0

This is an older picture of my 90 gal but before it was changed into south american

http://youtu.be/2V6dVcwEvM0

I am not sure how to insert a picture here but I do have some.

I will be reviewing all the posts in this forum and look to meet all of you either in person or virtually!

Thanks,

Steve Ruiz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:05 am

Wow!  That is a great introduction.  Very Happy  Welcome to the forum, Steve!  
I'm from NY myself, but have been in VA for a while.  

Nice tanks, and your plans for the 125 sound like something a lot of folks on here would be interested in.  The pic of the 90 gallon looks great!  They way you've got the wood structured across the tank and that pile of stones in the corner looks just right to me.  Can't wait to see the new pix of this one.

How to post a pic?  Follow the tutorial in our Photography and Videos forum, here:  
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t60-how-to-post-a-picture
(This is also linked in the sidebar under "More CVAS Inside.")
The method is a little weird at first until you get used to it but then it's smooth sailing.  Just ask if you get stuck.  

Another way to post a pic is to copy the image link (url) of your photo from an online image host, such as Photobucket, Flickr, or whatever online source you are getting the photo from.  Remember to add the image tags if the host has not done it for you.  

It's great to have you with us and I look forward to meeting you at KGtTropicals in March!

Deb

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:35 am

Welcome, Steve! I'm so glad you found us. You've got some great setups, and I've subscribed to your YoutTube channel - I look forward to meeting you in March!

View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:59 pm

Welcome Steve. Agreed great Intro. Sure looking forward to meeting you at the meeting, and very happy you found our Forum. Looks like we are lucky to have you with all of your experience, I'm sure I will learn a lot from you.
Ron

ziurcs - steve
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:08 pm

Picture downloads -- have tried a couple of things -- I am running MAC OSX so the download would not work.

I never get the browse button.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:20 pm

Welcome Steve! You have found the right bunch of  aquarium enthusiasts...  Hello

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:37 pm

Hey Steve - welcome to CVAS, enjoyed the videos of your tanks.

Is the 125 a 6 foot length?

I can not install images on the forum through my ipad, not sure if it's an Apple issue or not, but I have no problem adding images on my windows pc.

Look forward to reading your posts and learning more about your fishes!!!

ziurcs - steve
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:22 am

It maybe an apple issue as the program to run is a windows .exe file.
Yes the 125 is 72x18x22

I will find other ways to get pic here. I have a shutter fly account and can post them here once I get the url

I uploaded two videos of my current tanks here:
45 gal ---> http://youtu.be/8azRloJ9vbo
90 gal ---> http://youtu.be/rbscE1FXiyk

I am still learning about all the editing features in iMovie and youtube but the videos are not long.

Thanks to everyone for a warm welcome!!

125 G African Cichlid (planning phase)
90 G South American theme
45 G Asian theme
"It's a fish eat fish world -- dogs don't eat each other!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ziurcs - steve
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:37 am

I was able to create a shutter fly website with pictures.

The Mbuna pics are from my old 90 gal up in NY -- not current.

I will add pics of the 125 gal soon.

https://ziurcs.shutterfly.com

Thanks,

Steve

125 G African Cichlid (planning phase)
90 G South American theme
45 G Asian theme
"It's a fish eat fish world -- dogs don't eat each other!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:58 am

@ziurcs - steve wrote:
Picture downloads -- have tried a couple of things -- I am running MAC OSX so the download would not work.

I never get the browse button.

Out of curiosity, I am looking into this with the technical support people and will report here what they tell me.  

The two videos are nice!  I love the 90 gallon - that piece of wood is charming, with all the plants.  A view of the bottom would be nice, too, if you can do that sometime; I'd like to see what the catfish see. Wink

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:53 pm

@ziurcs - steve wrote:
Yes the 125 is 72x18x22

I love the 6' 125's they make great Hap Peacock Setup's Wink

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Issue with my ziurcs username so my new username is scruiz   Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi all;

Deb helped me with an issue with my username and I had to re-register as scruiz which is ziurcs backwards.

So fyi -- I have a new username scruiz -- still Steve

Thanks,

Stephen
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:27 pm

Yay! You made it back! I have no idea what was up with that, but I'm glad you got it straight, and I'm sure Deborah can link your prior posts to your new username.

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Deb works hard to keep us together. I'm glad you are back. Please keep on posting!!!  Hello

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:30 pm

@Liz wrote:
... I'm sure Deborah can link your prior posts to your new username.
No need since they are all here in this one post!
Starting from scratch worked out well.  ThumbsUp 
Welcome again, Steve.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers   

Back to top Go down

Hello fellow fish geeks and aquarium lovers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-