Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Bob from PVAS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sonny Disposition
CVASMember

PostSubject: Bob from PVAS   Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi, folks. I'm Bob from the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society. I'm a member of all the DC area clubs, and wanted to sign on to your Forum and say hello. This October, we're having our Catfish Convention, and we're planning a collecting trip. In past years, we've gone to the Rivanna River below Charlottesville.

Would any of you know of a spot that's closer to the DC area-- perhaps north of Richmond-- where we would be able to collect madtoms and other native species? We typically charter a bus for the trip, so any spot would have to have parking for the bus.

Thanks.

http://www.sonnysfishroom.com

You never know what you're going to find, or where you're going to find it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sonnysfishroom.com
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Bob from PVAS   Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:29 pm

Welcome, Bob!

We adore the catfish convention, and we're also very interested in joining in on collecting trips.

I'll ask around and see what I can come up with that might suit your next adventure, and thanks for checking in with us!!  Very Happy 

View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Bob from PVAS   Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:39 pm

By the way, how did you find us?

View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Bob from PVAS   Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:47 pm

I think it was Tracey's post about the CVAS meeting/meet-up on the PVAS forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Bob from PVAS   Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Hey Bob - glad you found us and glad you took the time to say hello!!!!

I am definitely looking forward to the Catfish Convention, can't wait!

In regards to the collecting activities: I have never collected, but I am very, very interested and just have never found the right opportunity - meaning I don't want to go on my own because I would have no idea how to go about it.....

What about the Rapidan or Rappahanick rivers here in Fredericksburg? That would be a rather central point for folks from NOVA and Richmond...

As I said, I've been interested in collecting and learning more about our native species and last year I posted on NANFA and received some great information from a gentlemen who used to live in Fredericksburg and collected in these areas extensively.

He moved to the Christansburg area but told me he returns to Fredericksburg regularly and would love to collect with me when he returns. Comes to find out I know him, he worked at Petco in Fredericksburg and I talked fish with him many, many times. His name is Derek and he was very active on the NANFA boards. If you think either of these waterways would be good sites, I would have no problem contacting Derek to assist in whatever capacity the organizers might desire or you may also know him?

I'm pretty sure you will find interest from the membership on this forum to participate if the collection site is within reasonable travel....

MEMBERS: make sure you take a look at Bobs website - the link is underneath his name in his post.... His water change system is very interesting - cool stuff.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Bob from PVAS   Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Hey Bob - that is of course Derek Wheaton that gundog is talking about. He should know that area better than anyone (besides other VDGIF staff). Josh Wiegert might also know some good spots. Hope you're coming to NANFA in June, in Crossnore NC. (we'll be seining and/or snorkeling in 5 different river basins everybody!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sonny Disposition
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Bob from PVAS   Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Yes, that was it.

@verbal wrote:
I think it was Tracey's post about the CVAS meeting/meet-up on the PVAS forum.

Back to top Go down
Sonny Disposition
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Bob from PVAS   Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi Tracey-- would you know if there is parking at either of those site? At some point this spring, I'd need to travel to any new site and check it out. When the time comes, I'll post a notice so that you or any other CVAS members can come along.

Thanks for the mention of my blog. (Now all I need is the time to update it.)

@thegundog wrote:
Hey Bob - glad you found us and glad you took the time to say hello!!!!

I am definitely looking forward to the Catfish Convention, can't wait!

In regards to the collecting activities: I have never collected, but I am very, very interested and just have never found the right opportunity - meaning I don't want to go on my own because I would have no idea how to go about it.....

What about the Rapidan or Rappahanick rivers here in Fredericksburg? That would be a rather central point for folks from NOVA and Richmond...

As I said, I've been interested in collecting and learning more about our native species and last year I posted on NANFA and received some great information from a gentlemen who used to live in Fredericksburg and collected in these areas extensively.

He moved to the Christansburg area but told me he returns to Fredericksburg regularly and would love to collect with me when he returns. Comes to find out I know him, he worked at Petco in Fredericksburg and I talked fish with him many, many times. His name is Derek and he was very active on the NANFA boards. If you think either of these waterways would be good sites, I would have no problem contacting Derek to assist in whatever capacity the organizers might desire or you may also know him?

I'm pretty sure you will find interest from the membership on this forum to participate if the collection site is within reasonable travel....

MEMBERS: make sure you take a look at Bobs website - the link is underneath his name in his post.... His water change system is very interesting - cool stuff.

Back to top Go down
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Bob from PVAS   Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:54 pm

I just want to say that I too enjoyed reading through your blog, and particularly like the info about making fish food! The details about color supplementation is informative and intriguing - I need to get on the stick!

View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Bob from PVAS   Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:54 pm

@Sonny Disposition wrote:
Hi Tracey-- would you know if there is parking at either of those site?  

Bob - I do not know, but I will find out and follow up with you. I'm also going to send you an e-mail just to get a better idea of what is needed...

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Bob from PVAS   Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:10 am

Welcome, Bob!  Welcome to CVAS and to the CVAS community.  

WOW! Between Tracey, Bob, this guy Derek, and Gerald to encourage and give even more guidance, a real Natives collecting trip may actually be in the offing soon!  

I'm going off now to check out Bob's Blog.
 Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bob from PVAS   

Back to top Go down

Bob from PVAS

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-