Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Algae discussion.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Algae discussion.   Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Nuisance algae.

I get it too. I currently blame the high phosphate in my tap water (which I suspect is very much like yours, Ron), and I'm hoping this level fluctuates with the seasons. Since I do such large and regular PWCs it can actually work against me.

I've tried phosphate removing resins and such, which work, but I don't follow up and change them out like they need. The way my schedule is currently I need my tanks to basically run on autopilot!

I'm sure if I injected CO2 I could boost the plant growth quite a bit and solve the problem, encouraging the plants to suck up the phosphate. I have everything I need, sitting there waiting on me!

View user profile

AuthorMessage
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:15 pm

@Ron wrote:
@Liz wrote:
Ron, it sounds like you're doing it right! Pictures, pictures, pictures! I'm going to try this myself. However, I do have a very large CO2 tank, controller and pH monitor sitting under the 150 as we speak.......

Here's some pics after day 3. If you look closely you can see the red/brown starting. Hoping this is the beginning of the end.

Ron that is some nasty looking stuff. I have never had that problem and hope I never do. I have seen it before but odd enough, it was in a pet store tank...  Rolling Eyes 

Hopefully, I'll be ready if it ever invades my tanks...  oh well

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:42 am

Not wishing this bloom on anyone. When I first saw it develop I thought "okay not bad and let's see if clears up on it's own". WRONG! I started doing more frequent water changes. WRONG! I used Flourish, double dosing (not realizing supposed to be Flourish Excel). WRONG! Saw in the aquarium some BB Algae that someone gave me some plants from. Did not see any BB Algae on the plants I received and thought should be okay since I have not truly had an algae issue in the past. WRONG!
Anyway I did just about everything your not supposed to do. Even tried changing lighting. WRONG!
Today is day 4 but I have not had time due to work to see if any progress today. I will report more tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks for all the interest and help though CVAS.
Ron

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:13 pm

Day5. No visible change. Some of what I saw in red/brown beginning not as apparent today. Gave another double dose and hoping to see some changes for the better in a few days. No changes in fish, plants appear to be a bit healthier. I'm thinking of trying a speedier method I just read about this AM. I read you can try 25% Excel to 75% water and dipping infected plants in solution for 15 minutes...  Rambo  Rinse off and replace back in tank. I may try if I don't see a visible change in next day or so.

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:16 pm

wow, that is some crazy algae! let us know what works!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Day 6. I tried to get some pics today but did not turn out well. I can see a change in color of the BB Algae on my Val. Has a white/gray appearance and while not certain there does not seem to be as much on them. The large Anubia still has a lot of Algae but some slight red/brown and maybe even some white gray but I don't see a sign of a decrease yet. I did try to see if I could pull some off and still very stuck on although some small amounts did break off this time. In the past none came off at all. Gave another double dose this AM to continue the process. Hope this is going to work. Not too excited about removing plants, treating, and trying to replace.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:08 pm

The strands themselves may be weakening, but the part that is attached to he plant is vigorous and does not detach easily, if at all. You need to get your fingernail under it and gently pry it away. Try this on a leaf that is very compromised so that if it goes wrong and the leaf tears you will not be worse off.

Even with Excel or some other treatment, the best way to get the BBA out is to remove the most compromised leaves, improve tank conditions in favor of plants, and continue to use the Excel, if you think it's helping. If you see BBA growing on a hard surface, such as on the intake tube, just let it be. In the past, in my 20H, I found that if the BBA was allowed to grow on equipment and on one piece of wood, it did not spread to the leaves of plants. This remained true for years, until I took that tank down.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:43 pm

I've noticed that too. I think Audouinella (BBA) is quite pretty on wood and rocks, as long as it doesn't overwhelm my plants.

@Deb wrote:
 If you see BBA growing on a hard surface, such as on the intake tube, just let it be.  In the past, in my 20H, I found that if the BBA was allowed to grow on equipment and on one piece of wood, it did not spread to the leaves of plants.  This remained true for years, until I took that tank down.  
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:43 pm

@gerald wrote:
I've noticed that too.  I think Audouinella (BBA) is quite pretty on wood and rocks, as long as it doesn't overwhelm my plants.

Me too. I have some growing on a rock in my goldfish tank for several years, making the rock look mossy and "hairy," kind of attractive, but it doesn't grow anywhere else, and seems content to remain there, so I let it, lol. I don't have live plans in that tank but if it started growing on other things I might try to eradicate it.

View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Day 7. BIG change. BB Algae has begun to fall off of Val and my Anubia. Some of the Val though is showing signs of melting (guess that's what it's called). I read could possibly happen to Vals. Not to worried about it as most of the Val looking pretty good and I will trim off some of the damaged leaves. All other plants seem to be looking a lot healthier. Guess I will continue the double dose of Excel routine as appears may be getting some headway.
Here's a before and after shot.
7 days ago

Day 7. Still some nasty stuff, but Excel definitely working.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:42 pm

Day 8. Almost gone from all plants and big reduction on the Anubia (May be a peace lily). Still some stubborn BBA on the the Anubia but everyday now getting less and less remaining. Had to do a water change today which concerned me a little as sometimes promotes BBA growth but I have gone 9 or 10 days without doing one and I had to think of the fish. Time for their baths...
I'll wait and add more Excell tomorrow and keep up the routine to see if I can totally eradicate the BBA. Looks like on a good path so far.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:15 pm

