Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Outdoor tanks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ciscosdad
CVASMember

PostSubject: Outdoor tanks   Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:16 am

I don't have the room for any more tanks in the house at the moment. Since the weather is about to break and I seem to have a few 20g laying around i was thinking about putting some on my east facing patio. Has anyone done this or do you have any advice? I plan on using them for grow out of Apistogramma fry.
Thanks

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor tanks   Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:08 am

Unless you have a ton of apisto fry, I would be nervous about losing them if they went outside. At the very least I would try a hardier test fish first. I do think keeping fish outdoors in the summer can be a good idea. I probably will add tanks/stock tanks in my detached garage this summer.

If you need more space for apisto fry, you might use the Marina External breeder boxes, once they outgrow those, they can probably go back in the main tank. Another option for grow out space can be a sump if the water level is high and the flow isn't too strong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor tanks   Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:32 am

Since it is an eastern exposure you won't have to worry too much about the sun, but that water is going to get over 90 degrees this summer, even in the shade. Prior to that, the daytime is warm but the nighttime is cool, so that's another thing to think about.

I keep gambusia on my deck in the summer as a mosquito trap, in a very large tub, and the water definitely gets hot, but these fish are collected in my neighborhood and they do fine. I return them to the creek in the fall.

View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor tanks   Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:13 pm

We can have nighttime dips into the low 50's well into June; in small tanks that might be lethal to Apistos from lower elevations in northern S. Amer (most of the Amazon and Orinoco basins). Apistos from farther south (Bolivia to Argentina) and those from higher elevations in the western Amazon (Peru) where temps naturally drop below 50 F might do okay. A. borellii and trifasciata are some the better known cool-tolerant Apistos. Bigger container would of course be more temp-stable, and you can surround tanks with styrofoam if there's a risk of a cold snap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outdoor tanks   

Back to top Go down

Outdoor tanks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-