Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Newbies in Locust Grove

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
surfersrevolution
CVASMember

PostSubject: Newbies in Locust Grove   Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:22 pm

Hello all :)My name is Sarah and I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to the world of Fish.

My boyfriend and I received a crash-course introduction to the hobby when a friend of ours discovered a 120 gallon mbuna tank inside a house that was scheduled for demolition! I had kept fish several years ago, but never seriously and never anything crazier than some neon tetras and a beta. I had no idea what we were in for, but we had to try- after we saw the tank and its inhabitants for ourselves we knew we had to save them from the bulldozers.

It took two nights and two long trips after work out to Keswick where the demo property was located, but we got the tank and all the fish to their new home safe and in one piece. Armed only with Google and some very basic fish knowledge, we got the tank set-up and running. Luckily cichlids are pretty tough fish and they survived the move and all our rookie mistakes and tank cycling.

Since the early days we've expanded our tank collection, learning both about cichlids and the hobby as we go along. So far we've got a 20 gallon nursery tank, a 10 gallon hospital, a 5 gallon that's got a few tetras in it, and two 30 gallons- one that has all my Rusty cichlids in it since they were taking over my main tank and the other that's got a rescued Oscar in there who's just waiting on a bigger home.

This is the 120 gallon (with some inhabitants waiting for me to feed them lol):

I look forward to talking more with you guys and becoming a part of your community. Smile

~ Sarah M.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Newbies in Locust Grove   Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Hi Sarah - WELCOME to Central Virginia Aquarium Society!

There are a great group of fish keepers here with a large and wonderful variety of species being kept.

Your tank looks great!.. and we can all relate that it doesn't take long to go from one tank to multiple tanks in a hurry - you are going to fit right in....  Very Happy 

Also we are neighbors, I live close to Locust Grove in Spotsylvania.

There is a fish keeper (Loc Nguyen) in Lake of the Woods who is moving overseas and is shutting down his tanks.

He had a large group of young Africans for sale - there is probably 15 or so, but some of the species is not certain. There are a few Haps, some OB type Peacocks and what appeared to be milder Mbuna. He was only asking $25.00 for the entire group.

He has some young flower horns for like $10 each - REALLY nice fish.

Nice tanks for sale too and he takes great care of his stuff.

I just don't have anymore tank space or I would have purchased everything!

If you are interested in adding some fish, he is close by you and the price is fantastic.

Here is the Craigslist ad: if he doesn't respond via the clist e-mail let me know and I will PM you his number.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/4348629437.html

Again, welcome to the forum we are glad you found us.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Newbies in Locust Grove   Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi, Sarah Very Happy  Welcome to CVAS and the community.  You are fitting in very well already.  

Your aquarium looks very nice and I look forward to more pix of your set-ups and more about your experiences in the hobby.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Newbies in Locust Grove   Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Wow! What a story and what an amazing find. I know I'm not the only jealous one here - I wish the tank fairy would drop an awesome large setup in my lap sometime! I'm so glad you were in a position to take it on.

We look forward to seeing more pics and learning more about your setups. You are obviously a quick learner and dedicated to doing things right. Nice job! ThumbsUp 

View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Newbies in Locust Grove   Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:01 pm

Welcome Sarah. Sure gglad you found us. Great introduction and wow what a find on tne 120 and Mbuna. They are beautiful fish. Hope you enjoy the Forum.

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Newbies in Locust Grove   Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:56 am

Welcome to the forum.....and thanks for rescuing that setup and those fish Smile

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
surfersrevolution
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Newbies in Locust Grove   Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)Also thanks for the heads up on the cheap cichlids in Locust Grove, I will be replying to that craigslist add and see what happens. Hard to say no when they are so close!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Newbies in Locust Grove   Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:18 pm

Hey Sarah, welcome to CVAS and the forum. There are  lot of nice people here. Nice looking tank!!!  Hello

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbies in Locust Grove   

Back to top Go down

Newbies in Locust Grove

View previous topic View next topic Back to top