Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:56 pm

If you had a planted 75 gallon with a group of Turquoise Rainbows, what else would you add?

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:41 pm

Hmmm. Cories on the bottom, or maybe some cute Bolivian rams. Keyholes, festivum, there are a lot of options. Those rainbows should get along well with everyone.

View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:41 am

Rainbow really are get community fish. They are good sized, but their mouths aren't too big and they aren't very predatory.

If you go the planted route, cories, a couple plecos and some dwarf or even bigger mellow cichlids would be a good combination.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:42 am

Sounds like a pretty tank! And a good size for that size rainbowfish.

If this were my set-up, I'd go for more of a theme and I would not have corys.  Instead, freshwater gobies on the bottom, and some reliable community fish from the same general area as PNG.  Another rainbowfish, like the smaller Melanotaenia praecox, would look nice.  If there are other aquarium species from Lake Kutubu, you might look into those.  You can probably choose from all of Indonesia.  

Here is why I suggest going this route.  There is a certain energy - almost a frenetic, tense, energy - evident in fish from that part of the world.  They are bold, on the go, and defensive.  I've had a chance to observe this in my 55.  Many of the common South American fish we see in the hobby, like corys, don't have this energy and will not "like" being in a tank with so much of it.  Frankly, I think corys in particular would be challenged in a tank of rainbowfish.  

You are free to ignore me, Tracey.  Very Happy   I just have a thing about keeping fish from certain parts of the world together.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:47 am

Deb is absolutely right about the energy. Rainbows are very active, and will be enjoyable to watch. The other thing they do is act as dithers for larger fish (like the mellow cichlids Verbal and I recommended) and let them know it is safe to come out and swim around. I used rainbows in a calvus tank to encourage the secretive cichlids to come out more, and it worked beautifully.

It is worthwhile to consider that the energy of the rainbows may overwhelm other species, so I'd listen to her on this topic!

View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:15 am

Deb, Deb, Deb, Deb, Deb...

NEVER would I ignore your posts, in fact I pay very careful attention to your posts and read them twice!!! Smile

That's why I posted, to secure suggestions and I love the feedback so far.

I have noticed that you do stock your tanks by geographical theme and I really like that approach.

This morning I did some research on Goby's.... and my initial research seems to indicate the species from Lake Kutubu are limited - but I plan to study more about this Lake - maybe others can assist.

I'm also going to spend some time on the Papua New Guinea area and see what's available - should be fun!!!

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Tracey;

I was thinking about some Dwarf Rainbows in a 55 gal tank. How did your setup go?

Any pictures?

I have albino corys and I think they may be better with rainbows.

Deb is an authority for sure.

Thanks,

Steve R.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:21 pm

Hello Steve -

I ended up adding a group of 11 Brochis splendens to the tank.

The tank is fairly well planted with plenty of cover.

The Brochis seem to work well and regularly come out and swim around the tank with the bows.

It could be the size of the group and the fact there is significant cover, those factors always seem important to me.

I also keep a couple Kuhli Loaches in this tank and I have a little bristle nose Juvi that's growing up quick!

The 75 gallon is such a great size, I really enjoy this tank - its one of my favorites....

" />

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Tracy;

Great information -- and pictures.

I have more questions now.

What is the substrate? I love it and my Albino Corys would look great in it.

What lights are you using to keep such growth? Love the anubis bloom!

The tank looks like it is in great balance. Any fertilizers?

The crypts - are they spreading or did you plant them all?

Thanks,

Steve R

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:35 pm

I love planted tanks and yours is exceptional... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   Tue May 17, 2016 8:52 pm

@scruiz wrote:
Tracy;

Great information -- and pictures.

I have more questions now.  

What is the substrate?  I love it and my Albino Corys would look great in it.

What lights are you using to keep such growth?  Love the anubis bloom!

The tank looks like it is in great balance.  Any fertilizers?

The crypts - are they spreading or did you plant them all?

Thanks,

Steve R

Steve - please accept my apology for the delayed response.....

I purchased the tank used several years ago and it came with the substrate, as I recall (it's been a long time ago) the substrate is "grated" Seachem Fluorite - what they did was grated the bags and only used the really fine content. It is the consistency of and looks like dirt (very fine). I'm surprised you picked up on the substrate, great eye man! I'm sure they purchased quite a few bags to cover the tank..... It is a really wonderful substrate for the Cories especially.

The lights: they are old 34 watt T-12's, 4 of them set up in a shop light fixture. The absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of modern technology.... they shouldn't be growing anything but maybe algae:)

The crypts have spread on their own.

In terms of fertz, I use root tabs about three times a year. I also make my own Seachem Flourish (from dry fertilizers) and I dose with that like every other water change. The plants seem to do better with a break. But the flourish does make a difference, especially on the plants with above substrate roots - the roots just gobble it up......

By far the biggest factor I see with this tank, believe it or not, is water changes..... When I change the water the plants take off and they'll shoot 2-4 "Pulpits" up within a few days. I have never seen a tank/plants respond to water changes like this set up....

Thanks for the interest, how are things progressing for you - did you get Rainbows?

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   Tue May 17, 2016 9:50 pm

Tracey;

No worries aquariums require patience.   I can't seem to get my crypts to spread. I was doing water changes weekly but have changed to every other week now in my 90 gal tank.      I love your anubis and it is great when it flowers.  I have not gotten any rainbows yet.  I am still in the planning phase.  I was thinking of a school of dwarf rainbows with the albino corys in a substrate like you have would be great.  

Thanks for the information.

Steve R

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish   

Back to top Go down

75 Gallon - Rainbow Fish

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-