Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Internal Parasite?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Internal Parasite?   Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:15 pm

What size is your tank? 125g
What species of fish do you have? See fish list link
How long has your tank been running? 2 months

Is it CYCLED? Yes

Temperature  79 -80 degF
Ammonia (NH3/4) 0
Nitrite (NO2) 0
pH 8.0 - 8.2
Nitrate (NO3) 20 - 30 ppm

Diet What are you feeding your fish? NLS Cichlid small pellets, Omega Veggie Wafer, Extreme Cichlid medium pellets

Any new introductions to the tank? Fish? Decorations?Plants? No

What symptoms do they have?  Observed clearish stringy floaters in tank

What is your MAINTENANCE schedule, and what product/s (if any) do you use in your aquarium?  50% WC weekly, Kent's Cichlid Buffer, H2O Aquatics African Rift Lake Salt

In process of setting up 10g tank as hospital tank. Should I use sponge filter or small HOB? Any recommendations/help appreciated.

Posted video on Youtube

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Internal Parasite?   Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:51 am

Sounds like one possibility could be Intestinal Flagelltes.

Symptoms: Your fish may quit eating or spit out its food. White, stringy, mucus-like feces will hang like a thread from the anus.

Your fish may be dark in color and stay in the back of the tank away from the other fish.

Treat with Metronidazole sold in LFS as Hex-A-Mit or Metrozol. Can be purchased online from Amazon or other sites. The most effective dose is 400 – 500 mg per 10 gallons of water. A high water temperature of 85 + degrees should be maintained throughout treatment. Dose metronidazole each day after a 50% water change for 3 to 5 days. (Watch your fish for stress!) Water used for water changes should be close to 85 degrees. Keep water temperature elevated for a week after treatment ends. It may take a week or so for the fish to regain it’s appetite. In severe cases of long standing disease you may need to dose metronidazole every 8 hours for three days. It is safe to dose all fish in tank or you can remove the affected fish and treat them in a smaller hospital tank. Metronidazole will not hurt your bio-filter.

Like any medication, remove carbon from you filter. I keep a running database of fish diseases once I encounter them and the treatments that worked, as well as the ones that didn't. Keep in mind, I had this issue with Discus not cichlids so adjust as you see fit.

Other treatment that had success, Clout when caught early.

Hope this helps

David
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Internal Parasite?   Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:35 am

Excellent advice David. I found another product that saved several of my Angels and some Peacocks which also contains Metro from API called General Cure. I had difficulty finding locally just metronidazole but did find the General Cure at Petsmart and worked well. I have since bought just Metro on line just to keep on hand for emergency.
In my case I found waiting to get ordered I lost some fish, so IMO I would start ASAP.

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Internal Parasite?   Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks for the replies. Is the treatment mixed with food or just added to tank? Also, I have both a 10 and 20 gallon spare, which would be the better hospital/quarantine tank if I go that route?

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Internal Parasite?   Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:24 am

I personally would treat whole tank. Strong chance tank mates have or will get also. Good prevention or cure. There are some foods you can purchase with metro but I have not found locally. Some say a better way to treat. David is far more knowledgeable than me but I would treat whole tank and get started right away. Especially since a few days have gone by already. This is often a killer and fairly quickly.

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Internal Parasite?   Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks. I will go ahead and treat while tank. If I'm just being paranoid, this treatment will not be harmful? Sorry for asking questions that may have been asked many times before, still have alot to learn. It would be nice if there was a chat feature available.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Internal Parasite?   Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Metronidazole isn't harmful to anything in your tank and it won't eliminate your beneficial bacteria. I use General Cure like Ron mentioned when I see a fish not going after his food or getting thinner and it does help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
surfersrevolution
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Internal Parasite?   Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:28 pm

I just had a similar experience with my cichlid tank. I bought Seachem's Metronidazole and Focus online and made up a big batch of medicated pellet food. It seemed to work great. Three days of feeding the medicated food and my fish were back to being normal "healthy poopers". ;)There's a thread about this very subject here on Cichlid Forum right now that might be helpful.

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Internal Parasite?   Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:29 am

Thanks. My LFS sells metronidazole by the gram @ $1.25/gram. They recommended 2 grams, mixed with water, soak food, let dry, and feed over the next few days. The article in Cichlid Forum was very informative. It's also good to know I can get the metronidazole locally in an emergency. They also had several other treatments/chemicals available (behind the counter LOL). They use it for their tanks but also sell to customers who ask. I also bought Seachem's Garlic Guard. Did you also perform the Epsom salt addition recommended in the article? I'm going to try the medicated food first, and will have to go back to buy more to treat the tank in general.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
surfersrevolution
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Internal Parasite?   Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:47 am

I did the salt treatment as well. I'm not sure if it helped or if the medicine helped but I figured I'd "follow the directions". Smile

Also just curious what's the name of your LFS that sells metro? I was unable to find it anywhere in my area but would be willing to travel if an emergency arises.

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Internal Parasite?   Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:31 am

Pet Aquatic Warehouse, Lynchburg. I may be going back today, I didn't have a mortar/pestle to get it into a very fine powder. It's having a hard time dissolving. Does the Focus help bind the metronidazole to the food? I used both small and medium sized pellets.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
surfersrevolution
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Internal Parasite?   Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:33 pm

I actually think the Focus helped the metro dissolve in water, because I really didn't have too much of a problem with that although there were one or two little chunks in it after I added water. It seemed to soak quickly into the food and there was a little yellow-ish coating around my pellets when they dried, which I assume was the Focus since it's yellow. I also used small and medium pellets.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Internal Parasite?   

Back to top Go down

Internal Parasite?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-