Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Otocinclus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Otocinclus    Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:21 am

I had a little shock yesterday. I was taking down a 29g tank that I had a pair of Platinum Angels in so I removed the Angels, drained the tank added about half the water back in, turned the heater off and was waiting until I had time to remove the driftwood and clean the filter system. At one time I had some Panda and Juli cories as well as 3 Otocinclus in there. I removed all of them prior to removing the Angels. I went to complete the task of cleaning out the tank when I noticed several small fish in the tank. As it turn out, my Ottos had spawned and the eggs hatched. I have had Ottos for a very long time and have never had them breed. I am curious if any one else have had success breeding Ottos? I will try to post some pics later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus    Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:40 am

Hey! gratz. I have seen people try to breed ottos with big numbers in heavily planted tanks. But successive rate is very low that way. I would be interested to know if you did anything special or what kind of water parameters you had when the tank was running.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus    Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:50 am

I love it! This is one of those surprises that is welcome, for sure. I'm glad you spotted them in time.

I have never kept otos in any consistent manner and have never bred them for sure, but I have definitely had my share of accidental spawnings of tetras. I've found babies inside canister filters when I go to clean them, obviously being sucked up into the filter before they had a chance to be eaten. I've accidentally bred white clouds and ember tetras, but I probably couldn't do it if I tried, lol!

Congrats on your new babies - what a great discovery!

View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus    Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:52 am

Sad to say I do not know. This tank was for a breeding pair of Angels and I had decided to down size and take it off line. I still did weekly water changes but little more. And for the last 2 week nothing at all. Maybe that was the trick. I will check the water later today. I moved the trio to a 55g so I will watch to see if they continue to breed.

Out of the faucet my water is soft, 6.8 ph. I have a large amount of Java moss on a large piece of Malaysian driftwood so nitrates were/are probably low. Pool filter sand and 1 Java fern. That's all that's in the tank.

The Ottos were added because of a brown algae problem at the time. They cleared that up and I just left them in there. I have several other tanks with Ottos, always try to keep 3 or more in a tank, but never noticed any of them breeding or trying to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus    Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:57 am

@DLW wrote:
I am curious if any one else have had success breeding Ottos? I will try to post some pics later.

Congratulations on the baby Otos, David!  Very Happy  It looks like a little bit of benign "neglect" and just leaving them be did the trick for you.  My Otos spawned in a heavily planted tank where I did nothing special, but the eggs were always eaten.  I believe the cherry barbs acted as a stimulus to get them going.  

Our member, James of Spotsylvania, is an Otocinclus breeder, and very successful.  
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t586-james-from-fredericksburg  

It might be interesting and helpful to review some of his breeding blogs.  
Here is the Planet Catfish link which lists his separate breeding threads:  
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/search.php?keywords=james0816&fid[0]=5

neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus    Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Very interesting didn't know someone very close was breeding them. Do you know if he sells???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus    Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:57 pm

Pretty neat story DLW. Congrats on the spawn.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Otocinclus    

Back to top Go down

Otocinclus

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Breeding-