Day 13. Almost gone!! Still a little stubbornness going on in the background but almost completely gone everywhere else. I did have to trim up some of the Val that I think between the seriously attached BBA and overdosing Excel caused some to melt a bit. Trimmed off and they seem to be doing great. So far I have not had to do any scrubbing or scraping. I did cut back slightly on the dosage and still seems to be doing the job. So far I am HIGHLY recommending.
Here's a couple more pics of the progress.

neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:04 pm

I just reread the thread again and was wondering what kind of plants and setup you guys are using. I'm guessing since you are using low light plants they can't out compete the algae and has more growth then plants. You could try fast growing plants to see if it helps. I'm not of an expert on planted tanks but I know the benefit of C02 in your system. I have used flourish products for my low tech setup and was impressed with the plant growth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:18 pm

You're absolutely right. Fast-growing plants are excellent at utilizing nutrients, and anubias and the javas (fern/moss) are never going to be considered fast growing.

Unfortunately, I can't use fast-growing plants in my 150, because the geophagus will uproot anything in the sand (ANYTHING, lol) and I'm kind of stuck in that regard, but floating plants, like hornwort, for instance, get chewed up by the angels.

In my 125, which has loaches that can also uproot plants, I have not found that to be the case, YET, since the loaches are still pretty small and stick to their hidey holes much of the time, and I have very little issues with algae in that tank.

I do think CO2 will help even low light and slower growing plants, and it is a worthwhile experiment, as you've found.

View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:29 pm

@neogeo20041 wrote:
I just reread the thread again and was wondering what kind of plants and setup you guys are using.  I'm guessing since you are using low light plants they can't out compete the algae and has more growth then plants. You could try fast growing plants to see if it helps. I'm not of an expert on planted tanks but I know the benefit of C02 in your system. I have used flourish products for my low tech setup and was impressed with the plant growth.

In my case I have a few varieties of Crypts, Wenditi, Jungle Val, Hygrophilia, and not sure if it's an Anubia or a Peace Lily (given to me and previous owner was not sure either). Plants are a combination of low to moderate light. Val and the Hygrophilia IMO are moderate to high light but seem to be thriving quite well in my moderate lighting. I'm running NO T-5 with 2 6500K and 2 10000K bulbs about 10 hrs. per day. No other Algae issue, and truly I think the BBA was because a plant had it on it when given to me. I do think you may be right about the CO2 issue and all plants are doing really well since I began the Excel routine. Today being day 14 the BBA is again showing to be disappearing. Due to some melt going on with some Val I am slowing the dosage a bit but the BBA is still declining.
I thought I was going to have to remove plants, scrub or scrape them but the Excel is actually causing the BBA to drop off. As it weakens and shrinks and soften the Pleco's, Amano Shrimp, and Oto's are eating some of it too. Looks like I'm about to whip it..."knock on wood"
I like you have heard fast growing plants do help, as does adding a lot of plants. When I get eradicated I do plan on adding more and even looking in to making a CO2 source. Need to find an inexpensive diffuser or maybe make one also. In the meantime I will continue with the Excel as sure made a believer out of me. Good Stuff!

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:12 pm

I'm going to loan you my CO2 reactor (plastic jar with lid, lol) and the ladder diffuser that you suction-cup inside the tank. The CO2 bubble is released at the bottom of this diagonally-constructed ladder, so the bubble rolls upward, back and forth, dissipating into the tank as it goes, so nothing is left at the top, in theory. I used this setup on my natural aquariums when I had no filters running.

You could also diffuse your CO2 through the filter by shoving the end of the air hose coming out of the top of the reactor into the intake of your filter. I KNOW, I KNOW, internet rumor insists that this will destroy your filter, but I have not seen that happen with mine.

You can also buy a tube with a Rio pump on top (as in my thread here) that will dissipate the CO2 by force. Get a plastic netting pot scrubber (clean, of course!) and shove it into the bottom of the tube so the bubbles will bounce around a lot, or do the same with an AquaClear sponge cut to fit.

You could make one of those yourself using the rigid tube of a gravel cleaning siphon, getting the right size so the flange fitting on the top of the rigid section accepts a Rio pump, but that's for another thread!

View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Thanks Liz. Appreciate the help. This is all new to me.
Ron

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:45 pm

Glad you got a handle on that ole' black beard Ron... and appreciate you sharing your experiences through this thread.

I have little starting to form on some Bolbitis, so looks like I'll give the Excel a try.

enrgizerbunny
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:51 pm

I've heard of spot treating algae with hydrogen peroxide+syringe. You turn off the filter (of course) and then squirt the peroxide on the algae in the water, apparently it doesn't take much. The peroxide quickly decays into water and oxygen gas and in 10-20 minutes you can turn the filter back on safely without risking your biofilter.

I have some BBA that I might try this on, but it's not enough to be a problem yet. I also have a nice crop of green spot algae growing for the first time with my lighting upgrade. I went from 2 18" T8s to two 48" T8s with a glass top. My gourami and the pleco could really use something to snack on. Even the rainbow shark takes a bite now and then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:04 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Algae discussion.   

Back to top Go down

Algae discussion.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top