Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

New Member Introduction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: New Member Introduction   Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Hello everyone.  I joined based on the suggestion of a current member through a youtube video I had posted.

I am getting back into the hobby after a 15 year absence.  Three kids, a job relocation from GA., etc. limited my time so that I felt I would not give the proper time and care for the fish. I decided to get back in when I saw my former 29g SW tank stored away in the garage and started thinking back to when it was up.  I knew that to really keep a good SW, I would have to invest alot of money, and with two kids in college, that couldn't happen.  I had seen African cichlids and really liked the colors and personality so I decided to go that route.  Even back 15 years ago, I had always wanted a bigger tank so I looked on craigslist and found a 125g about 2 miles from my house.  The guy was great, actually delivered it and help get it set up.  I started out with a few small mbunas and a couple of OB peacocks from my LFS, Pet Aquatic Warehouse (PAW)) in Lynchburg.  CJ and most of the other staff are very knowledge and great to deal with.  I just got back from there tonight.

Since I tend to dive in full throttle, I started watching youtube.  It's amazing how much information (mostly good, some bad) that's out there now compared to just a few short years ago.  I came across John and Lisa's channel, KGTropicals, and spent hours watching his videos and several others.  To make a long story a little shorter, my wife and I made the trip there this Saturday.  John is awesome as well as Lisa.  She made the trip enjoyable for my wife.  (which is always a big plus!)  I came away with some beautiful fish and a much lighter wallet :-).  I made a brief youtube video about it (my first).  I hopefully will make a brief follow-up actually showing the fish released.  Sorry to go on so long, but I really look forward to being a member.  I hope I have attached the picture and youtube link correctly.

Thanks,
Nick

125 Gallon Tank

Video Link
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:26 pm

I'm so glad you found us! Your 125 looks sweet, and I know from experience the deals that can be had on Craig's List. I've never had anyone come help deliver and set it up, though - that's above and beyond!

I love PAW, and have made the trip quite a few times with Deb. We had a club trip planned last month but bad weather and illness canceled it - we'll be going again in the spring for sure.

I'm glad you found John and Lisa - they're great folks and we've got our next meeting set up at their shop on the 16th. I hope you can make it!

I look forward to meeting you sometime and also to seeing how your setup evolves.  Very Happy 

View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:32 pm

I just joined the forum myself Smile. So far I'm loving the people on the forum so much too read and so little time....enjoy your stay Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Welcome Nick! What a great find on your 125 qnd I enjoyed your vid and pic. Make sure you sen d more as things progress. KgTropicals is a great store and better folks and also a good find for you. Sure glad you found us and I'm looking forward to meeting you soon. Hope you can make our meetings soon.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Hey Nick -

Excellent introduction!

I loved your video and hope you will do additional video as you change your set up.

125's are awesome and they make for a GREAT African tank.

You really did lighten your wallet at KGT - a box full of fish - YES!

I am interested in learning your thoughts on Extreme as you see how your fish respond, I've read some good things about Extreme.

In my experiences Flavescent Peacocks are on the more mild and timid side, so I would suggest plenty of hiding places and shelter hideouts. When the males color up, they are stunners.

Couldn't agree with you more concerning KGTropicals - great people!

Look forward to hearing more about your 125 - again warm welcomes!

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:05 pm

Welcome, Nick! That's a great looking 125. What kind of lighting are you using?

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Just high output T5 for daytime, blue LED night lights

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:01 am

Hey Nick,
Welcome and thanks for joining us...  Very Happy 

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:23 am

I have a couple of questions dealing with possible nitrates in well water, and some type of growth on driftwood in a 29gal tank being cycled without fish. What would be the appropriate forums to post? I've looked at them but not sure which is the best place.

Thanks,
Nick

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:50 am

You could use General Freshwater or Tank Setups - either one would be fine.

Love your avatar!

View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Welcome Nick   Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:41 am

Welcome and that is a great looking tank you have.  I have found some articles on hardscaping an African Cichlid tank
-->  http://fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/set-up-and-aquascape-a-cichlid-habitat

There are other articles also on that site.  I am also excited about setting up my 125 gal tank with african cichlids some time soon and hope to visit KG tropicals.

I kept african cichlid mbuna before and one thing that always worried me was the rocks and the glass meeting.  I had some close calls. This time I am using Universal rocks products for the background and hardscape.  John has a video on his 220 about his background and the rocks he received from them.

If you would post a fish list at some point it may be helpful for me.

Posting on youtube is a great way to get feedback. Good job on your video and look forward to seeing the progress on your 125 and 29 gal tanks.

Great to have you as part of this group!

Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
surfersrevolution
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Welcome to the forum! I keep African Cichlids as well, and I love your setup you've got going there. Smile

By the way I've been using the Extreme foods from KGTropicals for a couple months now and my guys Love it. I've noticed heightened colors and my males even gained a few extra egg spots after I started using it.

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:45 am

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I've posted a fish list in the Members section. I have also posted in the Tank Setups forum (thanks Liz for the suggestion) about a couple of issues I have. I had started the initial mbunas on NLS small cichid pellets (LFS recommendation) and they seemed to like the pellets. The Extreme is also taken, especially by the new fish from KGTropicals and the others seem to like it too.

The avatar was from a picture taken leaving my house one day with a cell phone. It's amazing how far technology has come just in the last 10 years.

Once again, thanks everyone.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:09 am

@Nick_B wrote:

The avatar was from a picture taken leaving my house one day with a cell phone.  It's amazing how far technology has come just in the last 10 years.

There's technology, but seeing that view when you leave your house is awesome!

View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:52 am

If anyone is interested about RO units on a large scale and RO technology, check out http://www.pureflowinc.com/media/pdfs/PFI-Newsletter5-1403.pdf . One of my recent projects involved installing a recovery RO unit that took the "waste/concentrate" stream from our main ROs, cleaned it up, and returned that water to our incoming water tanks. The above newsletter is from the company that made the recovery unit. While I can't give details/specifics about our main units I can say the recovery system could fill up my 125g tank in less than two minutes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:27 am

Awesome Nick. I am so Jealous you got to go to KG. I am at PAWS every other Monday lol. I know the nice girl who works the freshwater room is like "Not you again" lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member Introduction   

Back to top Go down

New Member Introduction

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-