Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

New breeder box

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
surfersrevolution
CVASMember

PostSubject: New breeder box   Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:54 am

So I got a great big "care package" from Ken's Fish yesterday. Included was my large Marina hang-on-back breeder box. I've since assembled it and put my fry in there and it has so far been the best purchase ever. I've had horrible luck with the other types of floating breeder boxes and nets and have lost so many fry from them either escaping or getting somehow stuck where they shouldn't be.

We stuck a thermometer in there to make sure it holds temperature along with the main tank and sure enough it does. I'm very impressed with this box overall and I love that it constantly pumps fresh water through.

I'm just curious for all the other fish breeders here, what type of box or net have you had success with, if you use any at all?

~ Sarah M.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New breeder box   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:26 am

I use an old HOB unpowered filter box to hold Angelfish fry. I place it inside a empty (fishless) ten gallon tank. I use U shaped rigid tubes to siphon fresh water from the host tank into the holding container and out to a waste container. In function, it works very similar to your setup in that it shares water from a host tank. Good luck and please keep us updated...  Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)

Last edited by JohnnyAMH on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:02 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New breeder box   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:45 am

What are the dimensions of this breeder box? How many ounces does it hold? Can it be used for regular viewing/acclimation? Or is it too specific for breeding/fry holding?
Thanks!

surfersrevolution
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New breeder box   Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:37 am

@Deb wrote:
What are the dimensions of this breeder box?  How many ounces does it hold?  Can it be used for regular viewing/acclimation?  Or is it too specific for breeding/fry holding?

According to the website I got it from it is 10 1/4" wide, 6" high and 6" deep. I don't have anything to measure it with on hand but that seems accurate. It holds 2 liters of water or half a gallon. I use a cheap Topfin 5 gallon air pump from Petsmart with it and it works great.  If you have small enough fish it could be great to use for acclimation. I wouldn't use it for any of my adult cichlids since it's too small for them to turn around in comfortably, but it would definitely work for juveniles. There's also different sizes of this thing available, I just ordered the largest one for comfort of my growing fry while I get their grow-out tank up and running (which supplies for that were the other things that came in my care package! Smile). It also came with 2 breathable dividers so you can make 3 separate areas within the box itself, but since I've only got one small group of fry at the moment I'm letting them have the run of the box.

@JohnnyAMH wrote:
I use an old HOB unpowered filter box to hatch Angelfish eggs

That seems like a really great and cost effective idea! I had never thought of that before. Might do that later on if I get more/different batches of fry that need space to acclimate to a new tank.

I started out with the Lee's 2 Way Breeding Trap and had a horrible time with it. I threw my fry in there only to watch them slip right through the vents and get eaten! I later used it for a "resting" area before I had my hospital tank for bullied fish, only to come back a few hours later and find my bullied fish dead, presumably from lack of oxygen or stress from the other fish bashing into the box. Then I graduated to the Penn-Plax Net breeder and had more success, but the fry kept getting wedged between the net itself and the frame of the box and dying before I could free them. I like the net though, and currently use it to keep adult fish if I see them getting bullied. It has enough "bounce" to it that even if the other fish poke at it the separate fish can maintain a relative level of peace. Smile

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New breeder box   Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Okay, thanks for the information and the link.  Many of those who reviewed this product on Ken's site said they use it without the pump, which is what I would do since it would be used mostly for acclimation or brief out-of-tank holding.  
(Although, I actually have a cheap Top Fin pump, too! *lol*)

If it holds two liters (~half gallon) then it's twice as big as my current viewing box, which is great.
 Very Happy

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New breeder box   Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:50 pm

I am a big fan of these. I use them extensively for BN pleco fry(2 of them are holding fry right now).

I think this is one of the best bang for your buck purchases in the fish hobby. Basically you add another tank for less than $11. Although it may be hard to top the python water changer.

I have actually found a product that I prefer slightly, but it is 2 to 3 times the price. It is an acrylic box that goes inside the tank and uses magnets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New breeder box   

Back to top Go down

New breeder box

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Breeding-