Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

New lighting for the 55.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: New lighting for the 55.    Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:21 pm

Well, it's been a while since I posted about this tank.  All has been running smoothly and not much new to say.  For the last couple of months, though, the plants in this tank have not been growing.  They are green and healthy, but not growing and not spreading.  

The tank is lit with only one single strip T-8, 17 W lamp.  So Liz and I had a conference and she suggested I take the Coralife 65 W fixture off my 75 gallon tank and put it on the 55.  
Now the whole tank is lit up:

I hope to see an improvement in the plants!

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New lighting for the 55.    Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Looking good! I'm very interested to see how the plants respond.

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New lighting for the 55.    Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Me too!  I particularly hope that the Crypt balansae revive.  There are three at intervals across the back which can be seen in the older photos.  Now you can hardly see them at all. Crying or Very sad

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New lighting for the 55.    Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:06 pm

@Deb wrote:
Well, it's been a while since I posted about this tank.  All has been running smoothly and not much new to say.  For the last couple of months, though, the plants in this tank have not been growing.  They are green and healthy, but not growing and not spreading.  

The tank is lit with only one single strip T-8, 17 W lamp.  So Liz and I had a conference and she suggested I take the Coralife 65 W fixture off my 75 gallon tank and put it on the 55.  
Now the whole tank is lit up: I hope to see an improvement in the plants!  

I love what Liz does with plants. You ask the right person...  Wink

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New lighting for the 55.    Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:21 pm

@JohnnyAMH wrote:
I love what Liz does with plants. You ask the right person...  Wink

She's steering me in the right direction.  Very Happy  

I have a concern that a sudden upgrade from 17 watts to 65 watts will cause some algae to sprout.  This is because I'm convinced through experience that electric lights "cause" algae.  The only tanks of mine that have ever had what we would call "nuisance" algae have been those with a light shining down into it.  One can argue that there must be other factors, too, but what?

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New lighting for the 55.    Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:43 pm

Without the 'lectric lights you have a little excess in nutrients, so all it takes is more light and the algae can grow. Without the extra light, it cannot. That's just my theory! You've got kind of a perfect setup in your fish room, with the skylights providing just enough ambient light, but not too much. It is truly ideal for the plants you have chosen, which flourish under those conditions. The more demanding stem plants will appreciate more light, and the trick will be to encourage them to avail themselves to the light and nutrients before the algae does.

I don't know for certain, though, of course! This is the stuff I make up in my head. What TRULY goes on at a scientific level is still a mystery to me.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New lighting for the 55.    

Back to top Go down

New lighting for the 55.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-